NEWS

Question on Pets....

• 5 Replies

Tenh

« on: <05-29-12/1940:43> »
Ok, so in a not-to-be-named-to-avoid-spoilers mission from a previous season, we ran into a little encounter where there were Hell Hounds being set upon us.  Having a nice Intuition as I do, the GM running the table let me try to use a defaulted Animal Handling and Training to see if I could convince the pet to come with me....as I rolled REALLY well, she let me.

That being said, I am curious as to the official Missions take on having pets in play.  According to Running Wild, Hell Hounds are a restricted (not forbidden) animal type that requires a license.  I have purchased a license (and have an appropriate lifestyle).

Last year when I tried to bring him along on a run, pretty much the entire table cried foul!  As a result I haven't used him since, however I'm just curious what the real SRM policy is on pets and bringing them along.  I have invested in all the appropriate skills (namely the Animal Husbandry group) to use and train him, as well as all the required licenses....?

If they are legit, what are the rules for training/advancing the critter's skills?  While there are rules in Running Wild, it is an opposed check - would the GM at a current table roll that, or would it be my skill's bought hits vs. the critter's willpower bought hits?

Thanks!!

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-29-12/2134:47> »
Critter training is AFAIK legal. You'd need to buy hits per Running Wild's rules (and remember the -1 per retry on extended tests rules is always used in missions), and pay your Lifestyle for any time spent training.

I can tell you how I would run the hellhound and legality at my table - I would treat having a hellhound with you to be equivalent to having a (Restricted, like an AK-97) assault rifle with you. If you are walking down the street with the hellhound walking with you, that's like walking down the street with an assault rifle drawn. If you have a hellhound in your truck, and Lone Star looks in your truck, and they see the hellhound and you show them your license, that's like if they found an AK-97 in your truck and you showed them your assault rifle license. Certainly if you're doing the sort of thing where running around with an assault rifle would make sense (like assaulting a compound, say, or in a place like a barrens where running around with an assault rifle out is socially acceptable), I wouldn't screw with you for bringing along a hellhound. If you tried to bring a hellhound with you on the streets of an upscale area, you'd probably have trouble.

Tenh

« Reply #2 on: <05-29-12/2154:51> »
Umaro - appreciate the reply....that's kind of how I figured it - it'd grab some attention if just walking around Seattle, but might be handy to have on the business end of a run.

One question though - per Running Wild, in order to increase the critter's active skills, you need an opposed test Animal Training vs. critter's Willpower...how do you account for their roll?  Also bought hits?

Thanks!

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-29-12/2206:27> »
That's correct; binding checks (for example) work the same way. A couple notes:

Remember that "at the GM's discretion" for things like this translates to "no" in missions. So for example, since learning new skills is GM discretion, you can't teach it new skills (increasing skills it already has is fine). I'm not as familiar with RW as some of the other books so I'm not sure what exactly is and isn't optional/GM's option, but keep an eye on that when reading the rules.

When making the training test, note that your test suffers the -1 per retry on extended tests, but the critter's opposed Willpower test isn't an extended test for it, so it doesn't.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <05-30-12/0137:17> »
Good, I want my Ásatrú Magician with his Cyberwolf!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Tenh

« Reply #5 on: <05-30-12/1747:12> »
Thanks again, never played a character who tried to bind, so never looked into that rule for Missions.

I don't have RW in front of me, but I believe you are correct - adding a new skill is GM's discretion, but increasing a skill to natural rank * 1.5 is not....

Spent some good karma on those Animal Husbandry skills (and some nuyen on the licenses ;) )....glad I'll be able to use it!