NEWS

Question on Seattle Shadows

• 7 Replies

Stormdrake

• Newb
« on: <11-23-10/1744:53> »
I remember reading about an alternative to getting jobs from a fixer in Seattle.  The alternative had something to do with a monument to the crash which possibly housed a shadownet jobsite that was controlled by a an AI.  Have I completely lost it or was this in a reference book?  If someone knows what I am talking about could they please post the book and page?
Thank you

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #1 on: <11-23-10/1847:52> »
The Exchange maybe? It's a network of anonymous people who do favors that range from "put a flashlight here" to "leave this door propped open between 1200 and 1215" for "karma" which means favors like that will be done for you or you'll get rewards no money though.

Unwired pg 83, Seattle 2072 pg 191, Runner's Companion pg 130

It's gone through various versions, but my old books are packed away and I'll be running off memory, one added an anonymous chat function.

You could also be thinking of shadow want ads, basically like classified ads from today. I remember something like that too, however I just think it was part of Shadowland or the Nexus that was housed in that monument.     
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-24-10/0545:34> »
I remember reading about an alternative to getting jobs from a fixer in Seattle.  The alternative had something to do with a monument to the crash which possibly housed a shadownet jobsite that was controlled by a an AI.  Have I completely lost it or was this in a reference book?  If someone knows what I am talking about could they please post the book and page?
Thank you

Runner Havens, pg 104.  Mentioned in a post by 'Glitch'.  Not a fixer-alternative, but something that has way more intensive Matrix security than it should need.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to get a mention in Seattle 2072 - I've just been looking.  Fell through the cracks?

Stormdrake

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-24-10/1122:15> »
The Nexus, that was it.  If I remember correctly it was a "want ad" kinda site for shadowrunners but no one knows who is really running it.  Your right though, no mention in Seattle 2072.  
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/1129:04> by Stormdrake »

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #4 on: <11-24-10/1423:06> »
Alternates to jobs from fixers?  I've always been pretty lose on that convention.  I generally have most of the solid, well-paying jobs come through a fixer.  But I throw out plenty of other ones throw the characters' various other contacts.  It just made sense to me.  If your arms dealer contact needs a little "assistance" why would he go through a fixer middle man when he can just call you on the phone?  Or link or whatever.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-25-10/0516:33> »
The Nexus, that was it.  If I remember correctly it was a "want ad" kinda site for shadowrunners but no one knows who is really running it.  Your right though, no mention in Seattle 2072.  

I don't think it's called the Nexus - that's another name for the Denver Data Haven.

What you're talking sounds more like something mentioned in a sidebar (white text, black background) in Unwired or Runner's Companion.  The sort of thing that was maybe a plot seed.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #6 on: <01-10-11/0502:20> »
I thiink it was mentioned in Ghost Cartels...letmesee... Yes. Exchange. Ghost Cartels p. 20

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-10-11/0923:23> »
It's also a virtual contact in the Runner's Companion.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile