NEWS

Importance of Edge

• 54 Replies

Liber Hazen

• Newb
  • Hacker
« Reply #30 on: <11-23-10/2136:25> »
I give my players little beads as a reminder that they have Edge.  It helps encourage them to use it.  I refresh at the end of each adventure, rather than each session.
Thanks for the idea. I will have to use that in our game.
SR1+SR2+SR4+BT

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #31 on: <11-24-10/1441:04> »
We don't use Edge much in my games.  Everyone knows it's there (well, most do), it's just that no one really seems to care.  I've reminded everyone of it a few times and pointed it out as an extra little push in hard situations and always been met with an indifferent, "Meh."  *shrugs*

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <11-26-10/1830:35> »
That's so weird. Gamers turning up their nose at free dice?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <11-26-10/1842:32> »
I'm perplexed, as well.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #34 on: <11-26-10/1948:00> »
Don't ask me.  I assume at least one of them doesn't use it because she has Bad Luck and a lot of grenade and rocket launchers, but other than that, no clue.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #35 on: <11-26-10/2042:27> »
There's a point where it's overkill and doesn't add anything. Honestly what's the point after you have enough dice to succeed?
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #36 on: <11-26-10/2100:14> »
There's a point where it's overkill and doesn't add anything. Honestly what's the point after you have enough dice to succeed?

Just for the sake of beating Gun Nut to the punch:
There is no "Overkill". Only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload".

But, yes, the point of Edge is when you don't have enough dice, if you're throwing 12+ dice around, you have enough for most situations.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #37 on: <11-26-10/2121:47> »
Yeah, most situations.  Not when trying to kill a dragon with a steak knife.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #38 on: <11-26-10/2251:42> »
How do you know when you have enough dice to succeed?

(a)  Probability =/= certainty.  You never KNOW when you'll have enough dice for an uncontested test.

(b)  Given how many tests, particularly combat ones, are contested...and given that the other side has Edge to spend...how do you know when you've got enough, when it counts most (when lead's flying)?

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #39 on: <11-27-10/0029:23> »
When you're throwing 12+, though, its great for open ended rolls. Whether that's damage or negotiation, there are a lot of times when 8 hits matter more than 4.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <11-27-10/0950:34> »
You can also use Edge to reroll failed dice.  Ain't nuthin' wrong with that.
There is no overkill.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #41 on: <11-27-10/1002:52> »
When you are tossing 20+ die it's enough. Failed rolls are about all I use edge on.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <12-10-10/0945:02> »
Feels like there is never a reason for adding Edge to your diceroll instead of using it retroactively to reroll, but maybe I missed some finer point here?

In the games I play, Edge is usually a lifesaver (Iīve pulled my schaman from certain death by burning Edge five times, no kidding, Iīve spent roughly 15% of the characterīs earned Karma just buying that single point of Edge back time and again). We mostly use the reroll option to get those very important successes on the soak-rolls rather than maxing out hitdices.
But then again, noone in my team has ever been above 3 Edge as far as I can remember. So it might be true that you use your Edge to do other things than just surviving if you have more of it to spend...
"If you donīt stop driving through walls Iīm going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <12-10-10/0959:38> »
For the times when the dice pool is small (6 dice or less) adding the Edge dice to the roll can give two or three more hits, with the potential for more hits than the dice pool could generate on its own (keep rolling those 6's).  When it gets into the double digits, it starts getting more efficient to buy the reroll.
There is no overkill.

Rascal

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <12-10-10/1624:16> »
For the times when the dice pool is small (6 dice or less) adding the Edge dice to the roll can give two or three more hits, with the potential for more hits than the dice pool could generate on its own (keep rolling those 6's).  When it gets into the double digits, it starts getting more efficient to buy the reroll.

Are we 3:rd edition? īCause I was thinking 4:th here, where 5 and 6 are equal successes and the sixes donīt explode?

Also, you never get to spend more than one point of Edge per roll, right? Canīt keep spending to reach even better result..?
"If you donīt stop driving through walls Iīm going to start rolling for the van to explode - this is an American game!"