NEWS

Going in! 1st 5th Edition game as GM

• 20 Replies

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-01-13/1029:11> »
The current guideline on what an attack action is is "Don't be a dick, you know when something is an attack." Treat this as a common sense deffinition not a rules lawyery one.

The diversity of action (for instance recklessly casting a buff spell and shooting a gun) are exactly what the rule is supposed to achieve.

incrdbil

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <10-01-13/1052:27> »
The current guideline on what an attack action is is "Don't be a dick, you know when something is an attack." Treat this as a common sense deffinition not a rules lawyery one.

The diversity of action (for instance recklessly casting a buff spell and shooting a gun) are exactly what the rule is supposed to achieve.

Something can be an attack action at one point, and not at another, but an action prohibition based on intent, rather than capability doesn't make sense.  It's not a matter of common sense; it defies common sense that you can only do a certain action when you know it wont hurt anyone, but you can do an equally complex action in its place simply because it doesn't directly hurt someone or something.

Well, I'm glad to know the official ruling, so I can make it clear to the group what the house rules are.

I'll just add it to my proposed house rule list to my group.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-01-13/1100:43> »
You might try the rule as it stands first. It tends to result in much more varied and fluid combat and cut down a lot on the repetitive "I fire two short bursts."

I suspect that if you try it on its feet you'll actually like it.

incrdbil

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <10-01-13/1301:24> »
You might try the rule as it stands first. It tends to result in much more varied and fluid combat and cut down a lot on the repetitive "I fire two short bursts."

I suspect that if you try it on its feet you'll actually like it.

From my experience if its worth doing different actions, players will do it on their own without being forced to.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-01-13/1319:16> »
Like I said, you might try it. In my experience it makes combat a lot more fluid and fun.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <10-01-13/1358:16> »
From my experience if its worth doing different actions, players will do it on their own without being forced to.
Count yourself lucky.

Some of us end up with a team member's player deciding something along the lines of "I'll just go check out what is in this other room," in the middle of combat because the 1 obvious course of action they original thought of got made more difficult (but not actually impossible) between whenever they thought it up (and didn't bother telling anyone their plan) and when their turn to act came around.

It is very helpful to have the rules system encourage players of that sort to do more than just move + shoot by making them feel like they are wasting an action if that is all they choose to do.