NEWS

2019: 30th Anniversary Edition, or 6th Edition?

• 119 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #105 on: <09-22-18/1228:07> »
For the original topic. I think it needs a new edition. There are tons of bad rules, math and the supplements, many took bad turns. But, I’m not confident they wouldn’t just make the same mistakes all over again.

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #106 on: <09-25-18/1554:38> »
Did Kill Code not improve things on the Matrix front?  I was hoping at least some of the more overarching issues with it would have been fixed....
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #107 on: <09-25-18/1557:30> »
Did Kill Code not improve things on the Matrix front?  I was hoping at least some of the more overarching issues with it would have been fixed....

Some, yes.

others it made as clear as mud.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #108 on: <09-25-18/1651:05> »

Jury is out, probubly but there are to many questions to be sure.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #109 on: <09-25-18/1813:26> »
I was hoping at least some of the more overarching issues with it would have been fixed....

Kill Code didn't really fix anything with the 5E Matrix.

If you had an issue with the way it worked, or any lack of clarity, before Kill Code was published...  It almost certainly exists after Kill Code.

There were some clarifications, such as Agents can no longer run by their lonesome anymore.

The new Matrix Actions are really a double edged sword.  Sure, MARK-less actions are great for PC hackers.  But they just as easily hurt PC hackers because without a MARK, there is no way to know it is being used against you / your team.
Just in case there were still groups out there running with PC team PANs, the Tag action punishes them - again without any MARKs to let the team know it is even happening.

The gear is a mixed bag.  All of a sudden you can end up running up to 7 cyberprograms on commlinks now...  Not to mention an additional 7 programs on cyberdecks.  Maybe more, if your GM allows the two pieces of gear to stack with themselves.  Program slots are nearly useless now.

I could go further into it, but won't here.

In short there is plenty of good in the book.  If your table will only use the whole thing without cherry picking at all, it is even more true that PCs need to either run Wireless Off all the time, or rely on a truly benevolent GM that plays everyone else as Matrix - Ignorant.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #110 on: <09-25-18/2113:26> »
All in all, my impression of Kill Code was that someone took duct tape, and tried to patch a hole in the Hoover Dam you could drive a Buick through. It is better than nothing, but it did nothing to address the structural changes desperately needed. And instead of just retconning the piece of idiocy that said TMs couldn't be part of a PAN, they instead made it a quality you have to pay for. The other TM 'fixes' are along the same lines.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #111 on: <09-26-18/0851:17> »
Personally, I read parts of Kill Code as strongly hinting at a matrix shake-up coming down the line.  Which would probably require either a 5.5 or 6th edition to implement.  They may stretch the storyline of the increasing Nul threat out for a couple more years, perhaps making it big enough to lead to major world disruptions (hey, can't let things get too good out there!).  But it sure seemed to telegraph an upcoming change.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #112 on: <09-26-18/0854:22> »
Looking at the 'lifespan' of previous editions, I'd say 2019 is a good age for 5E to be sent to the glue factory, and hope 6E fixes the major structural problems.

My Characters

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #113 on: <09-26-18/0910:09> »
I suspect we'll see 6E in 2023. Gives them time to get some more stuff out the door, errata in, playtesting and plot foreshadowing. And finish SRM seasons 9 to 12.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #114 on: <09-27-18/2037:32> »
I suspect we'll see 6E in 2023. Gives them time to get some more stuff out the door, errata in, playtesting and plot foreshadowing. And finish SRM seasons 9 to 12.
If so, that would make 5th a 10 year edition, from 2013 to 2023, longer than any other one. Given the massive problems with 5e, that seems like a... less than spectacular idea. Really would need to have a 5.5 to fix the horrible structural problems that have still not been addressed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #115 on: <09-28-18/2304:23> »
Industry wise I don't think we will see much in the way of new editions until late 2020 or after.

Pathfinder 2.0 is in the works. 2 years of play testing or so, amusingly I heard it described as 4.5.

5th I don't think is in big hurry to edition up, their attempt to merge Magic and D&D is where I think they focusing right now. So I expect to see more support for that.   

Onyx Path, we might see some revised OWoD, NWoD thing? They keep pushing new titles. But I don't feel they are really interested in pushing the agenda.

FFG is soaking up profits from Star Wars in ever known table top method, and probably coming out with unknown ones. We will see their version of L5R soon.

Can Ulissies Spiele make the jump to a T1 Table top gaming company? Anyone read their 40k variant? I love FFG Rogue trader to much at the moment. 

7th sea 2nd continue to expand their setting, maybe start some meta soon?

Catalyst doesn't seem like it's in a hurry to close out 5th. I think an anniversary edition, then maybe we ride up plot book mountain? We need a dragon book for sure, maybe some Milspec? More Prime runner support? Fixing Riggers? Making the Matrix Make Sense?, I for one really miss RNG adventure tables from 3rd. Lots of stuff from 3rd that never got shuffled forward, maybe how to play corp again? Plenty of room for adventure mod, lots ground work has been layed in the last couple releases. Lots of plot from the tarot book to mess with.
« Last Edit: <09-28-18/2308:18> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #116 on: <09-29-18/0037:06> »
It would be nice to see an open play-test of any new rule system; IF they are planning a new edition...

But those can also throw a lot of mud onto issues as well...

Also, Editions seem to last until the ideas for book runs out, not for a set number of years number of years.

Or when something "huge happens" within the company.
« Last Edit: <09-29-18/0051:33> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #117 on: <09-29-18/2315:36> »
I doubt we will see large scale play tests for SR. That never been their MOD, as far as I know.
5th closed most of the system holes that 4th developed.
But at this point 5th it has several of its own.

Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #118 on: <09-29-18/2349:42> »
'At this point'? The biggest holes in 5e have been there since the very start. The Matrix was completely FUBAR, and has moved to 'mostly FUBAR'. TMs are still getting smacked around like a redheaded stepchild. The extra magic books have just made things more complicated, with them adding in kindof sortof magic bullets and muddying the waters with alchemy.

5e started as swiss cheese, and it is still swiss cheese.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #119 on: <09-30-18/0730:51> »
I'm not sold on the TM part (TMs are currently basically immune to drain right now), and the matrix isn't that bad. But i'll give magic bullets are an issue and add riggers to the pile as well.
Thinking
com
speaking