NEWS

SR4A: Layering Form Fitting Armor with itself.

• 3 Replies

Vaneheart

• Newb
« on: <08-15-14/0546:42> »
I apologize if this is something that has already been answered.  I tried searching the forums using things such as "Layering Form Fit," "combine form fitting," and just "Form Fitting Armor" itself, with no applicable results.  It's possible I may have missed something though.

I recently ran a game, and had an individual bring in a Minotaur with a Body attribute of 10, and a ludicrous amount of Form Fitting Full Bodysuits, each having the Gelpacks upgrade.  He had something like, 50 or so ballistic defense dice, and around 36 or so impact defense dice to roll (including cyberware, bioware, and other variables for damage resistance).  These pools were fairly high for a 400 BP character, so I asked him how he pulled it off or was justifying it, and he said that, as written, Form Fitting Armor is only counted for half when combined with other armor, and therefore, would only count as half when stacked with itself, so he could stack on A LOT of form fit, without hitting the 2xBody encumbrance cap.  I asked him to tone it down to just one Form Fit suit, and some regular armor (and some Securetech PPP), and he begrudgingly did so.  However, he did point out that in Lone Wolf Lab's Hero Lab character creation module for SR4A, this is entirely legal.

So I'm asking if this is even remotely legit or not, or possibly a bug I should report to them.  To me it seemed a bit ridiculous.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

cr4kp0t

• Omae
  • The 'Doc' will see you now!
« Reply #1 on: <08-15-14/0610:30> »
So I'm asking if this is even remotely legit or not, or possibly a bug I should report to them.  To me it seemed a bit ridiculous.

Your right it is ridiculous, however your munchkin rules lawyer player is right that it is legit in the strictest reading of the rules as their is no restriction in RAW that prevents layer a series of form fitting armors. However this sort of behavior and flagrant style less bull deserves phone book to a bloody pulp IMO.

On a side note 50 armor with no encumbrance is not that hard to achieve, especially with the broken soft weave from WAR!. I forget the exact thread it started on but i think someone got over 72, these were of course theoretical exercise and no one would have the gall to actually present such a character for play (Unless they liked being phone booked f course).

Which basically bring us back to the first thing that gets mentioned pretty much anytime any GM brings one of these threads to bear...

As the GM you have the ultimate right of Veto for any character, so use it and tell him to tone it down a notch and be more realistic as otherwise it's a game breaker and talk it through with the player.
PbP Legend:
Narrative | Thought | Speech | Matrix | Astral

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-15-14/0618:52> »
The main issue with form-fitting armour is that it is ... Form-fitting.  So if you put two suits over each other, it's not going to be very comfortable as the second suit is not made to worn over anything but the body (and some underwear).  Hence the form-fitting.  Let alone if he tries it with ten or so.  I might let him do it, but then give him huge penalties on everything else since it's uncomfortable.  And if he counters with the fact that he has made the suits so they fit over each other, then it's no longer form-fitting armour and normal rules apply.

Ask a gymnast (should you know someone) to put on two of those form-fitting leotards over each other (which is how I always envisioned the half-suit to look like) and she will probably look at you as if you went insane.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Vaneheart

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-15-14/2232:10> »
Alright, thank you for the advice.  I'll put together a house ruling on it for my games.  Haven't encountered many issues with content from War! yet, as I've restricted it to after character creation at the moment.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper