NEWS

Shadowrun through the ages: example of ranged combat resolution in 1e through 6e

• 33 Replies

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #30 on: <02-22-20/0359:27> »
Also, you answered a question to a heated conversation I had 5 years ago with our Sammy....
Go on...

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #31 on: <02-22-20/1153:44> »
Also, you answered a question to a heated conversation I had 5 years ago with our Sammy....
Go on...

not really relevant to anything here. Just when we went to move out characters from 3e to 4e, our Sammy threw a mild hissy fit at the time. I didn't really get what he was pissed about then...

basically its the cost differences between 3e and 4e...
« Last Edit: <02-22-20/1646:27> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <02-22-20/1640:08> »
I've added a section about the action economy to the document.

Ahhh, the fond memories of ordering pizza when combat started.... The 2 meth soaked, cyber wired gun totting circus monkeys would EACH go 4 to 6 times before my mage would..

I liked that as a mage.  When I eventually went if i went at all it was more powerful, and I had far more utility. It usually only took 5 minutes or so before I got to go. The imagery of a street sam moving faster than your eye could track while you struggled to get a spell off was awesome to me.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-15-20/0642:27> »
I've added a section about the action economy to the document.
Very nice to see it laid out out like this(!)

If you like some feedback on the document I have a few minor nitpicks that you might or might not want to use (up to you).

Initiative row. 5e "same as 4e" (rather than repeating it). 6e "same as 4e" (rather than repeating it)

Basic intiative row. 4e is empty. 6e "same as 5e"

Would also have been interesting with a third character with 4 or even 5 minor actions, to highlight and compare, since this is the biggest change in 6e compared to earlier edition. Perhaps a character that is in hot-sim VR. Or is perhaps using the second highest wired reflexes the market have to offer (which also cost 3 essence in all editions, including 6e).

In the Multiple actions within the turn table you might want to mention number of actions within an phases, number of action phase within an initiative pass and number of initiative passes within a combat turn. You also might want to mention that an initiative pass in previous edition is basically what they called a "turn" in 6e (you don't reroll initiative between initiative passes, combat turn is when you reroll initiative).

On the initiative results row, instead of "N/A" for 6e perhaps consider something like; "Each Initiative dice give one extra minor action"

In the example turn table, since "turns" in 6e act mechanically a lot more like what we used to call "initiative passes" from previous editions (for example, you don't reroll as you do between combat turns), maybe consider adding a few more rows (you have the space):
   25: Alice acts
   11: Bob acts
end of turn (but don't roll new initiative)
end of turn (but don't roll new initiative)

On action type row, consider having something like "On their phase, characters may exchange 4 minor actions for 1 major action" for the 6e column

In 6th edition there are *many* minor (anytime) actions and major (anytime) actions you can take out of order. This is mechanically the same thing as the older free actions, simple interrupt actions and complex interrupt actions from previous edition. Not sure where this belong or how to phrase it though, but I think this should be mentioned somewhere. On free action row (perhaps) and on the interrupt action row (perhaps)?

On SS weapon row. For 6e consider simplifying the text to "All weapons can be fired once per major action."

On running row. For 5e this is also a free action ("same as 4e").
SR5 p. 164 Run
Running uses a Free Action and inflicts Running movement modifiers.

On the trolls row, consider to also mention dwarf speed and if it changed throughout the editions.

Running penalty row, 5th edition column "same as 4e".
SR5 p. 162 Running Modifiers
Characters who are running take a –2 dice pool modifier to all actions performed while running

Sprinting row, 6e consider simplifying the text to "Can sprint via Athletics skill (Major action), cannot be combined with Move minor action"

Example turn order with all characters attacking as often as possible with SA/BF weapons table. Alice have Wired Reflexes 2 which only give her 1 major and 3 minor actions. Might be interesting to highlight that people that just augment their initiative with 1-2 essence are the big losers in 6e. But it is also interesting to highlight that people that invest 3+ essence both get to attack more often and get to land more attacks earlier than they did in previous edition (which is what Alice is currently showcasing in this table, a notation that I don't think a lot of people didn't fully understood).

Edit: Once again, just minor nitpicks.
I really appreciate the work you put into this.
« Last Edit: <03-15-20/0723:46> by Xenon »