NEWS

Shadowrun: Anarchy

• 116 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #15 on: <05-15-16/1438:19> »
...  Wow. 

They can't even be bothered to fix the shoddy rules they've released so far, so they're going to make another set.  Not even a new edition with the intent to not make the same mistakes, just more. 

I'm most definitely NOT thinking "that sounds cool."  This is what it is coming to?  More, different rules instead of fixing the stuff that needs attention? 

I've officially hit the point where I'm not going to financially support Catalyst again.  There isn't an option for redemption at this point.  No more 5th Edition supplements for me (or 6th, if Catalyst manages to keep their hold on Shadowrun that long).  If I need more Shadowrun content, I'll make it myself.  At least then I know it'll be edited properly. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #16 on: <05-15-16/1540:16> »
I don't think the intention is to creste different story lines. Rather, Anarchy is an alternative rule set that can be used to play in the establish SR universe. Does this mean that future supplements will be dual-started?
No.

There's a lot more I'd love to say to this and other comments, but can't, NDAs being NDAs, but things won't be dual statted (and won't need to be).

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-15-16/1602:43> »
Thanks for confirming Critias.

adzling

« Reply #18 on: <05-15-16/1618:13> »
It does demonstrate a total lack of care for their loyal customers when they decide to churn out alternate setting and alternate rules systems without fixing the horrific dross they have in 5e first.

...  Wow. 

They can't even be bothered to fix the shoddy rules they've released so far, so they're going to make another set.  Not even a new edition with the intent to not make the same mistakes, just more. 

I'm most definitely NOT thinking "that sounds cool."  This is what it is coming to?  More, different rules instead of fixing the stuff that needs attention? 

I've officially hit the point where I'm not going to financially support Catalyst again.  There isn't an option for redemption at this point.  No more 5th Edition supplements for me (or 6th, if Catalyst manages to keep their hold on Shadowrun that long).  If I need more Shadowrun content, I'll make it myself.  At least then I know it'll be edited properly.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-15-16/1618:13> »
Then I'm hopeful that the "won't need to be" statement is due to them being compatible with SR5 :D

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #20 on: <05-15-16/1654:58> »
Personally I think it sounds (potentially) great.  I love the setting, don't especially love the rules.  Before coming back to SR after a long time away had been playing a more narrative driven rules set that let us play with character sheets and a die or two, SR seemed so crazily retro with the loads of dice and scads of big books (or PDFs).

I'm not positive they'll make something I want to play, but I'm hopeful.  Especially for play by forum types of games this could really be a boon.

And, you know, maybe a simpler, clearer, system will be easier to edit and balance.  I'm hopeful that technomancer and aspected mages will be easier to enjoy, and some of the other balance issues not so much an issue :)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-15-16/2000:04> »
Personally I think it sounds (potentially) great.  I love the setting, don't especially love the rules.  Before coming back to SR after a long time away had been playing a more narrative driven rules set that let us play with character sheets and a die or two, SR seemed so crazily retro with the loads of dice and scads of big books (or PDFs).

I'm not positive they'll make something I want to play, but I'm hopeful.  Especially for play by forum types of games this could really be a boon.

And, you know, maybe a simpler, clearer, system will be easier to edit and balance.  I'm hopeful that technomancer and aspected mages will be easier to enjoy, and some of the other balance issues not so much an issue :)

Pretty much my view... I don't hold out any major hopes for this, but it has piqued my interest.

Don't get me wrong, I really, REALLY wish they'd just fix 5th Ed to begin with, but both me and my players love the world and setting, so if there's a way to play without getting tripped up on a lack of clarity, then it may be a direction we'll go.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

DarkSpade

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <05-16-16/2145:09> »
What am I missing here?  I don't see any mention of this being an alternate setting.  Sounds like it's the same universe, but with a different rule set.

If it means I can throw a grenade down a hallway without needing a scientific calculator to figure out damage, I'm all for it.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #23 on: <05-16-16/2211:34> »
What am I missing here?  I don't see any mention of this being an alternate setting.  Sounds like it's the same universe, but with a different rule set.

I think that part is a complaint about Court of Shadows.

(or not, not always easy to tell the specifics when someone is generally unhappy)

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #24 on: <05-19-16/0001:43> »
Remove pets - no sprites, spirits, agents, or drones, at least for PCs. They just add too much complexity and take away from the character's actions. If you're going to have them, limit it to just one and only one.

This is one thing I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on. In my opinion, drones are a big part of the flavor of the world, as are summoned spirits. You simply can't get rid of them and still have Shadowrun.
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #25 on: <05-19-16/0033:40> »
Remove pets - no sprites, spirits, agents, or drones, at least for PCs. They just add too much complexity and take away from the character's actions. If you're going to have them, limit it to just one and only one.

This is one thing I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on. In my opinion, drones are a big part of the flavor of the world, as are summoned spirits. You simply can't get rid of them and still have Shadowrun.

Don't get me wrong, army of spirits/sprites/drones/agents is cool and thematic, but they add a lot of complexity to the system and can take away from the importance of the player character.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <05-19-16/0216:57> »

Don't get me wrong, army of spirits/sprites/drones/agents is cool and thematic, but they add a lot of complexity to the system and can take away from the importance of the player character.

Frankly if they where simplified, and lets face it a LOT Fing clearer and what they can and can't do (and HOW), it would solve many of the issues.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <05-22-16/1947:54> »
I love the Shadowrun setting and I like many aspects of the rules, but there are WAY too many rules spread over too many books and they're overly complicated for no good reason. Any time I take a break from the game for 4+ months I basically forget every hacking rule and many magic rules. The vehicle rules are really cumbersome too. I really wish the game was a lot lighter on rules so the focus can be on gameplay and story. Having to constantly reference a book during a session or write down paragraphs of rules before a session or make up rules on the fly because you can't remember everything is just not ideal.

5th edition is definitely my favorite and I really like most aspects of it but learning the rules feels like a college course more than it feels like preparing to play a game with friends. If the new rule set is simple and doesn't make the gameplay bland, I'm going to buy it and use it. The main stuff I need from books is gear, skills, qualities, spells, ware and fluff. I really don't need rules upon rules. Look at D&D 5th edition, they made it so simple and it's really easy to dive into the game and even master the rules in a reasonable timeframe. Bottm line for me is that I play rpgs for the immersion, the experience, not for complex rule systems. This new product could be a huge hit for me, HUGE! I just hope it doesn't make the gameplay elements boring.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <05-22-16/2212:53> »
I have friends who won't play Shadowrun because of the large rule set. Hopefully, this book will get them to play Shadowrun.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-23-16/0907:10> »
I have friends who won't play Shadowrun because of the large rule set. Hopefully, this book will get them to play Shadowrun.

Understandable. It is really out of hands when there are dozens if not hundreds of things you need to memorize just to play a hacker. When I hear about new players trying a decker as their first character I actually feel bad for them because it's just too much.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.