NEWS

(6e) impact of AR, VR(cole), VR(hot)

• 19 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« on: <08-07-20/1503:58> »
It is very possible that I've missed something, but so far as I can see the game mechanics effects of these modes are:

AR: matrix initiative is reaction+intuition+1d6, no bio-feedback damage, can jack out without dump-shock

VR (cold-sim): matrix initiative is intuition+dataprocessing+2d6, bio-feedback damage is stun, dumpshock (if not first going to AR) is 3s, and since your senses are totally wired to VR you cannot effectively move around (not explicitly mentioned, but a reasonable extrapolation)*

VR (hot-sim):  matrix initiative is intuition+dataprocessing+3d6, bio-feedback damage is physical, dumpshock (if not first going to AR) is 3p, and since your senses are totally wired to VR you cannot effectively move around (not explicitly mentioned, but a reasonable extrapolation)*

I didn't find any other dice pool modifiers or edge effects

*There is no mention of loss of motor control, but doing almost anything with no sensory feedback is extremely hard.  Still, as written, I could imagine something like flapping an arm around as a signal, or having a syringe in your hand, the tip resting near your thigh, and being able to jab it into yourself.

Did I miss anything?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-07-20/1529:00> »
Yes the mechanical benefits of VR (Hot or Cold) are "just" initiative.  A GM could award Edge to a VR hacker in a dogfight with a AR hacker though.

Could be that the Limp Noodle effect in VR was overlooked.  Could be an intentional change.  Banshee would be the person to clarify.   

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-20/1550:35> »
Yes the mechanical benefits of VR (Hot or Cold) are "just" initiative.  A GM could award Edge to a VR hacker in a dogfight with a AR hacker though.

I was surprised not to see an edge factor for the various levels.  That would be a pretty reasonable house rule.

This is fantastic for stealth hackers, compared to 5th edition :D  The 4 dice difference between AR and VR in 5th was a pretty big impact, here the fact that you can hope to do your entire hack from AR, so long as you don't have to go into combat (noting too that unlike in 5th your hack won't take any more turns in AR than VR, since you are getting one major action per turn either way)

There are cases, of course, where you will still want to go into hot sim because you need to accomplish X, even if you are spotted.  But overall this makes the 'drag handle' armor mod less of an essential part of a hacker's kit.

ETA: from page 171, 6th CRB:  "In VR, the perceptions of the real world fall away; your consciousness
is subsumed into the Matrix, and your senses are overridden by the ASIST (Artificial Sensory Induction
Systems Technology) interface, more commonly known as simsense."

This was the only mention I could find of how VR affected the user.  There is mention elsewhere of how hot sim can be addictive like BTls, and the mechanical effects summarized in the first post, but so far I didn't find anything else describing the impact.
« Last Edit: <08-07-20/1556:28> by Beta »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-07-20/1558:26> »
Of course, how riggers stay on motorcycles while jumped into them has been a problem since 2nd edition.

If you're able to 'blindly' hang on even in the absence of any sensory input, that'll go some good distance in making go-gangers (and combat bikers) with VCRs make sense.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-07-20/1606:51> »
Of course, how riggers stay on motorcycles while jumped into them has been a problem since 2nd edition.

If you're able to 'blindly' hang on even in the absence of any sensory input, that'll go some good distance in making go-gangers (and combat bikers) with VCRs make sense.

Gecko grips, and "Smart Spine" jackets.   :D

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-07-20/1608:18> »
Yes the mechanical benefits of VR (Hot or Cold) are "just" initiative.
The difference between +2D6 (cold sim) and +3D6 (hot sim) is that in hot-sim you may trade your 4 minor actions into a major action (which is pretty huge!)

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #6 on: <08-07-20/1614:58> »
It drives me insane that this has never been remotely resolved!

I've only been on a bike a few times in my life, but I'm fairly sure they handle like crap if you strap a limp human on top of them, right? There's a reason bikers lean into corners. Their bodyweight is a key part of mediating the bike's grip.

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #7 on: <08-07-20/1631:41> »
I always figured that the control rig for bikes would essentially "lock" someone into position on the bike whenever they went hot. Maybe a bit like handcuffs that automatically clamp around the legs and wrists?

Part of the Control Rig installation might also be modifying the seat area so that you can lay down on top of it- maybe looking a bit like this?

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-07-20/1634:52> »

I've only been on a bike a few times in my life, but I'm fairly sure they handle like crap if you strap a limp human on top of them, right? There's a reason bikers lean into corners. Their bodyweight is a key part of mediating the bike's grip.

I'm presuming beefy gyroscope systems to let the bike lean into the turn on its own, and somehow you are strapped in place well enough that you don't fall off or tear apart ligaments from flopping around.  (that said in my game almost nobody is doing full VR on a motorcycle. )

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-07-20/1638:04> »
Yes the mechanical benefits of VR (Hot or Cold) are "just" initiative.
The difference between +2D6 (cold sim) and +3D6 (hot sim) is that in hot-sim you may trade your 4 minor actions into a major action (which is pretty huge!)

Doh, I forgot that minor actions are dice +1, so yes that is a huge difference in many cases -- maybe even more so when in sleaze mode, as you are not apt to need those minor actions for other things.   (I'm getting ready to play my first game in 6th, I'll remember all those details eventually). 

I guess the drag-handle isn't going anywhere just yet.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-07-20/1641:25> »
Extra Minor Actions are a big deal after all. As for VR and bikes: there's a run featuring controllable magnets to properly stay seated.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-07-20/1642:38> »
It drives me insane that this has never been remotely resolved!

Smart Spine Jacket!  Completely and seamlessly integrates with your Bikes Autopilot!  Compatible with all makes and models of Autopilot.  For "Hands free" control at any time!  Accept no substitutes!  Except for all the other makes and models just like it produced by every other Mega.  Smart Spine!!!!!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-07-20/1645:16> »
And yes.  Extra Minor Actions in VR are a big deal.  Thus the quotes around "just" in my above statement. 

You're "just" doubling the amount of hacking actions you can take.  No biggie.   :P

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-07-20/1652:45> »
And with a cyberjack (or living persona), some Major Actions are demoted down to Minor Actions.

+1 minor action is potentially another major action in the matrix, even if you're not going from +3d6 to +4d6.  So long, of course, as you have the cyberjack or living persona...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-07-20/1905:57> »
The lack of "Limp Noodle" is an oversight, ASIST overrides muscular control too.

As for the bike thing ... that is another throwback that has never been revisisited since I think 2e, but it was reasoned as gyroscopic stabilization. The same technology that allows them to balance with no rider at all.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team