NEWS

Looking to start a PbP group - willing to GM

• 12 Replies

Omnibobatron

• Newb
« on: <05-27-14/2057:58> »
Greetings chummers,
It's been a while since I've had a chance to get into Shadowrun again. I played a lot of 4e, but took my leave a few months before 5e came out. Recently I've got a chance to play some 5e, and so far I have no preference. I'm looking to start up a play-by-post game of either 4e or 5e, and am willing to GM. HOWEVER, as I am new to 5e, and it has been a long time since I've played 4e, I am VERY rusty on the rules, and require some patience. I'm hoping to get at least one experienced player in this group, so as to assist with the rules while I get back into my groove.

As for the game, I was planning something on the cold streets of Winnipeg, as that is my hometown. I vaguely remember Winnipeg being mentioned in 4e, but as I can't place it I will most likely make up the setting. For those unfamiliar, Winnipeg is on the northern border of the UCAS, next to the Algonkian-Manitou Council, whose civil unrest from the 2060s is still being felt in Winnipeg, as Manitou people flee the AMC due to prejudice. Aztechnology presence is heavy in Winnipeg, as is Ares. These are the two major players, but since Winnipeg is a border city, almost all of the Big Ten have a stake in it. Other than corporations, you can bet the Hell's Angels are still alive and thriving, but they are no longer the end-all be-all as other biker gangs have formed and are vieing for control of the streets.

This will be my first PbP, and so it might take a bit to get off the ground, and I hope you'll bear with me. I can post fairly frequently, usually every day. If youre interested leave a reply with a character concept and what you'll bring to the game. Rules lawyers are welcome, but I have the final say, even if I'm wrong. This is to keep the game moving. I will not abuse this to harm characters or hurt feelings. If anything, it will be in your favour. Lastly, I welcome new players, as I am not very experienced myself, but please know the rules that pertain to you. If you use magic, please know the magic rules, same for technos and deckers. This will keep the game going smooth, and reduce the stress on me. I have inherited all the 4e books (or most) so looking things up isnt a problem for me. If you want to know something, just ask.

So let me know, do you guys want 4e or 5e? It's up to you guys.
Omni out

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-27-14/2321:33> »
Well, concepts. These are very barebones concepts, as it takes a while more for full on concepts.

4e
Faceless man - a master assassin spy. Is always shifting his form to accomplish his mission and the like. Overall, he's got little personality of his own, as it shifts from time to time, depending on his costume. When more exposed though, he speaks more in riddles, which gives him a bit of a bad rep on that.

The Author - A new take on a character I'm playing somewher else. Basically is a Technomancer who writes books or something else. Very famous actually. Uses Drones to assist runners and kinda watches the runers backs through the net.

Clubber - Either a rigger or dronomancer - If a Rigger, has readapted his body a few times to get things like raptor legs and other cybernetic accessories to be fairly animalistic. Enjoys being in the club.If a dronomancer, is a changeling. both of them use a walker drone with mimic or biodrones.

Mage with a sword - Mystic adept, uses a vibro sword. Uses Fling and magic fingers and such.

Ex-cop - A unicorn changeling with a bit of a nasty streak in him. Used to work for Silver Star till leaving the force fed up with various corruptions in the office. Runs a private detective firm now, real noir.

5e

Texas - Heavy armor, chainsaw, troll. This guy is bad news Either mystic adept or street samuria. Probally will have some other heavy weapons later on.

Dust - Chain saw, lever action shotgun robotic hand, simple armor, possibly mystic adept. - bit of a wise cracker, and sexists. Pretty high ego. prefers to fight instead of talking. Had some trouble in a cabin by a lake with some toxic spirits.

Overwatcher - A Technomancer who prefers to keep out of flesh based contact as much as possible. Uses a lot of text messages and such to lead their team to success.

The hitman, - specializes currently in hand to hand combat, but is working their way into different firearms and the like. an adept.

Mage with a sword - Also again mystic adept with the same concept on things.

