NEWS

Safe houses

• 91 Replies

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #75 on: <02-11-11/1112:35> »
......... I'll say it again.
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SAFE HOUSE IDEAS/CONCEPTS/CONTENT TOPIC RELATED TO SHARE?
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #76 on: <02-11-11/1114:36> »
If you work magic at your safehouse, always always always mute the magical signature before you leave.  So that if someone does crash it, they can't use that against you.  It might be too late if they are hitting your safe house, but it always pays to play it safe.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #77 on: <02-11-11/1207:25> »
Okay, I'm in a creative mood, so I'll try to come up with a few. They're obvious, but I hope my ideas would be of use to someone.

1. A shop. Obviously, this is a great cover, whether it would be a talismonger, or used electronics shop. Or even a pawn shop, or grocery. It would need some work, but still, having a legitimate, or semi-legitimate business cover would be great, especially if you register all the teammates as workers/owners. You can stash your gear in the basement, or attic, and have a living area, or just a bunk or two in the 'staff room'. Besides, if handled correctly it could be a steady and significant source of income, and you could easily use it for the 'Day Job' negative quality. It would be great if the whole team takes that one, and you'd have a full, reliable staff. Any other kinds of business should work too - even a medical clinic, cyberware parlor, machine shop. Anything you can fit in the frame above. And a few optional choices of safehouse qualities from Runner's Companion would be a nice addition. If you'd create it along with your characters, a few of them taking 'Day Job' would be enough to cover the bills (lifestyle cost for the entire team), and depending on how much time you'd have to spend (for example without any staff to hire), you could make it even a primary source of income. Or, on the other hand, that kind of a safehouse would be a great background for a high-end contact (with high Loyalty at least), like a fixer who uses the 'ordinary shop owner' act as a cover for his less ordinary business, and who's hiring your characters on both sides of his establishment.
Besides, that kind of facade would be a great opportunity to tune the safehouse security, but with care - nobody would take a grocery with killer drones and military-grade matrix security for normal.

2. A bar, or other kind of business like it - restaurant, hotel, etc. That's not exactly like the former, because it's a lot more public. But this can be turned to your advantage. If your characters are regulars, and they either work there, or know the owner/staff really good (like above, Day(or night) Job, or Contact(s), they can easily live there. On sythanol and krill wafers bar diet, or even having a 'on the house' policy on food, as long as they keep their end of the bargain (doing a good job, contact's loyalty). The owner doesn't even have to know what the characters dabble in. He can be a good friend, family member, or even an old acquaintance of theirs, who owes them enough to let use his business as a safehouse. The public nature of the place would be both good and bad. Good, because you could easily hide in the crowd, or meet the people you need. Bad, because there are always eyes and ears in the public. And because the owner would be in trouble if the characters are on the run.

3. A house. Seriously, the usual regular apartment, or penthouse would serve as a great safehouse. Especially if it's not used all the time. If your characters just buy and secure one, you can always put one of your friendly NPC's or even contacts in it, to serve as both caretaker, and cover. Or they might crash at one of their teammates family members, sensei, or lover. The security would be a problem, but it's nothing they couldn't fine-tune. Or, the place itself could be on corporate ground - for example, on S-K property, if they never, ever would run against the dragon. Or deep in gang territory, on a highly private housing area, or even tribal lands.

4. Squatting. Yeah, it's covered in the rulebooks already. But with enough money and time one could turn a half-ruined church, or an old power station into a private little heaven, with stolen (or half-legally acquired), or improvised water, electricity and matrix. The amount of places that can be used for this kind of a safehouse is huge. From severs, to old military outposts, every place can be turned into a comfy little fortress, and supplied with all you want for your alter egos. For example:
Your characters decide to take over an old fire station. They have a small, two-story building with a huge garage space and basement. Enough for the rigger's workshop and drones, magicians lodge, an armory for the samurai, and even training room for the adept, and a server room for the hacker. You just find a way to repair it, supply it with power, water and matrix coverage, and all the luxury and equipment you need, and then apply security. And bam! - you have a home sweet home.
It could even be a full-fledged campaign objective - turn the fire-house into a luxury-fortress. With runs to either get the money, or pay for stuff with favors.
Damn, I'd play in a game like this... :P
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Bladesworn

• Newb
« Reply #78 on: <02-13-11/2250:45> »
A cool idea some friends and I had a long while ago when Armageddon would come... goto school.  Abandoned school buildings (elementary, JHS, HS) had classrooms, gym facilities with showers, some had chem labs.  Not many kids goto school anymore post 2050.  So those buildings are either abandoned, or rarely used.  Little to no valuable there, so security would be lax.  Even if the building was still being used, during the Summer or at night... a decent place to hole up for a few hours (or days).

Another idea was dorms at universities.  Pay some college kid off to use his dorm suite as a hide for a few days.  He'd be off partying and runners could pretend to be college staff, students, etc... on the campus.

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #79 on: <02-14-11/1354:30> »
And hey, a firehouse even has a firepole.  Whee!

How about an RV?  There was one in Arsenal that I had my eye on, though it might have a problem with being offroad.  The Tara Hotspur might have room for a cot and chamberpot.

How about modifying a semi truck?  Rather reminiscent of Die Hard 4, but it's got plenty of room and I can see programming it to drive around like a drone truck (that doesn't go anywhere in particular).
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #80 on: <02-14-11/1451:09> »
That's all okay. Especially with a road trip campaign. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #81 on: <02-14-11/1505:38> »
I like the school idea
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #82 on: <02-15-11/0018:26> »
Just make sure your GM doesn't feel like taking the campaign into a horror-themed direction.

:)

-k

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #83 on: <02-15-11/1748:52> »
HAHAHAHA thats kinda where he wants to go
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #84 on: <02-15-11/1908:28> »
Come play with us, forever and ever and ever...
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <02-15-11/1937:04> »
At first i was like "who? me?" then i realized you were quoting a movie. But those ghosts' ass be grass. lol ;D
HACK THE PLANET

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Last Edit: <02-16-11/0831:04> by KarmaInferno »

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #87 on: <02-16-11/1504:51> »
Oh god or some dude picks up a girl and rips her skin off
HACK THE PLANET

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #88 on: <03-03-11/0419:53> »
To Teyl_Iliar:
What if the runner has no family? What benifit does a family serve to a criminal anyway if all they do is give your enemies ammo? Many a aspiring dictator have killed their families to resolve this issue. OOOOO would that be a great back story for a druggy character?! Kills family so they can better pursue a shadowrunning career!

Sure, if your into a campaign where the players are nutcase killers and psychopats.

Also keep in mind how this would be interpreted by people around the character, loyalty is going to be hard to win if its a known fact you offed your family like that.
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #89 on: <03-03-11/0424:09> »
Safehouse....could be a good idea for my players, they tend to live in their vans/trucks....too greedy to spend a nuyen on a good nights sleep

Hit them with fatigue, penalties to certain social rolls (wrinkled clothes, no hygiene that sort of stuff), possibly also some psychological effects of being crammed into a car for awhile with no real room to stretch.

Its fine for a few days, but not really a good option for staying low for a week or two.
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.