NEWS

Shadowrun Sixth World: Website recap (SPOILERS!!!)

• 6 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« on: <06-25-19/0106:17> »
Since the extremely-long posts in white text are distracting, I figured I'd recap here. Please don't post responses here, but in the original topic instead.

Day 1:

> Hey, what’s up with the clock?
> Slamm-0!

> With everything that’s going on, you’re worried about the clock?
> Bull

> Well, yeah. It was almost done. I wanted to see what was going to happen.
> Slamm-0!

> Maybe you should pull your head out and see what’s going on in the world.
> Bull

> Stuff’s going on? Hold on …
> Slamm-0!

> Don’t see many headlines. If anything, it seems like a quiet day.
> Slamm-0!

> Are you looking at the newsnets? Maybe try digging into the sources who tell the real news?
> Bull

> Holy drek.
> Slamm-0!

> That’s why you’re getting no news. Philly, DeeCee, Newark, St. Louis and more have all gone dark. No Matrix traffic at all.
> Glitch

> What happened?
> Slamm-0!

> Good question. No explosions, though, at least none large enough to take out a city. So they’re probably still there.
> Glitch

> Explosions aren’t always needed to make things go away.
> Man-of-Many-Names

> We really need to figure out how to get MoMN off this channel. Anyway, drones are inbound—they’ll get us pictures of what’s happening.
> Bull

> Is this connected to all the noise in Detroit?
> Glitch

> Dunno, since I don’t know what this is.
> Bull

> Guys, Kay St.’s pinging me with an urgent message. Like, panicked urgent. I’m patching him in.
> Slamm-0!

> *rt^5hs( whole ci†hhy blacked out. Everyou448ws panicked. He?rd from ÷’_drYt others?
> Kay St. Irregular

> What a piece of drek connection. Kay, you’re saying everything’s blacked out?
> Bull

> Y&^^1
> Kay St. Irregular

> So something’s going on in DeeCee, but at least Kay is still on the map.
> Glitch

> Who else is in any of these that have disappeared or whatever?
> Bull

> Lyran was in Philly last I checked. Trying to raise her.
> Glitch

> I’m not gonna be much help. Just found Netcat lying on the floor, eyes rolled back, muttering. DocWagon on the way. Gotta take care of her.
> Slamm-0!

> What the hell is happening?
> Bull

> N0 dr$8nes, no v3^^œles, nothing. Everything l00¬s right, but it #84sn’t work.
> Kay St. Irregular

> Heard from Lyran. She’s in Dover. Says it’s fine. A spirit acquaintance is going to have a look.
> Glitch

> Who the hell goes to Dover?
> Bull

> Deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep
> Netcat

> What was that? I thought Slamm-0! said Netcat was out?
> Glitch

> Here’s another weird thing. Saw a headline about mass blackouts in the UCAS. It was there for ten seconds, then it was pulled. Can’t find a trace of it now.
> Bull

> Patching in Lyran.
> Glitch

> Hey guys. Not sure I’m going to get anything good for you. My spirit friend is spooked.
> Lyran

> Is that a joke?
> Bull

> Sorry, poor word choice. But it’s not interested in investigating anything. Doesn’t want to go out at all. Keeps talking about “too much corruption.”
> Lyran

> Deep. Deep. Underneath. Under. Underneath.
> Netcat

> This is crazy. I can’t find a any cameras online in St. Louis, Toronto, or Philadelphia. Everything’s out. How do they all go out?
> Glitch

> Lyran, what kind of corruption is your spirit talking about?
> Bull

> It doesn’t want to give any more details. Poor thing is absolutely terrified.
> Lyran

> Not seeing anything is killing me. Closest drone I’ve mobilized so far is still fifty kilometers away.
> Glitch

> Which means best-case scenario is we don’t get pictures for at least half an hour.
> Bull

> If we get anything at all.
> Glitch

> Th!s is an at†aqqww%. It udS41*shYYt@1aa anything else. But I don’t know whvvv@@9u.
> Kay St. Irregular

> Deep. Underneath. Rising.
> Netcat
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <06-25-19/0106:44> »
Day 2:

> Anyone slept?
> Glitch

> Of course not! Way too much going on.
> Bull

> Still at the hospital with ’Cat. Been here too long. Gonna have to burn the SIN she’s using when she gets out.
> Slamm-0!

> How is she?
> Glitch

> About the same. Still out, still mumbling sometimes. Doc thinks it’s some kind of biofeedback damage. Like extreme dumpshock.
> Slamm-0!

> All right, keep an eye in her for us. But we need to talk about what’s going on.
> Glitch

> I know. I’m watching. Gotta keep myself occupied.
> Slamm-0!

