NEWS

Improved/Extended Masking and Invisibility

• 6 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <01-23-19/1414:18> »
Two questions:
#1 - Street Grimoire pg 149 lists Masking and Extended Masking, but the Undecided Way for Adepts lists Improved Masking.  Is Improved Masking meant to be Extended Masking?
#2 - If a character uses Extended Masking to include a sustained Invisibility (or Improved Invisibility) spell on themselves while appearing mundane with Masking, how does that appear to an observer?

My thought for #1 is that Improved Masking was meant to be Extended Masking in the Undecided Way, since I can't find Improved Masking anywhere else.

My thought for #2 is that what an observer sees depends on whether they are in the mundane realm, Astral realm, or dual-natured:
* Observers in the mundane realm, if they fail to get enough hits to see through the Invisibility, wouldn't see anything.
* Observers in the Astral realm, if they fail to get enough hits to bypass the Masking, would see a mundane walking around with no spells.
* Observers who are dual-natured, if they fail to get enough hits for seeing through either the Invisibility or the Masking, would not see anything via the mortal realm but would see a mundane via the Astral realm, giving them the hint that something is up.

Does that sound right?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-23-19/1512:24> »
You're probably right that "improved masking" being listed on pg 156 SG is probably just an error/typo that slipped thru when Extended Masking's name got finalized.

It's more complex than I first thought.  It all boils down to how/whether spell effects work across the physical/astral barrier.  Scrutinizing those rules is where your answer lies in how the interaction works in various scenarios. Targeting is clearly delineated: you can't cast invisibility on a physical target if you're projecting.  What's less clear is if a projecting observer is subject to the effect of an invisibility spell on a physical target. Or if it makes a difference if the target is dual natured.

The simplest scenario to determine tho is a physical target made invisible to a purely physical observer.  The spell works or it doesn't, and the metamagic is pointless since the observer can't see astral anyway.
« Last Edit: <01-23-19/1524:26> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <01-23-19/1516:21> »
I think you are correct. There is no "Improved masking" that i am aware of.

There is "Extended Masking" which allows you hide quickened, anchored and sustained spells on top of your aura and foci.
(Follows the Masking rules)

As to your thought experiment;

physical: you can't see auras on the physical, so this is mute :P spell only resistance... and if they don't beat the spell, they don't see nuttin!

Dual-natured: If they don't beat the spell, they don't see your physical form. HOWEVER, they still see your astral form! As to what your astral form looks like to them, that depends on if they beat your masking - but that doesn't really matter does it? Because they know something is up! (People don't just wander around invisible while mundane!)

Astral: The spell doesn't matter as they never see your physical form, so it comes down to your masking. IF your masking holds then you appear as you wish (mundane, weaker awakened, etc)  with a little BG smudging (your masked spells).... But he still "sees' you. (this is why stealth skills are important to a mage).
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-23-19/1529:38> »
Ah yeah, Reaver I think your synthesis is correct.

While spell effects might be tricky (or not) to wrangle across the planar boundry... invisibility spells' description does indeed call out that it only works on physical and visual senses, rendering it utterly moot to magical/astral sense.

So yeah no matter what, dual natured and astral observers will see your aura. The Extended Masking can potentially hide the fact you're using a spell though.  (which again is largely pointless vs the dual natured observer, since even a stupid person can rationalize that an aura without a body must mean magic is afoot)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-23-19/1622:41> »
Well, if you mask your aura to look like a spirit, then an aura without a physical body makes sense... You could possibly even mask yourself to look like a watcher or one of the security spirits.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-23-19/2253:29> »
One of the uses of Extended Masking and Improved Invisibility is to infiltrate places that either went on the cheap with their magical security, or have their mages remote so they don't get ganked on site.  Most spirits assigned to guard duty need specific instructions, and it is easier to have them ignore the mundane (that's what your metahuman guards are for) and focus on the astral.  That sort of security setup, even bolstered by astral projecting mages, won't protect against someone with Extended Masking and Improved Invisibility sneaking into the site if the person's die pool is high enough to prevent seeing through the masking.

There's still some mundane security to get through (ultrasound, etc), but there are counters for that (white noise generators and so on).

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <01-24-19/0107:22> »
actually masking allows you to make your aura look like anything, like magic foci or an insect or a blue whale.

mask your aura to look like something innocuous, fly, cockaroach, etc while using Ruth Polymer or Invisibility for the mundane viewers.