NEWS

SR5 Sensor question

• 4 Replies

Hanzo

• Newb
« on: <03-20-20/0602:26> »
Last session we had an arguement with our GM regarding the Sensors "How to" question.

We have several options accotding to SR5 CRB p. 445:

(When you use the sensor array for Perception Tests, you may (hate this word) use your Electronic Warfare skill in place of your Perception skill, and you may use the sensor’s Rating as your limit)

Presume that PC is using Handheld Motion Sensor (so cap Rating is 3)

a) Perception + Intuition [Mental] vs. Stealth + Agility [Physical]
b) Electronic Warfare + Logic [Sensor Rating] vs. Stealth + Agility [Physical] (I vote for this one)
c) Perception + Intuition [Sensor Rating] vs. Stealth + Agility [Physical]
d) Electronic Warfare + Logic  [Mental] vs. Stealth + Agility [Physical]

I've got the folowing questions:

1) What answer (I mean option) is the right one ?)))
2) And can Sensors go wireless to grant (Rating) dicepool bonus?

What's the point of Rating for such Sensors as Atmosphere Sensor, Geiger counter etc. ? Say the weather changes and 6 successes (if we use car sensors) shows me what ? Or 6 success in Geiger counter say me ?... I see only reason of Rating in Motion Sensor. Otherwise sensors should be used as GM's sensors (1 hit to see all).

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: <03-20-20/0842:48> by Hanzo »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <03-20-20/0702:23> »
With some Sensors, rating is part of the roll they make. With some, it's Capacity (e.g. a Camera). With others, the rating itself doesn't matter, but an entire array must have the same rating.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-20-20/0857:06> »
So what do I need to roll to use Sensors ? a/b/c/d ? I get the idea that some work with no roll at all, like Geiger counter.

And what about wireless bonus ?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-20-20/1018:59> »
It's a OR b depending on if you choose to use a sensor or not

There is always a "roll" ... but if the threshold is low enough to can alway use the auto hits rule. Using Geiger counter as example... high radiation may only need 1 hit to detect so if you pool is at least 4 it's an auto hit detect, but if the radiation is minimal it may require 3 hits to detect.

Don't know about wireless without looking it up
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-20-20/1120:22> »
A person or critter trying to detect a person, critter, or vehicle without using sensors is resolved with Perception + Intuition [Mental]

A person or critter trying to detect a person, critter, or vehicle with the help of remote controlling sensors is either resolved with Perception + Intuition [Sensor or Data Processing (whichever is lowest)] or Electronic warfare + Intuition [Sensor or Data Processing (whichever is lowest)].

An auto pilot acting on its own would roll Pilot + Clearsight [Sensor].

A person or critter trying to hide would oppose this test with Stealth + Agility [Physical]

A remote controlled vehicle trying to avoid detection would oppose with Stealth or Pilot (whichever is lowest) + Reaction [Handling or Data Processing (whichever is lowest)].

An auto pilot acting on its own would roll Pilot + [Model] Stealth [Handling]

Operating a bug scanner is resolved with Electronic Warfare + Logic [Rating].

If you turn it wireless on then you can instead resolve this test with Rating + Logic [Rating] (which might be handy since Electronic warfare is not a skill you are allowed to default to).

A device that is running silent can use its owners Logic (if it is an attended device) or its own Device rating (if unattended) + its own (or its master's) Sleaze rating (if it have one) to oppose the test.

(rules and such questions for previous editions are normally posted here: https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?board=29.0 )