NEWS

Introductory Box Release Date

• 84 Replies

martinchaen

« Reply #45 on: <12-16-13/1036:33> »
Gah, not cool releasing new info on Facebook for those of us who refuse to partake in social media. I would've thought that was what the tumbler site was for...

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <12-16-13/1341:37> »
;)

In fairness, it was a reply to a question rather than a formal "release". That being said, most updates seem to come via FB/Twitter/Tumblr first...it does filter out via other medium, but just takes a little more time.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <12-16-13/1648:47> »
Gah, not cool releasing new info on Facebook for those of us who refuse to partake in social media. I would've thought that was what the tumbler site was for...

I repost blog posts from shadowrun.com, the shadowrun tabletop blog, the CGL/Harebrained/Cliffhanger twitter accounts, and the SR/SRM facebook accounts. But as AJ said, it's not quite an official info release. But I've been too busy to check FB.

martinchaen

« Reply #48 on: <12-16-13/1811:13> »
Coolio; it'd be nice if all the info coming out of Catalyst came out of one official source is all I'm saying, not scattered across three to six websites and social media outlets.

Minor complaint though, as I manage to catch most info in a reasonable timeframe. That and I have a subscription at drivethrurpg. I did miss the original window on the Shadowrun Online kickstarter, but it's all good.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <12-17-13/0356:31> »
Generally speaking, any official word on SR5 does appear on shadowruntabletop.com/blog.  It just doesn't always appear there first, but it does appear there.

But I also make a pretty good effort when I have time to ensure that anything official related to Shadowrun, whichever property, is posted to the tumblr. When they let me start the Shadowrun tumblr, they gave me dispensation to post whatever I want so long as I don't break my NDA. Given the whole Year of Shadowrun, I've also been covering all of the properties—SR Returns, Online, Sprawl Gangers, Crossfire, etc.—however I see fit. Plus the constant positive coverage of SR:R helps draw traffic to the tumblr from people who can then get into the game. But that's all at my discretion. It helps that there's also now an official CGL tumblr.

For the most part, you don't have to worry about it. If it's not on shadowruntabletop.com/blog or shadowrun.tumblr.com it's not official and it's almost certainly discretionary like references to the development process for different products and while it's official insofar as it is something stated by an official representative of CGL, it's not "for official release" like street date announcements.

As it happens, what I know that has been mentioned publicly somewhere or another is that there are movements on the Intro Box Set, on a box set for BT that I forgot they're also doing, Crossfire, and a couple of products like Run & Gun.

Then there's also stuff that hasn't been mentioned. There's the stuff that can be inferred as in-progress but where official word has been silent of late like the errata/FAQ, Sprawl Gangers, the novels/fiction, and ebooks ranging from enhanced fiction to the Shadows in Focus series that I guess is official now that it's been mentioned in the Jackpoint page for Coyotes and Gun Heaven 3.

There's stuff that hasn't been mentioned officially but can be inferred from common sense: core supplements.

There's the stuff that's known to CGL and its partners and to freelancers that we can't mention.

And finally there's stuff that's only known in-house at CGL (which basically means Randall, Jason, and maybe a few other people).

Even the stuff I post about on the tumblr can end up not happening or change (maybe significantly). Just the fact that sell sheets for retailers can differ from what is final is further proof that is how it is.

Which is all a long way of saying that there are many reasons why they don't make major announcements until pretty much they are certain that a product will be sold. If it's not on shadowruntabletop.com/blog it's just not that important for you all to know because there's nothing you can do about it anyway. If it is, it generally means that you can buy it. And that's that. It is a business after all.

martinchaen

« Reply #50 on: <12-17-13/0853:36> »
Crimsondude Thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly; very much appreciated :)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <12-17-13/1254:31> »
Pretty big update:
Shadowrun Introductory Box Set: Now Splitting Into 2 Great Box Sets!

Long and short, they're going to release two box sets instead of one; release dates for both have been pushed back to April 2014.
Beginner Box Set Sell Sheet
Runner's Toolkit Alphaware Sell Sheet

Kind of mixed emotions on this one...not sure why we need two introductory versions of the rules (different one for each box)...$60 seems "high" for the Alphaware box, but will have to wait and see.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #52 on: <12-17-13/1258:49> »
Forgot to note the following (bold by me):

I’ll continue to share additional details on those box sets in the coming weeks. Additionally, we’ll be releasing a “Shadowrun Tools Digital Box” that combines both of these print boxes into a single great set of electronic tools for players, for sale in the near future.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <12-17-13/1327:49> »
Crimsondude Thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly; very much appreciated :)
Thanks.

It's been weird posting here knowing about the change to the box set, which is one reason for the delay, but again not being able to say anything.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <12-17-13/1330:19> »
That does explain things somewhat... ;)

martinchaen

« Reply #55 on: <12-17-13/1331:13> »
YES! Electronic versions are highly appreciated...

To be honest, the only things I'd want from the Beginners box set is the 24-page primer and the adventure book to run new players through; everything else I could give or take.

Definitely getting the digital version, so best of both worlds, I guess...

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <12-17-13/1415:48> »
It's been weird posting here knowing about the change to the box set, which is one reason for the delay, but again not being able to say anything.

Welcome to my world.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <12-19-13/0915:37> »
@PeterSmith and/or Crimsondude - can you guys confirm if the cards being provided in the Alphaware box are new/different from those recently released back in Nov?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #58 on: <12-19-13/1755:30> »
I have no idea.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <12-19-13/1929:08> »
Fair enough - appreciate the answer ;)