> So I’d sum up what I know, but I’m still not sure if I know anything. There’s some active misinformation going on out there that’s mucking up the waters.
> Glitch

> What do you mean?
> Bull

> I’ve got two different feeds streaming in front of me right now. One of them shows rioting in Nashville. The other one shows normal nighttime traffic in Nashville, with the whole city looking peaceful. One of them is fake, but it’s a good fake. Seamless.
> Glitch

> What do we know that’s verifiable?
> Bull

> Some cities are definitely dark. DeeCee, Philly, Newark. And I got some footage of the ARCHology in St. Louis before my drone was taken out. Take a look.
> Glitch

> They got some light in there. Looks like torches. Good for them.
> Slamm-0!

> Wait, what was that? Rewind about five seconds.
> Bull

> What are you looking at?
> Glitch

> Underside of the arch. Left of center. There’s something moving.
> Bull

> I’m not seeing it.
> Glitch

> Watch the stars in the background. One goes out, then another one, then another. Because something is moving in front of them.
> Bull

> Heh. You can see the stars in St. Louis. Probably the first time a lot of those fraggers have seen how many of them there are.
> Slamm-0!

> Okay, I see it. Probably human sized, but crawling on the underside of the arch. Too bad drones can’t see astral.
> Glitch

> What happened to your drone?
> Bull

> Got zapped. Don’t know who did it. I sent another one, and it returned about half an hour ago. It’s docking and sending me what it got. Should be ready to view about … now! Enjoy.
> Glitch

> Yup, city’s still dark. Hope everyone burning stuff indoors knows how to ventilate.
> Slamm-0!

> Looks pretty calm.
> Glitch

> That’s because we’re outside. We don’t know what’s happening in that arch.
> Bull

> What’s going on in that window to the left?
> Slamm-0!

> Hopefully the sub-routines I programmed into it will tell the drone to notice that window as something interesting so we’ll get a better look
> Glitch

> Looks like it did. Yeah, there’s the chaos I was looking for. What’s that room?
> Slamm-0!

> Looks like a restaurant. Good meeting place.
> Glitch

> That’s not a meeting. That ork just decked somebody, solid. And on that pane to the right? That ain’t ketchup.
> Bull

> Holy drek, that troll has someone lifted over her head. And she’s—she’s not going to—is she?
> Slamm-0!

> Yeah, she is. Defenestration. That window must have been pummeled already to break like that. Who did she throw?
> Bull

> Please drone please drone please drone follow it down. And there it goes!
> Slamm-0!

> Let’s get a look at that poor fragger.
> Glitch

> What the hell is that?!?!?
> Slamm-0!

> I don’t even know what I’m looking at.
> Bull

> Is that a tentacle? A tumor? Where’s it’s face?
> Slamm-0!

> Why is it wearing a jacket? Doesn’t that look military?
> Glitch

> Wait. Back up. It got a shot of the left shoulder. Can we look closer?
> Bull

> What the hell …
> Glitch

> III Corps. That’s III Corps.
> Bull

> How the hell does that thing have a III Corps jacket?
> Slamm-0!

> I don’t know. But that’s what that is.
> Glitch

> III Corps disappeared almost 900 kilometers from St. Louis. What is that jacket doing here?
> Slamm-0!

> And how did that thing get it?
> Glitch

> And how did it get in the arch?
> Bull

> Good questions. But more footage is coming in. From lots of places. Going to try to compile it. Might take a day. This stuff is a mess.
> Glitch
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <06-25-19/0801:58> »
I'm making this thread sticky while stuff's going on.

David Chart

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-25-19/2111:31> »
Because it's not fair to put all the work on one person. Today's is a bit shorter.

Day 3:

> How’s that video compilation coming along?
> Slamm-0!

> Rough. Files keep getting deleted. I think they have embedded code erasing them as soon as I try to monkey with them.
> Glitch

> Someone’s putting a lot of effort into all this.
> Bull

> Tell me about it. I’m developing new processes on the fly to try to get something.
> Glitch

> Like what?
> Slamm-0!

> Teaching bots to edit. They’re gathering stuff and assembling it without me putting an eye on it. It’s gonna be a mess, but it will be more than we have.
> Glitch

> Whatever you get, I’ll look at.
> Slamm-0!

> It’ll be up soon. Except—hell, someone’s trying to hack the footage!
> Glitch

> For why? Erasing it?
> Slamm-0!

> No. Looks like an old-school video pirate thing.
> Glitch

> Oh, I definitely want to see that. Get it up here.
> Slamm-0!

