NEWS

Can I ask for a guiding hand - Shaman using Life Modules

• 19 Replies

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #15 on: <01-28-16/1129:52> »
One thing to remember is that if you take magical education, you have to take a corporate module.  Not a huge sacrifice, since magical education is the only option to get magical skills at that point in life modules, and wage mage is a good bargain too.  If you take magical education, community college or state university, wage mage, and street shaman, you will have the sorcery and conjuring skill groups at 6.  It might be tempting to take a tour of duty to raise them both to 7, but in my opinion, your remaining karma to spend will already be low enough at that point, and you will need all of it to be a mage, buy magic rating and spells, raise attributes, etc.
These are all very good points.

Does anyone recall if there are any good magical Teen/Formative Years Life Modules in other splats? I know OP can't use them, but I swear there ought to be something to get some magical training somewhere that's not Magical Education. There are Wiz-Gangs, after all.

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <01-28-16/1536:00> »
My chaos mage went ucas-denver, fugitive, magical education, skip higher education, wage mage then street mage.  That gave me a +3 INT, +3 WILL, +1 REA, +1CHA, +1 LOG.  My Sorcery and Conjuring pools were both 5 (conjuring could have been 6, but I opted for a different choice during magical education). That cost me 305 karma.

I think going shaman might work quite well, depending on what you want you back story to be.  Go Tir (+1 CHA), Corp Drone (+1 LOG, +1 CHA), Magical Education (+1 WIL, +1 CHA, +1,Sorc, +1  Conjure), Community College (+1 LOG, +1WIL, +1 Sorc), Wage Mage (+1 LOG, +1 INT, Sorc +2, Conj +2), Street Shaman (+1 WIL, +3 Conj, +2 Sorc).  That brings your WIL to +3 and your CHA to +3, Sorcery group is 6 and conjuring group is 6.  Total Karma 360. From there you can add either Postgraduate studies which increases Cha another 1, and 10 points to whatever magical skills you want to get them to level 7, and get more LOG and INT, or you could go with tour of duty (TIR) which would raise conjure and sorcery skill groups both to 7, and increase your AGI, STR and LOG all by +1. Either way total Karma is 460 (and worth it, but still expensive)

As was said previously, the rules state that you can only take each life module once, but does not specify if each of the street magic options are considered individual life modules or not (I am inclined to say they do count individually).  In that case I would skip community college and not get post graduate studies, and skip tour of duty, instead opting for another street magic, probably occult investigator as the would make your Sorcery and Conjuring 7(you would actually be losing one point in sorcery, due to cap being 7.  You could choose enchanting and conjuring at the magical education phase, though, and have a +2 on enchant group)  .  All of your magical skills would be pretty dang high, but overall your LOG would drop one point. Karma cost would only be 305.

Pinicles

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <02-14-16/0903:25> »
My small contribution

-- Life Modules --485
Nationality - CAS (General)
Formative Years - ORPHAN
Teen Years - MAGICAL EDUCATION
Further Education - IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITY (Magic)
Real Life - POSTGRADUATE STUDIES : Skills  +3 Spellcasting , +3  Summoning , +3 Counterspelling , +1 Binding     
Real Life - CORPORATE (Wage Slave)
Real Life - STREET MAGIC (Street Shaman)

You will end up with: For a Elf

Body 1
Agility 2
Reaction 1
Strength 1
Willpower 6
Logic 3
Intuition 3
Charisma 8
Edge 1
Magic 1
Essence 6

And 

Conjuring 4:   Summoning 7,  Binding 5

Sorcery 4 : Spellcasting 7, Counterspelling 7

Your two  drain stats at max and three of your area of work at max.

:)

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <02-14-16/1445:09> »
RAW Street Magic is one Life Module- you get to pick one..
For a few karma more-Ivy League over Community College, gets you another +1 CHA

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <02-19-16/0940:20> »
As such I have to use the Life Modules.

So, here's my big top ones:

Take Magical Education to Conjuring +1, Sorcery +1
Take Community College: Magic for Sorcery +1
Take Tour of Duty: Mercenary: Mage Corps for Conjuring +1, Sorcery +1
Take Street Magic: Eco Shaman for Conjuring +2, Sorcery +2
Take Street Magic: Street Shaman for Conjuring +3, Sorcery +2

That will give you 7s across the board in your main area and a ton of random skills. Spend 15 karma to get rid of the Limited Corp SIN. If your GM won't let you take Street Magic twice, replace Eco-Shaman with Corporate: Wage Mage.

Can't  simply take Tour of Duty: merc

This module can only be taken after completing one of the other Tours of Duty or the Company Man
or Shadow Work modules.

And as noted, can't take street magic module twice.
« Last Edit: <02-19-16/0947:48> by Thanael »