NEWS

Improving chargen-bought contacts

• 6 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <06-28-11/0203:45> »
It might be an issue with just my group, but I figured I'd toss it out here: how easy/hard is it to improve the loyalty of contacts a player's character bought at chargen, during missions play?
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #1 on: <06-28-11/0319:43> »
It happens nearly every mission where you interact with a Missions contact, as long as you don't burn them and succeed at the job.  You'll also get the contacts for free by completing the missions, so I wouldn't suggest making a big investment in them.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-28-11/0753:37> »
If you already have the contact isn't getting them a second time through a mission treated as +1 Loyalty?
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

A.A. Salati

« Reply #3 on: <06-28-11/0806:46> »
If you already have the contact isn't getting them a second time through a mission treated as +1 Loyalty?

Each Mission will provide instructions on this. Generally, yes.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #4 on: <06-28-11/0809:35> »
Usually correct, to a maximum of 4 Loyalty.

As for non-Missions contacts (i.e., the ones you buy that aren't listed in the Missions brief), I don't think there's a mechanic for improving them in play.  A few GMs may make a call at the table if you RP particularly well with a non-Missions contact, but that's kinda rare.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-28-11/1319:09> »
Pretty much what I was talking about, Fringe. I know how the Missions contacts work; I was mainly seeing if, say, the mechanic a rigger buys as a contact at chargen will likely improve.

Looks like I'll have to get creative about shooting for loyalty improvements.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-11/1320:55> »
Non Missions Specific Characters follow the standard SR4A guidelines for improving... 

Aka, treat them very well, and the GM may (at his discretion and if he feels it's warranted), raise their loyalty.  If you go out of your way to work on your Contacts during play, you may want to ask your Gamemaster at the end of the session if you managed to improve your loyalty at all (Be polite, and don't bug him about it though).  There's a lot of wrap up to do, and at a con it's easy to forget stuff, especially the stuff that falls outside of Missions paperwork.  So a nice, simple, friendly reminder may be helpful for him to go "Oh, right!".  But just remember you won;t always raise their rating up every session.

Bull