Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

SR6 Pure Mysadept

<< < (3/5) > >>

markelphoenix:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---
--- Quote from: Lormyr on ---
--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Mystic Adepts are not a type of Adept. (There's no such thing as a Physical Adpet anymore...)  Ergo, when a rule says "Adepts can..." it does not also mean "Adepts and Mystic Adepts can....".
--- End quote ---

This cannot be true, otherwise Mystic Adepts can never gain PP, since the Metamagic says "Adepts Only".
--- End quote ---

Qi Foci, too.

News flash: we still haven't achieved perfection ;)

--- End quote ---

Yeah...I have a feeling this missed errata/review. If a Mystic Adept is not a subclass of Adept...even though it's in the name, and are unable to take anything that is listed Adept Only.....then they have no means of advancing anything that is adept related (Initiation Power Point Metamagic and Qi Foci)....sooo....yeah, I guess someone could just choose Priority B and grab 3 ranks of Increase Reflexes and never think about the Adept portion of being a Mystic Adept...but...well, tell me you see an issue with this interpretation?

Seems far more reasonable interpretation that Mystic Adept is a type of Adept... I mean, it's in the name. That is the only way it makes any sense....otherwise, what of the character that choose Mystic Adept with Magic Rank B, chooses to spend all Magic on Spells, with no Power Points. Are you telling me that it is RAI that they never get to use ANY Adept abilities?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: markelphoenix on ---
--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Mystic Adepts are not a type of Adept. (There's no such thing as a Physical Adpet anymore...)  Ergo, when a rule says "Adepts can..." it does not also mean "Adepts and Mystic Adepts can....".
--- End quote ---

This cannot be true, otherwise Mystic Adepts can never gain PP, since the Metamagic says "Adepts Only".
--- End quote ---

Qi Foci, too.

--- End quote ---

Yeah...I have a feeling this missed errata/review. If a Mystic Adept is not a subclass of Adept...even though it's in the name, and are unable to take anything that is listed Adept Only.....then they have no means of advancing anything that is adept related (Initiation Power Point Metamagic and Qi Foci)....sooo....yeah, I guess someone could just choose Priority B and grab 3 ranks of Increase Reflexes and never think about the Adept portion of being a Mystic Adept...but...well, tell me you see an issue with this interpretation?
--- End quote ---

*grits teeth*  it wasn't MISSED.

(not that I'm angry with you for seeing that it was necessary errata, of course...)

--- Quote ---Seems far more reasonable interpretation that Mystic Adept is a type of Adept... I mean, it's in the name. That is the only way it makes any sense....otherwise, what of the character that choose Mystic Adept with Magic Rank B, chooses to spend all Magic on Spells, with no Power Points.
--- End quote ---

I don't buy it.  Not even for a dollar.

Adepts and Mystic Adepts are two different kinds of things you can pick to be in your Magic priority.  You can't be both an Adept and a Mystic Adept any more than you can be both an Aspected Magician and a Full Magician.

--- Quote ---Are you telling me that it is RAI that they never get to use ANY Adept abilities?

--- End quote ---

Nope, that's not what I'm telling you at all.  I'm telling you that they are something that's NOT an Adept, but do get diminished access to PPs and with those fewer PPs they get, they can buy the same Adept powers that Adepts buy.

And let's flip this on its ear.  Do you think that, for the exact same priority picks, it's fair for one Adept to have PPs and only PPs, and another "kind of adept" to have just as many, PLUS spirits, PLUS the ability to learn spells?  That's seriously fair in any way?

markelphoenix:

--- Quote from: markelphoenix on ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Qi Foci, too.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

*grits teeth*  it wasn't MISSED.

(not that I'm angry with you for seeing that it was necessary errata, of course...)

--- Quote ---Seems far more reasonable interpretation that Mystic Adept is a type of Adept... I mean, it's in the name. That is the only way it makes any sense....otherwise, what of the character that choose Mystic Adept with Magic Rank B, chooses to spend all Magic on Spells, with no Power Points.
--- End quote ---

I don't buy it.  Not even for a dollar.

Adepts and Mystic Adepts are two different kinds of things you can pick to be in your Magic priority.  You can't be both an Adept and a Mystic Adept any more than you can be both an Aspected Magician and a Full Magician.

--- Quote ---Are you telling me that it is RAI that they never get to use ANY Adept abilities?

--- End quote ---

Nope, that's not what I'm telling you at all.  I'm telling you that they are something that's NOT an Adept, but do get diminished access to PPs and with those fewer PPs they get, they can buy the same Adept powers that Adepts buy.

--- End quote ---

You agree that they can enver advance their Adept Powers post chargen, though, per RAW, if indeed Mystic Adept is not a type of Adept?

Pg. 168 Power Point (Adepts Only) (on metamagics)

pg. 155 Qi (pronounced “chee”) foci only work for adepts.

So, you hold that Mystic Adepts are not a type of Adept. You also hold that they can't use Qi Foci because it explicitly states it only works for Adepts. You also hold that Magic increases do not raise Mystic Adept PP post Chargen because it states simply Adept and Not Mystic Adept. If all of that logic is true and we must stay consistent, then the Metamagic of Power Point is limited to only Adepts and not Mystic Adepts, therefore Mystic Adepts can NEVER advance their adept abilities post-chargen.

Do you believe that is intentional or an error? Alternatively, would it make more sense that Mystic Adepts, except where a specific rule references them (such as chargen), have Adept rules applied to them?

Lormyr:
So SSDR, let me preface by saying that I agree that I do not believe it is intended for Mystic Adepts to gain PP from raising magic, nor do I believe that allowing that would be a good move balance wise. We're 100% on the same page in terms of end result.

That said, I do have to say that legalese is very flimsy at best, for two primary reasons.

1. Much like SR5, mystic adepts can still take anything a regular adept can, with the primary difference in the archetypes on the adept side being the different formulas for how they generate their power points.

Since the SR6 CRB doesn't differentiate that in any way, only having a how power points are gained section under adept powers (which applies to both), it is only reasonable to operate with the understanding that section applies to both.

2. You say that adept no longer equals mystic adept, and that is totally fine if that is the intent, but I think you will also realize that is at best very poorly and at worse not at all pointed out anywhere. The current language is not clear from either a change blindness from earlier editions or brand spanking new to the brand reading.

Again though, I agree with the intent of your reading. We just need the language cleared up significantly so it actually says that.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
I told you the intent is that Mystic Adepts can indeed bond Qi Foci and gain PPs via the Power Point initiation.

I've also told you that's the ONLY ways they can gain PPs (aside from picking a higher pick in chargen, up to A).  This is the part you seem to have a problem agreeing with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version