Ted - Another assassin character - This guy is intended to be something of a normal guy. The guy who's everywhere and no where. basically, always just plain. Doesn't act like a killer at all.

Deputy - revolver and sport rifle with a scope. The name should say most of what this guy is. Cowboy through and through. Drives a mortorcycle instead of a horse.

Grim - Scythe wielding adept assassin. This guy picks up bounties and runs a legal bounty hunter job, though he only takes bounties that want the target dead. Often uses poisons and gas grenades to give himself a much more supernatural look. Slightly preachy for his religion.

Fritz - Demolitions expert. Possibly a mage, might be an aspected mage dealing with alchemy. Fritz is a bit of a coward in direct combat, preferring to stick to setting up traps. In direct combat, he will generally flee, and has a bit of a rep for that.

King - Claymore wielding cold weather guy. Overall, a no-nonsense individual, who had a code of honor he follows, even though one day it will probably get him killed.

There is more to come. Like I said though, these right now are very rough barebones ideas I've bounced around a bit. I can easily begin expanding them more and more.
« Last Edit: <05-28-14/0113:59> by Triskavanski »
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #3 on: <05-28-14/0052:13> »
I'd rather do 5th, as it's what im more familiar with and would like to get moreso. I know the spirit rules and the assenssing rules pretty well,  as well as the non-rigger drone use stuff.

I've made a guy who's really nervous in a fight and is kinda new to the shadows. He's an aspected hermetic spirit summoner and he's pretty good at it, but he's never really put in the work to be REALLY good at it. He knows a lot of people and tries to get through life by his words. He's a human, which i don't usually play, and his skills are really spread out. Has a tiny bit of cyber, despite being a summoner, just cause he wants to be part of the modern world. By himself, he's not terribly powerful in a fight, but he's got a well armed rotodrone and spirits to watch his back if everything his the fan. Even though he's smart and perceptive, he's still kindof a noob, but i just LOVE this guy.

I can write out more of the fleshy bits if you're interested.

I'd love to play in your game if you've got room for me.
« Last Edit: <05-28-14/0059:18> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #4 on: <05-28-14/0244:12> »
Hoi, Omnibobatron!

I definitely like your attitude =)

I'm heavily inclined towards 5e. Not sure if I would play 4e at all. I have experience in it, but 5e is my love at first sight.

As for concepts:

1) Error, ork - heavily cybered russian WWF fighter, who got kicked out for refusing to lose in a rigged match. His name is actually Egor, but his heavy accent makes it sound like Error. On the streets he became a Street Sam who tries to stay true to the concept of an honorable and fair fighter.
I don't know Winnipeg, but let's assume Error got kicked out after the match in Winnipeg, so that's where his career starts.

2) Track2, dwarf - a somewhat petulant local decker, who aims for the stars and wants to become a famous DJ, so shadowrunning "is just a temporary thing" and a source of inspiration for him.

3) Ahanu, human - an Algonquin Amerind, whose family got kicked out of their land by the Manitou. So now he feeds his family by shadowrunning, which also allows him to strike against the cursed Manitou from time to time. Either a shaman, or a physical adept (bow adept), depending on what the group needs.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

martinchaen

« Reply #5 on: <05-28-14/0749:08> »
I'd be interested in SR5 as well, and I've got a pretty good grasp on the rules so I would consider myself an experienced player. I can also commit to posting at least once a day. Check the Splintered State PbP and the Neverland PbP (note that I left this one for personal reasons) for examples of my posting style.

As far as I'm aware, there's very little (if any) official/canon info on Winnipeg itself, but plenty of information can be found on the Algonkian-Manitou Council area and the bordering UCAS areas, so you'll probably do just fine making the setting up for yourself.

I also very much respect you having final say; I don't mind enjoy good rules debates, but I prefer a GM who can say enough is enough and make a decision.

I have two characters I wouldn't mind playing, both of whom are made so as to have the ability to be inserted nearly anywhere with minimal modification.

Question: would you allow rules from "Run & Gun", "Sail Away, Sweet Sister", and/or "Stolen Souls"? Some of the the equipment from the first and spells from the latter at least would be included on one character concept if yes.

