NEWS

Community Project: Update to 5th Edition

• 25 Replies

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <08-19-14/0314:17> »
Just to pass on an update. The armor conversions are done. I still have the modifications to finish. The few that need converting are mostly straightforward. The weird ones are the military only modifications and bonus armor modifications. (Arsenal and Attitude respectively.)

For the military only mods, I am not sure how to handle it. In SR4 Chummer, they came under the Military Armor category to match the armor they were limited to. SR5 Chummer doesn't have that category. Adam? Maybe we should re-institute the Military Grade Armor category using SR4 Chummer as a guide?

The bonus armor modifications from Attitude (page 160) should cost something as they are extremely under priced for their benefit. (Especially in light of SR5 design philosophy.) Also, they currently don't have a capacity cost and they should. Tentatively, I'm considering multiplying the costs by 10 and giving them capacity costs of 1 (Kevlar Threading), 2 (Carbon-boron), and 3 (Delta-Amyloid). Thoughts?

-Ariketh

Adam

« Reply #16 on: <08-19-14/2211:15> »
Just to pass on an update. The armor conversions are done. I still have the modifications to finish. The few that need converting are mostly straightforward. The weird ones are the military only modifications and bonus armor modifications. (Arsenal and Attitude respectively.)

For the military only mods, I am not sure how to handle it. In SR4 Chummer, they came under the Military Armor category to match the armor they were limited to. SR5 Chummer doesn't have that category. Adam? Maybe we should re-institute the Military Grade Armor category using SR4 Chummer as a guide?

The bonus armor modifications from Attitude (page 160) should cost something as they are extremely under priced for their benefit. (Especially in light of SR5 design philosophy.) Also, they currently don't have a capacity cost and they should. Tentatively, I'm considering multiplying the costs by 10 and giving them capacity costs of 1 (Kevlar Threading), 2 (Carbon-boron), and 3 (Delta-Amyloid). Thoughts?

-Ariketh

For military armors, what might do is add on an extra category of mods and then reference it from the military armor.  So the armor would look like this (I'm using the Armor Jacket as an example here to show the addmodcategory tag):

Code: [Select]
    <armor>
      <name>Armor Jacket</name>
      <category>Armor</category>
      <armor>12</armor>
      <armorcapacity>12</armorcapacity>
      <addmodcategory>Military Mods</addmodcategory>
      <avail>2</avail>
      <cost>1000</cost>
      <source>SR5</source>
      <page>437</page>
    </armor>

And then add a military mod like so:

Code: [Select]
    <mod>
      <name>Super Suit</name>
      <category>Military Mods</category>
      <armor>0</armor>
      <maxrating>1</maxrating>
      <armorcapacity>[2]</armorcapacity>
      <avail>0</avail>
      <cost>0</cost>
      <source>SR5</source>
      <page>437</page>
    </mod>

By default, the Armor Mod listing only includes items in the General category but the addmodcategory tag tells Chummer that this item should include an extra category as well.

As for the Attitude armor mods, I agree with your pricing idea but would be tempted to go 2/3/4 on the capacity. Within a 5th edition context, bonus armor is hard to come by and generally has a significant down side and capacity is the biggest disadvantage available to us without creating one from scratch. Just my two nuyen.
« Last Edit: <08-19-14/2212:48> by Adam »

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-20-14/0150:46> »
By default, the Armor Mod listing only includes items in the General category but the addmodcategory tag tells Chummer that this item should include an extra category as well.

That sounds great! But that looks like the original files will need to be modified to accept the custom content. To save you on time, I'd be glad to do the entries that need to be changed for your copy/pasting to the master files.

As for the Attitude armor mods, I agree with your pricing idea but would be tempted to go 2/3/4 on the capacity. Within a 5th edition context, bonus armor is hard to come by and generally has a significant down side and capacity is the biggest disadvantage available to us without creating one from scratch. Just my two nuyen.

Sounds good to me! I'll do that then.

-Ariketh

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-21-14/1622:59> »
Alright. Armor conversions are mostly done.

Here's a highlight of things that I did:
- I did not include the German Arsenal content.
- Converted content from Attitude, Arsenal, and War. Armor and Mods from other sources have already been converted into SR5 stats.
- Clockwork Vest was merged with part of the Steampunk line. Difference in cost between the original Steampunk Vest and the Clockwork Vest was used to determine the Steampunk line with the Clockwork Vest.
- Tiffany Dress had its capacity calculated based on the dress conversions in Run and Gun.
- Carbon-Boron, Delta Amyloid, and Kevlar Threading mods from Attitude have had their costs multiplied by 10, and have the capacity cost of 3, 4, and 2 respectively.
- Military Mods are limited to Military and Security armors. The armors are listed as Custom <armor>.

Additionally, there is a weird bug with Redundant Process Manufacturing. The only odd part of the entry compared to other entries is the cost formula. Rating * Armor Cost. Armor Cost * any value seems to work. Rating * any value works. But Rating * Armor Cost doesn't.

It calculates right when selected in the modification dialog, but when I press the OK button, it throws an integer error and causes a nasty multi-dialog crash. I had to completely close Chummer and reopen it to clear the weirdness.

There is also an error with the integrated weapon mods. It's fine when selected in the mod dialog, but clicking the okay button causes a crash. I'm betting it's something minor that I've overlooked.

Included in the Zip is the custom_books file as well. You will need to enable the books in the options dialog to see the new armor and mods.

Please let me know if anything is missing. (Other than the German Arsenal Content.)

-Ariketh
« Last Edit: <08-21-14/1705:59> by Ariketh »

Adam

« Reply #19 on: <08-21-14/2038:48> »
Alright. Armor conversions are mostly done.

Amazing work!  I'll dig in and take a good look tomorrow and will pay particular attention to the issues you highlighted to see if there's anything I can help with.

Very simply, thank you.

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <08-23-14/1310:01> »
Unless something comes up regarding armor, I'll move on to critters and their powers next week (Monday-ish). This weekend a friend of mine and I are doing a D3 marathon, so I won't be getting any work done this weekend.  ;D

-Ariketh

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <08-24-14/0922:28> »
Starting on the bioware file, but I have some questions since I'm new to XML. Specifically, what generates the id attribute for each of the entries?

Also Hair Growth (pg. 62) is not entirely quantified. 

ETA: Using XML Notepad.
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/0930:05> by Lusis »
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Adam

« Reply #22 on: <08-24-14/1141:04> »
Starting on the bioware file, but I have some questions since I'm new to XML. Specifically, what generates the id attribute for each of the entries?

Also Hair Growth (pg. 62) is not entirely quantified. 

ETA: Using XML Notepad.

Omit the ID entry for now. I made an application that adds them for me and I need to look into how translation for custom data files works before we worry about the ID entries.

And for Hair Growth, page 62 from which book?

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <08-24-14/1142:55> »
Oops. It's in Augmentation.
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #24 on: <08-24-14/1953:07> »
Adam, I should finally have some time this week after work to build those Paragons and Streams for you.  I'll get back to you as soon as I'm done.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-15-14/1502:56> »
Just to pipe up and provide an update: Life got really busy for me lately, so I've only been able to work on the critters and their powers in bits and pieces. I've been stealing time at work as I can. It's going, just not as fast as I'd like.

-Ariketh