NEWS

new game, checking for interest

• 150 Replies

Ennui

• Omae
« on: <08-26-16/1140:57> »
Stuttr is thinking of running a game in the vein of the tangled currents.  He prefers a more street level game to start  then ramps it up as resources and karma accrue.  Anyone interested?
Speech  Matrix  Sub-vocal  Thoughts

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
― Lewis Carroll

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-26-16/1159:36> »
I may yes.
Street level has some problems (for example, you're better of being a TM than a decker, forget being a rigger, etc.) but it's not too bad.
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

Zen Gypsy

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-26-16/1205:09> »
I may be up for something like that, though entirely unsure on what role to play.  I typical gravitate to the soldier, mercenary, street samurai archetype, whether augmented or adept.  I may try something more tech-based or magic-based but I would need to read the rules on those and familiarize myself some.

Are we thinking some starting connections between characters, members of the same gang, bad shit happens, and we head into the shadows together?  Or are you thinking more street level operators, who end up coming together after running through their own separate threads?

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-26-16/1225:05> »
My first choice would probably be some kind of mage (for which I know the rules reasonably well ^^).

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-26-16/1358:15> »
Sorry this is a little premature.   I'm not really at all close to being ready to do this.  Ennui has a bad habit of jumping the gun.  I was thinking street level but playing around with the resources a bit since that seems to be the biggest issue.  I may end up allowing RAW but severely restricting gear ratings without prior approval as well as setting limits to maximum starting stats and skills.  I will have to make some tweaks

You would be independent operators or gang members if you want but with a limited pool of contacts.  You would each have a separate thread  which would come together eventually similar to the tangled currents play style.  I am not totally familiar with the rules so will probably play fast and loose which is one of the reasons I'm trying to keep it low level  until I get the hang of it more.  If you want to come up with some character concepts  and that sort of thing feel free but I don't think I will be officially starting this for at least a few weeks.

I will want backstories, individual goals and fears.  Strengths and weaknesses, not cardboard cutouts or munchkins.  My games also tend to be on the higher end of the darker edgier scale, expect moral quandries and deep dark secrets.
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-26-16/1445:35> »
No worries ^_^ You'll just have to punish her appropriately of course :P

The problem for street level (or prime runner in fact), is that the most important impact is on resources: in one case you take a big hit, on the other case, you have a lot. For archetypes that don't rely on nuyens, there isn't a big impact, but for augmented, deckers or riggers, it's a big change. I don't know any house rules that change that (not that it doesn't exist, just that I never had to look into it ^^)

Anyway, deep dark secrets are cool :)

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-27-16/0933:43> »
I've run a game that started street and still isn't quite on level with standard gen. as far as power goes. And I heard quite a bit of the howling that street doesn't allow hackers & riggers and really penalizes you for everything but mages. But, the story I wanted to tell was street and I did not change the chara gen rules one bit and just waited. After the howlers left I ended up with a gun girl, a rigger, a two mages and a couple of tanks, and the absolute best RP'ers on the boards, guys who wanted to play the game not the rules. (And yes, there was even a hacker for one of the chapters, but she had to leave when she got a new job.) Street does require an understanding on the GM's part that some of the resources they need have to come through the storyline. But, only you know the story you want to tell Stuttrboy, so tweak the gen. if you need them to have a bit more because you're starting the story a bit after they've advanced and not any other reason. And depending on the story you want to tell, (I need a bit of backstory on the story before I throw my hat in the ring), I'd be interested in a slot.
« Last Edit: <08-27-16/0944:48> by ismilealot »
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Blueclaws

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-30-16/0114:46> »
I would  be interested, leaning towards shaman/face character.

Scawire

• Ace Runner
  • FightFightFight the endless Ninja Battle
« Reply #8 on: <09-11-16/1734:35> »
I've just made it back to the board since being away for a long time. I'm excited to see that there is a chance to join a great shadowrun adventure. I'd like to throw my hat in the mix to play a Adept maybe hobby hacker.

I'd love to know what are the character gen rules when you get around to it. This should be a fun time.

Thanks for creating a game for us to run in.

Words,Thoughts,Matrix,Astral

Magic uses higher laws to over come lower laws.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #9 on: <09-11-16/1801:04> »
Im in if your interested. I would love to play my Gunslinger Adept. I have a real attachment to that OC. Though I cant wait to hit people with other people with Passive in Chaos.
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-12-16/1418:04> »
Absolutely interested.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-14-16/1831:21> »
This still happening?
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-14-16/1931:27> »
Yes I hope to have something up this weekend or next. 

Guidelines for characters will be sum 10 but resources cost +1 including level 0 resources and level 4 resources (which would be 5 under this rule) is not available.  No starting attributes can have more than +4 unless the appropriate quality is taken no skill can be higher than 5 without the appropriate quality no device ratings higher than 4 no availability higher than 8, without the appropriate quality.  15 Karma instead of 25 and no more than 15 points in positive and negative qualities.  All characters must start with a code of honor either one in the book or approved for no additional karma.  I reserve the right to veto certain things that I feel will impact game balance.  All characters must start with a connection rating 3 fixer I am calling Gunderson for now.  Characters will be based out of the barrens in a "neutral" territory with a number of factions all striving for increased power there. 

Characters will start out individual and will be occaisionally paired for others as needed by the fixer until you become a team and the story line becomes full blown.

Please post characters here in spoilers, but I would like to keep track of them here https://darkerandedgier.obsidianportal.com/dashboard
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-14-16/2018:39> »
Dark and Edgy? Like... Sasuke Dark and Edgy or... Your gonna fucking die and amatuer players to Shadowrun should not apply Dark and Edgy?
Thoughts
Mentor

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-14-16/2030:08> »
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkerAndEdgier

It'll be smurfing awesome!

No the tone is darker and edgier.  I don't kill people on purpose I want people to have fun but, but sometimes you have to decide if you'd rather go out in a blaze of glory or accept the consequences of your actions.
« Last Edit: <09-14-16/2034:34> by Stuttrboy »