NEWS

SR3 Otaku help.

• 5 Replies

TheKT

• Newb
« on: <03-12-16/1638:42> »
I'm not sure if you guys field SR3 questions, if you don't then feel free to disregard this post. 

Okay, a couple of questions; I know that I need good Int and Will attributes, and body isn't bad to have either, but should I dump the other attributes too hard? 

And what about skills, I know I need Computers between 6 and 8, and then I need to fill in the Channels (Access, Control, Index, Files, and Slave) but what other skills would be useful?  Also, can I use my base skill points to add to the channels or is it only the special pool you get?

With knowledge skills, do I need any design skills, or is that more for deckers?

That's all the questions I have right now, but if you have any general advice not covered by these questions, feel free to throw them out there, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure this all out.  Thanks for your time.

KraakenDazs

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-16/1702:58> »
i skipped 3E myself (Only one i skipped unfortunately) but null sweat, there are some earlier edition boards with nostalgic players more than willing to assist, so you should be able to find some answers albeit perhaps a bit slower than with 5e.

However the post will likely be moved by one of the mods to those "correct" boards at some point as the main boards are mainly used for the actual 5E edition. :)
Maybe, just maybe, concrete and Plasteel are MEANT to armor our planet, and not harm it, omae. Hydroponics can nourish our needy. And i assure you nuclear energy's been involved in getting you that fancy 'ware, chummer.Our mistake? Trading Wisdom for Greed. - Dögan "Babyface" Kross

TheKT

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-16/1718:31> »
Which boards are those?  I looked around and didn't see anything about older editions of the game.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-12-16/1747:49> »
On the index page, under the main Rules & Such board, there is a "child board" for past editions, which I assume caters to more than just rules questions and also could help with chargen.
Playability > verisimilitude.

TheKT

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-12-16/1922:42> »
Thanks guys, and thanks for the move Mod. 

olg707

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-22-16/1625:28> »
 "And what about skills, I know I need Computers between 6 and 8, and then I need to fill in the Channels (Access, Control, Index, Files, and Slave) but what other skills would be useful? "

>>Small unit tactics is a great skill, especially as a gamer geek [I need more DPS on the troll stat! Use indirect fire! REKT!]
>>For other skills, I would look to Etiquette, possibly the specialization Matrix.
>>Matrix geeks are more than just hackers, they are great at legwork and information.
>>Don't forget contacts, including shadowboards like Denver Nexus and Shadowlands.
>>Stealth is useful in avoiding combat. [Hide and seek much?]

"Also, can I use my base skill points to add to the channels or is it only the special pool you get?"

>>You can use Active skill points to add to your channels, but the channels do have starting limits. (pg 167 Matrix 1st printing)

"With knowledge skills, do I need any design skills, or is that more for deckers?"

>>Design skills could be used to write software in your downtime.
>>This could be for other deckers use, but as an otaku it would mostly be for side income.
>>I would consider system familiarity knowledge skills (pg 24-25 Matrix 1st printing)

"That's all the questions I have right now, but if you have any general advice not covered by these questions, feel free to throw them out there, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure this all out.  Thanks for your time."

>>As a starting character, you will want to avoid direct combat.
>>Use cover, smoke, and whatever else you can to keep you self out of line of sight.
>>Use karma to improve your physical stats and stealth skill before working on a combat skill.
>>Your primary assistance to the team is information.
>>What security measures are in place.
>>What is the passcode to open the door.
>>The hunted target just purchased a soykaf at this gas station[address].
>>Besides legwork, you can provide overwatch for the team, in the Matrix while the team goes in physically.
>>Watch the cameras and direct your team away from patrols.
>>Cause false sensor feed disturbances to pull security away from you team's location.
>>Open doors to let your team through.
>>Add a passcode for the team to use.
>>Remove passcodes so Security has trouble passing through a door.
>>Deactivate or edit sensors to get the hidden gun through the security checkpoint.
>>Turn on the sprinklers to confuse the bloodhounds.
>>Know and use the environment to both help your team and hinder the opposition.
>>Don't forget to have fun!