Character one; Seijin, a Japanese blademaster (Elf adept, focusing on honorable (yes, really) melee combat with a bit of sneaking; very much a street samurai with some ethical concerns. Earned his bad rep quality the hard way)
Note: this character uses some items from Run & Gun, and if you allow it, would likely swap one rank of Improved Reflexes (1PP) for the Nerve Strike power from Stolen Souls (1PP).

Character two; Loki, a Tir Tairngire manipulation mage (Elf magician, Mischief/Raven mentor spirit, focusing on mental manipulation spells and very much a social infiltrator/conman; grew up on the streets of Cara'Sir (Portland), and got in trouble with the local Vory syndicate after playing one too many "pranks" on them, in true trickster spirit)

(( Character three, whom I'm already playing in another game on here; Moto, a Japanese drone rigger and wheelman (Dwarf rigger with some pretty nifty vehicle and engineering skills, but absolutely zero meat skills; pretty much useless in the physical world if not interacting with it through his drones or vehicle) ))
« Last Edit: <05-28-14/1030:13> by martinchaen »

Omnibobatron

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-28-14/0828:11> »
I'm glad and surprised to see such a response! Being new to PbP I want to keep the group relatively small to avoid overcomplicating things. Later today when I have more time I will review the posts and pick 3 or 4 of you, and message you. This will be based on both the characters you offer and your apparent attitude. I will also use this post as a waiting list, if spots become available. Feel free to reply again or edit your old reply if you feel like you want to change something. See you guys soon!

Much love,
Omni

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-28-14/1824:13> »
Well generally what i do is come up with the more mechanics of my character and such. I find it harder to design a characters back story in a vacum, overall finding it easier for me to build them and play them once i have other people around me.

It kinda helps to avoid the awkwardness too. Such aa my piratw capitain who was suppose to be a lot more agreession but so far has been more lais back and utterly annoyed with his companions, specifically two of them.

Some of the barebones concepts up there have personas already attached to them.

Here is another one.

Mother Medic- a noncombatant, healing focused occultist. While she avoids combat most of the time, she isnt exactly a pacufist about it. Rather, she tends to be slightly into deception and trickery, using both chemical, psycology,and mechanics and mystic to confyse her enimies.

Forgive the spelling mistakes in this post. As i am ppsyong from my phone
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-29-14/2012:44> »
Here I am, sitting in my parents basement in Winnipeg as I see the "Winterpeg" OOC post. I'm from the city, though I currently live in BC.

I think I'd like to play, if there's space. I'm familiar with 5e, so that's my preference. I would be learning if you went with 4e, but I own the core book.

In 5e, I'd like to play around with the decking rules. I'm thinking human or orc decker, possibly Manitou refugee, or maybe ex-Ares.

If we went with 4e, I don't really want to touch the matrix rules. Instead maybe a Manitou shaman? Maybe a rigger, instead. Not really sure for this one.
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Omnibobatron

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-29-14/2031:53> »
Sadly, we are currently full, but with the response I got from this I will most likely be doing this again in the future. Until that time, I will gladly put you on the waiting list in case a spot opens up  :)

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <05-29-14/2122:33> »
I would personally probably be more interested in 5ed.

Now... what could i bring to the game.. commitment, team-play, a moderate attitude. i think that would sum it up, by now ai am familiar with the rules so i would not be a burden on that aspect. i am also running 2 characters and GMing a game (James in "neverland", Kitty in "Lockdown!" and running splintered state atm). Both of them are deckers, akagitsune was running in a game, but that one went the way of the Dodo... i really liked the character... that said off to provide you with concepts :)

Concept 1 (ok... its more of a backstory than a concept)

Officially I don't exist, i was born a gutter punk kid from Montreal, raised by the Mafia, they used to call me "shooting star" at first it was a joke about the way i shot, then it was not a joke anymore, the light flash was the last think you would see if i ever got a contract on you, not any more though, things change, and when you refuse a hit you are the one on the hit list just after the target, but you know, its hard to give a shooting star cement shoes, some things are too quick in the sky for you to grasp, i am one of them.

