NEWS

Fighting Style Explaination

• 2 Replies

Jack

• Newb
« on: <11-18-12/2108:00> »
I was doing some research on the various fighting styles listed, both the standard named and the varieties in parenthesis. Under the Boxing style, "Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha"  is noted. Another term for that style is Bataireacht, otherwise known as Irish Stick Fighting. Bata is an Irish term for stick, though the commonly used stick was called a Shillelagh. As for the specific term used in Arsenal, "Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha" meant "whiskey stick dance" (originating from the Doyle family of Newfoundland, Canada).

Now I am uncertain if that was an actual mistake, but given the fact the above mentioned form uses Sticks or Shillelagh's in combat. Maybe it would be better fitted under a form that includes that type of weapon use. Either way knowing a little more about the style gives me better ideas on how to fit it into my character concepts.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <11-18-12/2233:45> »
If you want to use that style, I'd just swap it in for Kali/Escrima (taking maneuvers with Clubs instead of Blades), and call it a day.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <11-18-12/2335:23> »
If you want to use that style, I'd just swap it in for Kali/Escrima (taking maneuvers with Clubs instead of Blades), and call it a day.

Seconded.

The Arnis de Mano / Kali / Escrema stuff is basically the catch-all for stick fighting.

Really, I figure most people who are "serious" brawlers (as in, they do this for a living) cross-train enough that they wouldn't worry about what style a particular tweak or technique comes from... so don't worry too much about the actual separations of style). Just remember that you can only get +3 DV from MA Qualities, and everything else is fair game if you can find an instructor. ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me