NEWS

[SR4] How big in size can a spirit be?

• 4 Replies

Vaneheart

• Newb
« on: <05-02-15/1823:41> »
I was having trouble finding this, so I'm asking here.  I was wondering how big/large in size you can make a spirit?  I'm mostly concerned about the physical plane when it is materialized.  I know they come in all sorts of shapes, forms, and such, but is there an upper limit?  I figured it would have to be tied to something like the Force of a spirit, or perhaps its body attribute, but I haven't found anything concrete about it.  Any assistance would be appreciated, thank you.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-02-15/2344:37> »
As materialized spirits can pretty much look like whatever you want (note that it's still obvious they're spirits, no matter what), pretty much anything that doesn't have a Reach modifier in general would be fair game to me to use as a baseline form.  I'm basing this off of the fact that all materialized spirits do not have Reach 1 while trolls (and their metavariants) and invoked spirits (described as being larger than normal) do have Reach 1.

Vaneheart

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-03-15/0058:54> »
Jebus.  So you really could summon a huge, skyscraper-destroying Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man?
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-03-15/0114:36> »
What kind of Reach modifier would something that huge have?  I know the artwork on Stormfront, page 109, has some really huge spirits but I doubt those are summonable under normal circumstances.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <05-03-15/0258:47> »
I don't recall exactly, but I vaguely remember that significant successes on spirit summonings - or maybe it was just Great Form spirits - could be used to add on powers, including Reach bonuses.  Don't quote me.

However, typical game play puts both a spirit's size at 1' per point of force. A Force 3 spirit would be 3' tall, while a whopping F14 would be 14' tall.  The thing with spirits is that they can (IMO should) have a certain link between their appearance and their power; a Force 3 spirit doesn't have to be 3' tall, it could be 30' tall, but at that great height it's going to look wispy and weak.  Conversely a F14 spirit might be only 4' tall, but it is going to seem more dense, more vibrant, more real that reality around it - practically vibrating with contained power.

Oddly, I feel the same way about matrix icons - the higher the rating, the bigger it can be - or possess a higher resolution.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.