NEWS

Revisiting the 30-day new Sourcebook rule

• 59 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <06-02-14/2308:37> »
The current rule for new sourcebooks is that they become Mission-legal 30 days after the print release date, or just 30 days after release date for PDF-only books.

However, it's been nearly two months since Run & Gun was released in PDF form, with not even an announcement when we might expect the print edition to hit the market.

Would it be reasonable to revisit the standard 30-day rule if these delays keep happening?

-k

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-03-14/1552:13> »
The related question - how do we know if a product has a print release?  Where can I go to see if Gun Heaven 3 or Stolen Souls is going to be a print product*?

* If you say "the forums"...not a good answer for the general public.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-03-14/1704:34> »
Go to the BattleShop and see if there's a print-and-PDF combo. Or ask your FLGS to check with their distributor.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <06-03-14/1720:10> »
Karma:  Unfortunately, the rule stands.  Mainly to keep the playing field level for all players.  Many SHadowrun players do not buy PDF books (There's a surprisingly large subsection of players who barely even look at the PDF offerings or even pay attention to release dates and upcoming books.  They just pick things up when they show up at their FLGS.  Thankfully, this subsection is shrinking, but still).   Allowing these products earlier based on the PDF date and not the print street date, especially around convention season when we get the most people playing, is basically telling players that they HAVE to get the PDFs if they want to stay competitive with their fellow players. 

I'm all for more PDF sales, but ultimately, this isn't fair to all our players. :(

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #4 on: <06-03-14/1722:15> »
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_193&products_id=3185
http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Fifth-Edition-Jason-Hardy/dp/1936876515

I have reason to believe that BattleShop is not a credible source of information, given they seem to think the SR5 core rulebook hasn't been released yet.

Searching Amazon, however, reveals that Run and Gun physical copy is announced... but Amazon has one of their placeholder dates, so there's no release date set yet.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-03-14/1726:52> »
I have reason to believe that BattleShop is not a credible source of information, given they seem to think the SR5 core rulebook hasn't been released yet.

I know it's a little pedantic, but the question was a source for which products will be printed and which will be PDF only. While the last line of the BattleShop listing does suggest the SR5 book is still in pre-order, it also does say that the product in question is a hard copy book. It answers the question that Fedifensor asked.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-03-14/1746:44> »
I know, but the question was asked in relation to the timescale of waiting before something is Missions-legal. If Fedifensor were to trust BattleShop, he would still think that the SR5 core rulebook is not Missions legal yet. So you would be trading him not knowing whether or not a book will ever be printed to him having reason to believe that the waiting period on Missions legality is spotty in how it is applied.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-03-14/2011:26> »
Might not be a bad idea to include a list of products that are Missions legal as a sticky post in this forum?
Power corrupts.

martinchaen

« Reply #8 on: <06-03-14/2041:52> »
How about the official website. Haven't seen much there for missions lately. Would make for a sensible location to my mind, along with the missions FAQ and other related documents...

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #9 on: <06-03-14/2054:17> »
I need an intern to handle this stuff.

The website is a whole other pile of problems.  Let's...  Lets not discuss that for now, shall we?

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-03-14/2107:51> »
As long as it doesn't involve skimpy uniforms, I could volunteer for that ^^

The skimpy uniforms are a no-go for a very good reason. Not because I wouldn't wear them, but because everyone else would be horrified by them. Plus, I need to lose about 30 pounds of what looks like a beer belly to have the right figure... so, it would be like sticking a Bigfoot version of Homer Simpson in a miniskirt.

martinchaen

« Reply #11 on: <06-03-14/2114:29> »
Seconded; if it's all about collecting information and submitting it for upload, consider this post my application for the internet hamster position :-)

Even if it isn't, there's got to be a handful of people right here who'd volunteer to do this kind of stuff, unpaid labour and all that good stuff.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <06-04-14/0443:03> »
What we probably also need as temporary fix is a post with direct links to the announcement posts of books on the blog. These always mention whether there will be a physical book, while also having the links to purchase in them. That is something fans can easily help maintain and is quite low-burden, so wouldn't require an intern.

(What would likely require an intern is someone digging through every post Bull made and extract possible FAQ-updates from them. While people can ask and get the answer, people who only have the official FAQ at hand might get confused by the book and for example think a 5/2 contact only has 5+2 dice, rather than 5+5+2, or think Quick Healer works the way Hero Lab has it work, with a +2 on healing others as well.)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <06-04-14/1139:29> »
Did a quick look through here and dumpshock and  found the following items:

*Quick Healer - It only effects the player who has it.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=16346.msg288642#msg288642

*Connection+Connection+Loyalty plus a few other clarifications; -

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39372&st=0&p=1249714&hl=loyalty&#entry1249714

#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <06-04-14/1201:33> »
Below is a work-in-progress list and not official or any such thing:

Allowed Books/PDFs
ShadowRun 5th Edition Main Rulebook
Assassin's Primer
Gun H(e)aven 3
Sail Away Sweet Sister

Disallowed Books/PDFs
Run & Gun
Stolen Souls
Bullets and Bandages
« Last Edit: <06-05-14/1614:44> by tequila »
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X