NEWS

Sprite Stats

• 4 Replies

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« on: <02-16-16/1816:10> »
Just curious how people handle this in their games as I don't think there are rules.

Do sprites use their level as their Mental Attributes, or do they use their modified Matrix ASDF attributes as their equivalent of their mental attributes?

Ex:

A Courier Sprite has Attack/Sleaze/Data Processing/Firewall of L/L +3/L+1/L+2.

A technomancer compiles a level three sprite, so it has ASDF of 3/6/4/5. These are definitely the limits to matrix actions. However, are these stats also used as mental attributes for performing actions/defending (ex. Attack 3 = Charisma 3, Sleaze of 6 = Intuition of 6, Data Processing 4 = Logic 4, and Firewall 5 = Willpower) or are does the sprite just use its level as at mental attributes (Ex. CHA/INT/LOG/WIL all would be 3)?

I have seen it played both ways. The adjusted stats seem to feel more aligned with Spirit rules, but Level as stats seems more aligned with Agent rules. 

Anyone have a strong rationale for either?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-16/1825:32> »
The books don't say one way or the other, but there is a possibility the fabled Technomancer sourcebook could shed some light on that. Or it may be as helpful as Data Trails was for shedding light on Matrix matters in general (read: not at all).

As you said, some GMs choose to reverse engineer the Living Persona stats and calculate Sprite scores. Others prefer to speed up gameplay and just use the Level. Until we officially hear otherwise, it's "up to the GM."
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

WillAsher

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-16/0428:31> »
Missions rules state use the Living Persona stats (FAQ v0.1).  As that is what I play, I use that.  Personally, I think it fits.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-16/1249:04> »
I should get around to intently reading missions rules. I'll check it out and perhaps go with that ruling then! Thanks!

Talgrath

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-19-17/0339:30> »
Missions rules state use the Living Persona stats (FAQ v0.1).  As that is what I play, I use that.  Personally, I think it fits.

THREAD NECROMANCY!  So one of my players started a technomancer and we immediately ran into a big question, what is a sprite's stat line?  So did we ever get an official ruling on this?
It's just a little kid, how dangerous could it be?  - PC's last words