I started doing small delivery jobs for the crews that populated my neighbourhood, i was fast as a bolt, i even almost made into a crew once, it was short lived, the capo got greedy and a hit was commissioned on the whole crew, Sante "legs" got wacked, Dumont went to ground but they eventually found him, Jimmy was a good friend then, my mentor, he was the first to buy the farm, me? i was just an elf kid that knew how to shoot straight and was doing minor dealing for the older members, eventually they forgot about me, my name died there, i was just 14.

I ended falling in the good graces years later, no one remembered me, i was 25, had been scrapping a living as hit man, working for the highest bider, eventually my name caught the attention of the family again, by then i was no longer just a street gutter punk kid learning my trade, some juice was already there, i was quicker, bolder and deadlier, its easy work to scare or wack people not wanting or bending into the construction permits that the mob requires, and no one builds without their authorization, not even the mayor, unless he wants bad things happening in his city.

Now you are wondering why i am telling you this, you are a mark, see? you have a contract on you, these are your last few minutes alive, and perhaps maybe i just want to talk, perhaps i want your forgiveness, i don't want you to think i am a bad man, i don't do this for pleasure, i have been around long enough to know that bad things happen to good people. Yes i look young, not older than 25 you would say if the gag ball wasn't there, that's one of the advantages of mommy and daddy having been elf's.

No i don't do it for pleasure, so tell me, if you had a skill and you where on my shoes what would you do?
The terror stricken look on the man's face said it all eventually, a mix of horror, despise and hate. Yeah... i see,  you would do the same, perhaps you would try to get out, perhaps i did try to, perhaps that's what brought me here, i tried to save a few, i tried to love more than a few, i tried... but then karma comes knocking back at your door, i even fooled them a couple of times, good people deserve a second chance. You?
a gentle smile flickers on Dawon's face Organleggers don't count as good people do they? no matter how much money they give to charity and how many social events they go to, you... I would probably do for free, but a man has to pay the bills.

The gun poised in the man's head, just waiting for a commlink signal Dawon continued Do i regret some of it?... Yes i do... would i have saved more if i could? yes i would, but that's a regret that will haunt me in my nightmares and that i will carry to my grave.
A sudden knock on the door cut Dawon's monologue abruptly.

Sir? are you all right? Sir? sounded a muffled voice from teh other side of the door.

Fate has chosen the time for your demise he continued shortly, the French accent evident in the near perfect English. it sounded just like the sound of one spitting seeds out of the mouth, the bullets found their way into the man's brain.

as the sound of the first shoulder slammed into the door, Dawon paused for a second, sighed, holstered the guns in their wrist compartments and stepped towards the window. speaking into the his sub vocal microphone he issue a series of almost imperceptible speech to text command into his commlink.

>>Message "Blight"
  >>>Mark is down
>>Stop video footage
>>Erase last hour video footage

With another sigh he looked over the window sill, the path to the alley 10 meters below clear, taking a small jump into the a nearby fire escape Dawon exited the building as the door to the apartment came crashing down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept 2 (again...backstory...)

Name: “Akagitsune” or “Aka”

Background: the story of “Akagitsune” (or what she disclosed) is pretty much straightforward; she is a newcomer to Seattle, she has no close ties to the community nor is affiliated with any power in the metroplex area, although her accent does not differ much (or anything) from those in the vicinity. It was rumored that she is a corporate fugitive and she has neither acknowledged nor denied that information. She holds a strictly business posture and has a calculating demeanor and she uses her fists as her preferred weapon, “silence is golden” she has quoted occasionally, she is also an accomplished archer.

