• 64 Replies

Killstring

• Newb
« on: <09-25-14/1129:09> »
Anybody pick it up? Thoughts?

Pear OGrin

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-25-14/1147:39> »
Shadow Spells coming so soon off the heels of Street Grimoire makes me a little confused.

Is Shadow Spells basically Street Grimoire Part 2?

S.Miles

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-25-14/1157:53> »
Seems to be... And as Keratin Control is in Shadow Spells, you kind of need it ;)

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-25-14/1201:17> »
It's one of the adorable little mini-.pdf's that I love so. No sarcasm, I really dug Bullets & Bandages, and the Gun Haven series.

Anyway, picked it up, digging through it now.

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-25-14/1227:27> »
Overall first impression is pretty good - working through the traditions section, and it's about on-par with the SG content. One thing stuck out to me, though: the Psionic tradition is a possession tradition? At first I thought "misprint," but even if that's the case, I'm actually really interested in that.

Basically, the psionicist "creates a Tulpa," and then takes on its aspect in a more idealized self? The thought of an agnostic possession tradition is interesting as hell to me, and wow can I find some plotlines in that; a practitioner of a possession tradition that doesn't believe in spirits is just begging for something to go horribly, horribly wrong. Even if their worldview is correct, and they're just tapping into the collective unconscious, there is some SERIOUSLY BAD STUFF IN THERE.  ;D

Just had to share my WTF moment, and subsequent Evil GM Cackles.

Pear OGrin

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-25-14/1235:54> »
I guess I'm a little frustrated. I spent $50 for the long awaited magic supplement in print and now less than two months later (meaning the content was likely being worked on around the same time) there's another supplement that costs $6 for a mini PDF?

Was there a reason why these Ways and adept powers weren't included in the Grimoire?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <09-25-14/1310:25> »
eBooks are a different development line, which do not involve the same writers and all that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-25-14/1338:47> »
Did they remember the drain code formulae this time, or is that going into the corrected version of Street Magic?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <09-25-14/1353:01> »
Just picked it up, and haven't had a chance to look through it.  As Mara suggested though, part of the reason for splitting up content between the core books and the e-books might be to help separate what is "official" for Missions play more easily.  As in, you can totally play SR just fine without needing the e-books.  As to Keratin Control, I was under the impression that the intent was to add it in with Street Grimoire as well, so it might end up in the errata as well as in Shadow Spells.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Killstring

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-25-14/1425:17> »
The Nauseate spell might be a little too powerful for my tastes - anything that takes somebody out of combat for combat rounds equal to net hits should probably be a little more restrictive than F-2, no sustaining required - but I really like it all the same. But compared to Turn to Goo - which is sustained, F+1, it might be a bit too good.

Edit: nevermind, it's touch vs. LOS. The spell's just fine by me.

Adepts: Living focus is cool as hell, keratin control is here, and it's just what I wanted/figured/expected, supernatural toughness allows for some seriously tanky adepts, and I dig the powers in general.

The memory displacement adept power could use a clarification - what's the maximum on a predetermined amount of time? Since it basically erased the memory for that time, a limit on what is reasonable would be good. Capped at hours = magic rating? A year and a day? The remaining duration of the sixth world? For 0.25 power points, I'd assume it's closer to the first, but I dunno.

The cold-focused combat spells (chill and frigid) make me unreasonably happy, and getting emotion control in here is also very cool.

All told, I've got some nits to pick, but I'm overall quite happy with the e-book, and expect that it'll see more use than B&B or Assassin's primer in my games.
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1437:57> by Killstring »

Tarnus

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <09-25-14/1433:17> »
Shadow Spells coming so soon off the heels of Street Grimoire makes me a little confused.

It's stuff cut out of Street Grimoire so they could sell it separately.

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #11 on: <09-25-14/1442:17> »
Just picked it up, and haven't had a chance to look through it.  As Mara suggested though, part of the reason for splitting up content between the core books and the e-books might be to help separate what is "official" for Missions play more easily.  As in, you can totally play SR just fine without needing the e-books.  As to Keratin Control, I was under the impression that the intent was to add it in with Street Grimoire as well, so it might end up in the errata as well as in Shadow Spells.

Though unlike the medic book, this one appears to be missions legal
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-25-14/1451:28> »
The adept powers are awful. Over costed, under powered, same as SG.

And yes, this should've all been in SG to start with. What a ripoff.

Yuuuuuuup.

Peter_M_Andrew_Jr

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-25-14/1649:42> »
Afternoon Folks,

I don't wade into the threads too often, but generally peer in after one of my ebooks release, so here it goes.

Killstring - Glad you overall enjoyed it

Tarnus - It was written separately from Street Grimoire as I am one of the authors who rarely sees work in the print product. Ironically, I did do some last minute writing for Street Grimoire, but that is again, a rarity.

Sir_P - Were the adept powers costs out of line with the main rulebook? I do aim for consistency.

As always, the errors are mine and the awesomeness are the fans and the people who pulled the product together behind the curtain.

Thanks,

Peter

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #14 on: <09-25-14/1700:03> »

Say what you'd like about the quality of the product, share your opinion about the material itself, etc, etc, all you want to.  But please don't start this sort of rumor/misinformation.  The e-book line and the core book line are, by and large, entirely separate from each other (which is often bemoaned by those who complain about miscommunication and miscues between the two lines).  The e-books have their own line developer, in fact, and as I understand it, they own budget, pay rates, you name it.  Individual writers will often work for both, over time, but the two branches are separate enough they have individual google groups and lines of communication, in fact.  E-book writers often have an idea of what's coming down the pipeline elsewhere in Shadowrun, and may try to coordinate enough to go "Hey, there's a magic book hitting, let's do some magic stuff!" or something similar, but it's actually pretty rare for projects to share writers, except occasionally as folks proofing or contributing small snippets here and there.

So, no.  It's not material "cut" from anywhere.