NEWS

Anarchy rules question: Staggered vs. Knocked Out

• 5 Replies

imaginaari

• Newb
« on: <11-10-16/1422:13> »
Is there any difference between those two? I might have missed something but "Knocked Out" seems like unnecessary waste of space that is here only to provide stun track counterpart to "Killed in Action" while in fact have no specific rules, and additional stun damage taken have no effect after being Staggered making no difference at all.

Am I missing something? Maybe some cross-reference from SR5 could explain to me why "Knocked Out" is even a thing, and how exactly use it rules-wise? Because of course, there is some difference between conscious and unconscious character, but I feel like it could be left as a purely narrative decision.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-16/1825:23> »
My guess is that they're trying to define the exact point on the condition monitor that someone is actually knocked unconscious.

For example, if your stun monitor has ten boxes, are you knocked out when you hit 10S (condition monitor full) or when you hit 11S (condition monitor exceeded)?

The SR5 rulebook does not (to my knowledge) explicitly say. Anarchy distinguishes between the two by introducing the concept of "staggered" (10S) versus being KO'd (11S). It's an effort to provide clarity, which I appreciate.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-16/2041:58> »
Staggered isn't KO'd exactly.  You might be aware of your surroundings, might be able to sustain effects, spells or spirits, etc.

But mostly it was there to stop the same shenanigans that SR5 cause by not being explicit.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

imaginaari

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-11-16/0517:10> »
Oh, okay. So basically it's a "you may sustain some effects if GM agrees to" vs. "you definitely can't sustain any effects" distinction. Seem good enough to me.

And what about the modifiers? You get them only after having the whole row filled, and having the last row of boxes filled is equal to having all boxes filled, so the highest modifier seems to be never used. You have no way to do actions/narrations so you don't have any rolls where you could apply those modifiers.

Only exception seem to be Edge + Edge test for avoiding death. Am I right?

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-11-16/1251:24> »
Good question. I was thinking about that death roll earlier (Edge + Edge). I am not sure there should be modifiers to that.  Here is why:

Coydog with 2 Strength has 9 Physical damage boxes.  At capacity, a full Physical track would give her a -3. With an Edge of 1, she would get no dice.  That's bad but it gets worse.

Sledge with 8 Strength has 12 Physical damage boxes.  At capacity, a full Physical track would give him a -4. 

Even if they both had 2 Edge, the stronger, tougher character is more likely to die.

I don't think I will be enforcing wound  modifiers on death tests.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-11-16/1311:20> »
Good call, Gingivitis.

There's precedent from the non-Anarchy versions of SR where wound modifiers do not apply to damage-soaking tests. This situation seems to fall in that category, so I would use the same approach.