Physical description: 5’5” height and well-toned muscles, she moves with grace, not overly muscular but rather fit, she is known to pack a punch.  She is of apparent European-Japanese birth, which with her red hair and brown eyes, makes somewhat of a contrast, although not a dazzling beauty it his intriguing nonetheless, she wears it long with the right side shaved, and its usually tied in a ponytail and showing a slim blue colored braid right where the buzz cut starts.
----------------------------------------------------------

Clara´s situation is Shiawase was promising, both her parents where sarariman. Her schooling and training (as well as her awakened status) marked her as a potential security operative, and that was what she was being groomed for. Being an Hafu is not easy in Shiawase, but it certainly is easier than being gaijin, maybe that was why Clara´s mother  was always so status conscious and also why she always pushed her so hard, demanding the double, or more, than Clara´s instructors.

It all changed when she had to extract her longtime friend, Samuel Robbin, her only friend worth that name in fact. Had he not gotten in more than he and his runners friends (yes, he was double-dealing, acting as an inside person in Shiawase, making some NuYens on the side as it was) could handle and Clara would not have to put her head on the shopping block, the blade did not fall, Samuel got scot-free and the company was none the wise, but yet Clara took the blame for the presumed failed intrusion on the corporate physical security system. Her security clearance got downgraded to near drek and her mother was barely able to contain her hanger (although she held her composure least loose more face). Something odd came of that event though, Samuel stumbled upon a piece of information that he passed along to Clara, her father had not died, he had eloped the corporation and the archive “true” information was classified ever since. Clara did try to go thru the proper channel asking questions in a discreet manner, the result? Her mother hanger a flight booking to Osaka, apparently an assignment in the HQ, truth is, that’s what they call when they want to sideline you and keep a close eye on you. Thus only one venue was open for Clara, escape and try to figure out what happened the hard way, even if she had to resort to shadowrunning to do it. Escaping Shiawase for another corporation was not a practical solution, although it could be more feasible it would be exchanging one golden prison for another, better to work outside the grid and get it done with.

Gathering what she could afford to carry on her back and harassing Samuel to get her the clearances for some equipment (after all, she had taken the fall because of him) she was able to escape to greater Seattle hoping to get away from her mother and Shiawase tight grip. Samuel was also able to get her in touch with a fixer (insert name here, possible connection to other members of the team) so she could get up and running, she did owe him though, but  giri was a concept that both she and Samuel understood only too well.

----------------------------------------------------------

It stung, if anything it stung deeply, her face flushed with the pain, not the physical pain but the one inflicted by shame.

<That will be the last time you address that matter, to me or anyone in the company> Clara mother snapped after hitting Clara´s cheek. <But mother…> Clara interjected, <But nothing! You will not compromise my position, or your position for that matter, in the company, this is the last warning I give you, you will abide by my decision and this will be the last I ear of that, do I make myself clear?> Sandra snapped again nipping Clara´s sentence even before it started.

Bowing deeply but fuming with anger Clara just did not see the point of going on <yes mother, I am sorry for bring it up>, <good, please return to you quarters, I may need your presence later on>  Sandra said in a more peaceful tone, taking one step closer but holding back at the thought, Sandra just waited for Clara to withdraw to her room, nurturing had never been one of her strong points, the exact opposite of Hitoshi Hanzõ, Clara´s father who she had thought dead for nearly 6 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping gingerly into the garage Carla virtually flicked the light switch, to her surprise a bleary eyed kid rubbed his eyes while getting up from where he was sit down, a yellow Ducati replica.

“Hey kiddo-kun, are you not supposed to be in bed?!?” Said Clara while double checking the time in her AR display, and it was correct, 2:27 AM, the not correct part was her brother sleeping in the garage.
Putting a hand in from of his mouth and yawning silently before speaking, Hiro blurted < Mom does not like when you call me that> he frowned while still stretching.

Hiro was 11 years old, the face resemblance was evident, but that was only natural for they were brothers, the major difference was the air which was brown in Hiro’s case while Clara took after her mother and her hair was fiery red. – Mom will have more than that to be peeved at, what are you doing here? Clara asked her younger brother, clearly chiding him for disturbing her escape.

<Mom knows... you know… are you coming back big sis?> at the sound of that Clara dropped to one knee and grabbed Hiro by his small shoulders, holding him at harms length and looking into his big brown eyes she asked “how do you know that? How does she know?”

