NEWS

Deus still out there?

• 101 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #60 on: <05-10-15/0059:17> »
... We'll probably get more word on what Deus has been doing all this time as things go forward.

Creating Technomancer's 3.0?

Wait wait wait, too easy! Killing all the Technomancers and bringing back Otaku so that when all the wifi signals are crashed forever It's ready for the Wired Matrix 2.0!
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #61 on: <05-10-15/1646:50> »
Gigantic Wall of Text.
Mighty Devil Rats ! Thanks for this amazing answer about everything I always wanted to know about everything, but mostly Deus.

Is this all part of "Renraku Arcology: Shutdown" ? Or are there other books to consider? I'd like to read that first hand after reading through this Topic. :)
Thank you very much, you're very welcome. :)

Actually there are three decisive books on that topic, as it encompassed the meta-plot for the complete 3rd edition of SR. Renraku Arcology: Shutdown was the first of these books, bridging SR2 and SR3. The final book for the edition was System Failure, which narrated the Crash of 2064. The third book would be the adventure supplement accompanying RS:A, which was called Brainscan. It covered fighting Deus in the Arcology and his ultimate plan to leave it.
Liber et infractus

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #62 on: <05-11-15/0108:16> »
Not accompanying - following.  There's a significant difference.  TheDai, the order is RA:Shutdown, Brainscan, and finally System Failure.  There are additional elements in Threats 2, but they are functionally rolled into System Failure.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #63 on: <05-11-15/0309:21> »
Personally I am disappointed too that Deus is back again, though to what extend this time. Several headcases in Lockdown carry aspects of his personally (Stace only has him in a slight degree, namely his paranoia, while Abigail has his megalomania).
The question remains whether he was fully consumed by the creation of Cereus as the result of the raging battle in the MIT&T servers, whether he was able to escape into the matrix, whether he is hiding inside Eilohann (please say no) or whether he will be able to recompile through the headcases.
As of Lockdown a battle is going on inside of the headcases for control, a battle much like then old Network, though is it two-sided (only Cerberus vs Deus) or with Cereus or even other AIs in the mix.

Reading through Lockdown I got the feeling Deus was added as an afterthought, because Deus ... I wished he was gone but oh well. Hopefully NeoNet will prevail.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <05-11-15/0411:14> »
Having reviewed certain elements of System Failure, I have to believe that it isn't actually Deus, merely elements of his code.  But one can hope.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Zukkel

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <05-11-15/0423:55> »
Actually, I think it seems really far fetched to believe that this is the same Deus, that dissapeared in the Crash 2.0.
If not in the Crash itself, I think he has changed in the time after that, whatever he has done.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <05-11-15/0829:09> »
Lockdown seems pretty unequivocal to me in the various statements that Deus is back. Who knows what years in the ECSE host did to it, or if that's where the code even came from. It's beyond doubt that Pax had a hand in his revival and that Pax is working on creating a massive Dissonance pool in Boston, which means Ex Pacis could have pulled Deus' source code from the Resonance/Dissonance Realms.

At this point, I think the only thing we can reliably know is that the writers of Lockdown intends for us to believe that Deus, as we know and love to hate it, is back to wreak havoc on the world once more.

Also, The Wyrm Ouroboros; which parts of System Failure specifically makes you believe that it is "merely" elements of Deus' code that has been restored?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #67 on: <05-11-15/1358:29> »
I still haven't finished Lockdown, so maybe my current assumptions are totally wrong, but from what I've read so far, I get the impression Deus is not the main threat. He is not the mastermind behind CFD, and is, in a way, a victim of it. Project Vulcan was meant to be able to reunite a e-ghost with a body (namely, put Cerberus back into Eliohann). I suspect Dodger also had a hand in it, to put his sweetheart AI into a meatbody somehow (come to think of it, that's pretty creepy).
PAX brought back Deus to sabotage the project to her own ends and create chaos, maybe to feed her Dissonance pool. The current form of Deus is just a rabid, confused beast unleashed by PAX. I think she's really amused to see her former master reduced to this sorry state.
In other words, this second (third?) coming of Deus is just a distraction, a red herring. PAX is the true evil this time around. While everyone is busy freaking out over Deus' return, she is free to achieve... whatever she's trying to achieve.

That's how I see it so far, at least. Fortunately I'm on a business trip in a few days, plenty of time on the plane to finish the book ^^
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #68 on: <05-11-15/1945:43> »
Honestly that sounds significantly more interesting than any previous postulations I've read. If it turns out that way I for one will be more interested and happy about it. If only that in some way will shake up the matrix enough to make it less unequivocally stupid.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <05-12-15/0044:28> »
Pretty much everything that discusses the post-Arcology relationship of Pax and Deus, Brackhaus; to sum it up, she hates him with an unholy passion.  HE is the reason she used the ECSE at the moment of his attempted ascension as the trigger for the Jormungand virus and Crash 2.0; she did it because she knew he would be there, trying to (essentially) upgrade into the entire Matrix (not unlike Lawnmower Man, as I recall), and she wanted to spike his wagon wheel at the absolute worst possible moment for him.

What Marzhin says is, I think, as close to the truth as possible.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #70 on: <05-12-15/0332:56> »
Well Marzhin and Ouroboros you sold me, when I stop being poor/broke I'll have to pick those books up. Side thought is ECSE supposed to sound like .exe? Cause that would be silly and clever.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #71 on: <05-12-15/0432:13> »
East Coast Stock Exchange.  Eesie-Essie, perhaps.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #72 on: <05-12-15/0824:15> »
My reading is similar to Marzhin's.  Deus as we think of him isn't back so much as shards of his personality are infused (to varying degrees) in the localized CFD virus.  Abigail Edwards didn't become Deus, she became a single aspect of his personality.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #73 on: <05-12-15/0847:34> »
As I said ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <05-12-15/1255:03> »
Either way, Deus (whatever he might be) fighting Cerberus for control of the body (and mind) of Eliohann is Bad News (TM) for everyone else, pretty much. Not to mention the fact that Pax ostensibly did manage to pull together a (several?) pool(s) of Dissonance in Boston. The latter is equally frightening as the re-emergence of Deus, to my mind.