NEWS

Is Mil-Spec Armor "Powered"?

• 10 Replies

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« on: <04-22-19/2130:20> »
I was reading the description of the Hardened Mil-Spec Armor in run & gun, and it seems that they would need some sort of actuators to be able to move in them at all (especially the heavy armor). Is the armor motion power-assisted, or is the onboard power only for accessories/upgrades?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <04-23-19/0050:33> »
I don't see anything about it involving any onboard power?_? And I'd say that the halved-movement is enough to cover the restrictions, so I wouldn't make this brickable myself.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Midnight_Creeper

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-14-19/1509:41> »
I've always assumed it was like the Juggernaut Suit from Call of Duty, a variation on the modern Advanced Bomb Suit.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <07-17-19/1559:34> »
Just to lend some insight into the confusion, the latest stuff in 5E isn't officially powered based on the description. However, based on the accompanying artwork, anything that bulky(especially the medium and heavy versions) would have to have some sort of motion-assisted servos just in order for the wearer to move. So it's not really powered armour like Iron Man or 40K, where it allows you to punch through walls and such. In fact, because it slows down your movement speed, I'd argue it is only partially powered, and the technology behind the joints and mobility is lagging a bit behind.

Interestingly, in 4E the Milspec armour COULD be powered. There were 2 Milspec-only armour modifications that were pertty expensive, but added 1-3 extra points of strength(that stacked with the user's augmented strength), and  extra leg servos that added to the user's run speed. Both of those combined basically scream Power Armour, so I'm not sure why the designers and writers decided to remove it for 5E. Maybe they thought it was getting a bit too sci-fi for Shadowrun, and didn't fit with the whole Future Dystopia atmosphere.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <07-19-19/1426:30> »
It is probably assisted, similar to the things used in Edge of Tomorrow.
Not that SR ever paid much attention to what is powered and for how long the power lasts.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-19-19/1439:16> »
There *is* a certain elegance in simplicity in the rule of "Your fuel/power lasts until GM Fiat says it ran out".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-19-19/1617:32> »
It isn't powered by design, no, but I'd planned on adding the option down the line. Just got kind of left behind in the shuffle.

(Back in 1st and 2nd ed, there was talk about powered battlesuits, aka the knight Sabres, but they were never published.)

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-19-19/1621:50> »
I wish they’d up the tech and include powered armor maybe even some level of powered armor in soft armors and armor clothing. Make it interfere with a mages ability to cast spells In some ways like you need a level of cyber to interact it like a low end control rig. Give mundanes some awesome toys.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <07-20-19/0416:13> »
I wish they’d up the tech and include powered armor maybe even some level of powered armor in soft armors and armor clothing. Make it interfere with a mages ability to cast spells In some ways like you need a level of cyber to interact it like a low end control rig. Give mundanes some awesome toys.

There is a thread about that here on the forums at some point... I can't remember all of it, but it basically boiled down to:

IF "Rule of Cool": Sure why not. its kinda cool and such...
IF "Physics matters": the moment you mix tech that moves OVER flesh joints, you risk severed tendons... A pneumatic piston unload can reach full extension (180d, like your elbow) in less then 0.01 seconds... faster then your tendons can contract... or expand....

I guess it boils down to "how much manga/metal do you want in your game?".
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Voran

• Newb
  • Voran from Dumpshock. Making the move.
« Reply #9 on: <07-23-19/1918:51> »
Part of the ongoing issue is that 'illustrations and fluff do not always match stats' :)

Personally, I think the mil-rated armor can vary.  Like a light suit isn't powered, or maybe for functions like a cooling device.  medium+ might be powered in that same nebulous was cyberlimbs are powered, but not providing extra benefits save 'helping manage its own weight/encumbrance issues'. 

I'd generally say "not powered enough to be able to independently power high-discharge battery type weapons/equipment'  but 'powered enough that you don't have to worry about your military suit 'running out of gas' while you're walking around in it.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #10 on: <07-23-19/1948:23> »
Part of the ongoing issue is that 'illustrations and fluff do not always match stats' :)

Personally, I think the mil-rated armor can vary.  Like a light suit isn't powered, or maybe for functions like a cooling device.  medium+ might be powered in that same nebulous was cyberlimbs are powered, but not providing extra benefits save 'helping manage its own weight/encumbrance issues'. 

I'd generally say "not powered enough to be able to independently power high-discharge battery type weapons/equipment'  but 'powered enough that you don't have to worry about your military suit 'running out of gas' while you're walking around in it.

That makes sense. I had a concept for a powered suit as a sort of mobile rigger cocoon, but I guess I'll just have to look at chopping up a vehicle.