NEWS

Shadowrun: The Clutch of Dragons Now Available!

• 63 Replies

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #30 on: <08-09-12/2124:50> »
God, I hope not.

But the man is 75 years old now. And has done a lot of re-wiring to his brain over the years. Hopefully, it's nothing more than old age.
My money is on him making someone underestimate him because of his age/cybernetic poisoning.

I had the random (and very likely incorrect) thought that it might be similar to times when other JackPoint members have had folks other than themselves use their account to make remarks (Frosty's being used by our old buddy the Laughing Man in Clutch of Dragons, for instance). Except my brain went straight to whatever Captain Chaos' e-ghost calls itself.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #31 on: <08-09-12/2352:55> »
Just finished the opening fiction while eating my lunch... very, very cool.  Kick butt team (and I remember Pac Man posting before, I'm sure of it...)  Would love to know what happens next.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <08-10-12/0623:06> »
Ok... whats up with Fastjack... is he finally getting a bit old and lossing his edge?

Examples:

[spoiler]
> You a snitch bitch?
> FastJack
> Where did that come from?
> Icarus
> I don’t even remember writing that.
> FastJack
[/spoiler]

and

[spoiler]
Finally, there’s the Tools
of the Opposition  le, where Fatima looks at some the latest
technology being worked on in an e ort to get metahumanity
on more equal footing with the dragons.
> Um, actually, FastJack, I wrote that. Fatima’s dead, remember?
> Beaker
[/spoiler]

and

[spoiler]
> Yeah. I’m not touching that one, especially considering the source.
‘Jack, has Cerberus received permanent guest status here or
something?
> Slamm-0!
> I could have sworn I locked him out three different times. Either
he’s incredibly stubborn or I’m slipping.
> FastJack
[/spoiler]

okay... maybe not the last one.

Alternate theory: something like a Free Sprite or even an AI has imprinted on FastJack and managed to duplicate his electronic signature, and is posting stuff it may not actually understand.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-10-12/1408:14> »
OK, so not long after my last post in this thread, my internet shut down. I take this as an omen. Not the least of which because of the events in The Things We Do For Love, Parts 1 & 2. I'll put my point by point review in spoilers, since I know some of you Neo-Luddites out there don't like grabbing the PDF, and insist on (ugh!) hard copy. ;)

[spoiler]... As I said before, this is where I started getting the impression that the whole world was in a drekload of trouble. ... If it came to all out war between metahumans and dragons, even today it would not go well for dragonkind. They might not lose completely, but they would be driven to the brink of extinction.... Oh, and because of all this, the Treaty of Denver has expired. Which means that at any moment we could see a Second Great Ghost Dance War, with Denver at the center of it. Oh, and the whole NAN might go up in smoke, too. ... Denver's becoming a bunker city with a "Denver vs. the World" attitude, and Ghostwalker reigns supreme. ...  His attacks on both sides of the CAS-Aztlan border have set the CAS on a course that seems hell bent on war with the Azzies, though Sirrurg is only an excuse for this, since what the CAS hardliners really want is the rest of Texas, and to join in the Azzie-stomping the dragons are doing. ... More than that, if Colloton decides to move against Ghostwalker, she's in the kind of mood that she may very well send an armored division or two straight across the Sioux by land to Denver. ... The Fallen (including some who may be inside Ares already) are out to take down everyone and everything that was involved in taking down CATCo. Knight is at the top of the list, of course, but Davjar, Rhonabwy, and Hestaby are also on their hit list. They literally just want to see all these people burn. ... Harlequin declares war on Ghostwalker, as the Last Knight of the Crying Spire, and lets the wyrm know that he intends to burn his entire kingdom to the ground. And he waltzed into Ding Chavez's office at that Azzie HQ in Tenochtitlan to enlist Aztechnology to help him with his 'dragon problem'.[/spoiler]
Am I the only one with the impression that the book has been designed as a list of convenient plot devices for the freelancers to get rid of whichever corporations, dragons, NPCs and North American countries they don't like?

After reading this, I'm now one step short of expecting Ryan Mercury and Thorn to team up with their Earth-Two counterparts to defeat Galactus.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #34 on: <08-10-12/2010:32> »
After reading this, I'm now one step short of expecting Ryan Mercury and Thorn to team up with their Earth-Two counterparts to defeat Galactus.
Well, now that you guessed my NEXT project, I'm going to have to work on something else, won't I?

Bastards the lot of you!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <08-10-12/2314:43> »
Bastards the lot of you!

It is my title... ;)
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <08-11-12/0413:35> »
Who knows? I'm on hiatus.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <08-11-12/1010:19> »
Don't think I won't still tap your brain, James. I'm stuck with the memory of a mayfly. :(

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #38 on: <08-11-12/1053:33> »
Don't think I won't still tap your brain, James. I'm stuck with the memory of a mayfly. :(
You think this is bad, I just started a major discussion on how to count to potato.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Big_Pete

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <08-12-12/0734:41> »
I am trying to understand the True Drake quality on page 137 for 125-150 BP

It says that it has all the quality of the Drake quality with options to get extra / swap abilities and must by either magician, adept oe mystic adept quality

The Drake Quality in Runner's Companion (p76) costs 65BP and comes with a magic rating of one

I don't see where the extra 60 BP is

I just don't get it, why the huge difference in costs? Im obviously missing the point here, can someone please explain..

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #40 on: <08-12-12/0912:14> »
Well, there's also the Essence 8 thing, and the max Edge of 8. Plus, some of those powers have a MUCH greater impact than the powers a normal drake has. A normal Drake has Mystic Armor 4 and Hardened Armor 4 in their dracoform only. A True Drake can switch those for Hardened Armor 6 and Astral Armor 6 in either form. Oh, and Dragonspeech is a handy thing.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <08-12-12/1147:12> »
Plus True Drakes can take any metahuman form, not just the form they were born as like previous drakes. Just like Great Dragons. Because remember True Drakes are dracoforms that can assume metahuman form. Previously it was only that metahuman drakes could take a dragon form. So it's one step removed from a PC dragon.
« Last Edit: <08-12-12/1149:53> by James Meiers »

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <08-12-12/1340:50> »
I should also note that this book is dense, in a good way. So much data to digest, I cannot just blast through.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Big_Pete

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <08-12-12/1839:59> »
Ok thanks for the feedback.

I knew I was missing the point.

I guess the other aspect is that a drake is essentially a metahuman and gets alot of benefits only in drake form, presumable the true dragon would retain his benefits in other forms.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <08-12-12/2019:11> »
Indeed.

I seriously considered making it a 200 BP Quality (like Free Spirits), but without the option of choosing different abilities. I think this way strikes a good balance because it also suggests that it's hard as Hell for Great Dragons to do—especially in relatively low mana—and so they're taking shortcuts at the expense of some abilities.

Assuming that you don't run into one of the supposed Fourth World leftovers. Then you're in for a world of hurt. :D
« Last Edit: <08-12-12/2021:58> by James Meiers »