> Working on it.
> Glitch
David Chart
Waiting for Ryumyo
http://www.davidchart.com/

ChromeCoyote

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-26-19/0003:36> »
Glitch's video link (Day 4?):
https://vimeo.com/344454837

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-26-19/0955:30> »
Glitch's video link (Day 4?):
https://vimeo.com/344454837

Transcript:
[OVERLAPPING NEWS REPORTS]
Philly is down. Matrix is completely crashed here. Ejected and dumpshocked …
Violence has been reported …
A flash was reported over the city …
Baltimore has just gone dark …
A hundred and fifty thousand in critical condition …
Martial law declared across the UCAS …
New York, Halifax, and Providence … Lexington all gone dark …
Dumpshock death count rises …
Unknown origin …
D.C. next to fail …
Log off the Matrix immediately.

LOADING …
[SILHOUETTE SPEAKING]
We have access. We don’t know how long it will last. They’re locking everything down. We have to act, and act quickly. We’ve been so busy responding to the emergency that we can’t do anything else. But we have to. We can’t just react; we have to stop them. Who are they? Look at what we know. They’re sending us a clear message: Everything you have, everything that you’re about, is fragile. The society that keeps you safe, that gives you the things that you need, can be taken away at a moment, in an instant. Everything can be lost. So we have to ask: Who wants to break society? Who always talks about destroying the world, tearing it down before it can be rebuilt? Who are the malcontents, the ones who think that they know better than everyone else, when what they really want is chaos, and power? Who are the ones willing to go to such extreme lengths to get it? You know who the destroyers are. Maybe you even know some of them. Or seen what they can do to the world. What they want to do. We have to act. We have to protect ourselves, and we can’t let them get any stronger. [GUNSHOT] They’re a plague. They will bring disaster. We have to fix it. We can’t just sit by and wait for things to get worse. We have to reclaim our world! [GUNSHOT]

David Chart

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-19/2029:02> »
New chat! (06-29)

> So we’ve had the video for a little, and hopefully we’ve all removed ourselves from imminent danger. What do we know now?
> Glitch

> The claims about DeeCee are overblown. They whole city hasn’t gone dark—it may have some rioting, but that could just be in response to the other cities.
> Bull

> Someone’s working hard on the misinformation. I’ve read at least three first-hand accounts of people living through the DeeCee blackout. Two of them I’ve debunked with a lot of confidence. The third is unclear. Matrix research is a bitch right now.
> Slamm-0!

> I assume you’ve seen all the people who say that lights are and have been on.
> Glitch

> Yeah. Like I said, tons of misinformation out there. This is a big effort.
> Slamm-0!

> First, yeah, duh, but second, just because we’re getting all these accounts doesn’t mean there’s a whole army of people involved. Give me one person and a few months of advance time, and I’ll get you dozens of fake eyewitness testimonies.
> Bull

> It just means we have to rely on what we’ve always relied on: Word from the street.
> Glitch

> So who do we have on the ground in the UCAS?
> Bull

> Lyran is still in Philly. Frosty poked her head out to say she’s on the eastern seaboard—she’s going to Toronto. Man-of-Many-Names is checking out St. Louis. Kay St. should still be in DeeCee, but I haven’t heard from him—really want to get word from him to straighten out what’s happening there. Sunshine’s going to Newark.
> Glitch

> Calm down, I’m here. I hear you’ve been looking for me?
> Kay St. Irregular

> Look at him, strolling in all casual.
> Slamm-0!

> I wouldn’t say casual. It’s been a busy few days, as you can imagine. Still trying to sort everything out, obviously.

> Yes, we can imagine it fine, since you barely could get any text through last time we chatted.
> Bull

> I couldn’t?
> Kay St. Irregular

> Yes. When you were sending us messages from DeeCee. You might not have seen it, but they got garbled on the way to us.
> Glitch

> Messages from DeeCee? I haven’t made it there yet. I’d been in Seattle, since there was a flurry of UCAS diplomats traveling there. I’ve been trying to make it to DeeCee since things went down, but travel sucks right now.
> Kay St. Irregular

> You’re not in DeeCee?
> Bull

> That’s what I said.
> Kay St. Irregular

> You weren’t messaging us from there a few days ago?
> Bull

> Nope.
> Kay St. Irregular

> Were you messaging us from anywhere?
> Bull

> Still no.
> Kay St. Irregular

> Drek.
> Glitch

> That’s not just someone spinning out a bunch of fakes stories over the past few months. They’ve got skills.
> Bull

> Guess who gets to spend an evening reviewing and revamping all of our security protocols?
> Slamm-0!

> All of us.
> Glitch

> Oh. Poo.
> Slamm-0!

> But I’m also sending messages out to people on the ground. Let’s annotate that video. See if we can start sorting out truth and misinformation. And see if we can figure out anything about that poor slot in the second half of the video.
> Glitch

David Chart
Waiting for Ryumyo
http://www.davidchart.com/