Hiro just shrugged <I don’t know big sis, I just know mom knows and I just know…> Clara held him in a close hug and whispered softly “I know kiddo-kun, you still don´t get how you know stuff that you are not supposed to know,  and I have stopped trying to understand, you just know. But I need you to do me a favour… keep an eye on “kamisori” for me will you? I will come back for her one day”

Hiro turned his head to look at the bike, sleek, yellow and while it was nowhere as fast as more current designs she had an agile air that screamed manoeuvrability. “It was Dad’s bike, you where still a little kid when he… you don’t remember… but it became my bike after that, I I am keeping it safe for Dad, wherever he is, I just need you to keep her safe till I get back, ok kiddo?” it was hard keeping back a tear that kept wanting to fall out of her left eye, Hiro was probably the person she would miss most.

<Big sis, are you crying?> Hiro frowned “no kiddo, I am not, just hold on tight, and do me another favor will you? You kow how I really hate when I speak in English and you keep sticking with Japanese”   Clara said while getting up and grinning mischievously to Hiro.

“eheh I know big sis!” Hiro said with a wider grin. Clara winked at him and graciously stepped around the green Bentley concordat, behind her Hiro looked while his sister crouched by the small door that led to the yard, next to it the big garage door stood closed, his sister opened the smaller door, looked for a few seconds, glanced back one more time and vanished into the night. Hiro was left alone with just “kamisore”, for that was what her sister called the yellow Ducati replica, the big green sedan and shelves filled with unused bric-a-brac that his sister and his mother kept throwing in the garage for the maids to eventually clean out.

<And you little boy should be in bed!> the words where razor cold and Hiro gave a scared jump just to see his mother hovering near one of the dark corners of the garage, no, not his mother, her astral projection, almost like a ghost, his hearth thumped wildly in his chest and from his aura Carmen could see she had scared him, speaking in a softer tone she said <I am sorry son, I did not mean to startle you, but you should not meddle in the affairs of grown-ups, time for you to be in bed> controlling himself Hiro just bowed and said tonelessly <I am sorry mother, I did not mean to…> bowing again and deeper Hiro just headed inside the house, his hearth still thumping.

---------------------------------------------------------------

- <Rikugun Taii-sama, we have lost contact with the patrol on sector 12-A, biometrics show they are only incapacitated, should we deploy for interception?> asked the young officer in the MFID uniform.

- “mou iya desu…” said Kato, the Rikugun Taii in charge, after taking a small breath. <we stick with the plan advised by Hanzõ-sama, let the girl go but keep a close surveillance schedule… discreet, Hiroshi-san, assume command, and do not disturb unless it is strickly necessery> Kato quickly gave the orders, He still did not like any of this, but orders had come from high above and as things where proceeding as planned it did not matter, at least his hide was safe,

<most likely just another filthy rat jumping overboard and that gaijin woman is just trying to protect her cub… pff weak gaijin… wonder why we tolerate her> Kato mumbled under his breath while he strode to his quarters where his bed waited for his long due sleep.
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <05-29-14/2153:59> »
Sadly, we are currently full, but with the response I got from this I will most likely be doing this again in the future. Until that time, I will gladly put you on the waiting list in case a spot opens up  :)

Damn. I was hoping to get a chance to adventure around the 'Peg. Too late, I guess.
« Last Edit: <05-30-14/1536:49> by ve4grm »

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <05-30-14/1536:57> »

Damn. I was hoping to get a chance to adventure around the 'Peg. Too late, I guess.

Or maybe not, seeing your OOC thread. Perhaps I should start working up a concept.

Human decker, ex-Ares (corp SINner). Some cyberware enhancements, leftover from his old line of work. Dropped by Ares when a run managed to penetrate a host under his watch. Has a moderate grudge against the corp, to the point he won't even use Ares gear anymore.

Once he experienced the freedom the shadows offered, he never looked back. He's taken pains to hide his past as an ex-corp-spider, but his methods are very structured and corporate, so it shows through sometimes.