NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Errata

• 560 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #390 on: <04-12-16/0023:15> »
Oh you're totally right, I can't believe I missed that. I was looking everywhere for it.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #391 on: <10-02-16/0143:05> »
Probably already asked, but can we clarify if power foci increase your effective rating for purposes of physical or stun drain?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #392 on: <10-02-16/1100:34> »
Probably already asked, but can we clarify if power foci increase your effective rating for purposes of physical or stun drain?
Definitely on the list.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #393 on: <10-02-16/2015:36> »
Definitely on the list.

Awesome, thanks.  I don't have too much of a position on it, just it's a huge power swing and I've seen different places rate it different ways. 

I guess it's worth asking what the scope of the changes you are making, are?  I would totally understand keeping it to small, obvious typos or omissions that could be changed with one line or two.  Indeed, that's what errata usually is.  But you've seemed willing to tackle slightly larger things.  I'm thinking things like what Bamce was talking about with Alchemy, where it's just not that useful at the moment.  There's a good number of things like that, that would be less "debugging typos" than "rewriting slightly after play-testing"

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #394 on: <10-02-16/2213:07> »
We haven't shied away from bigger things. That trend will likely continue.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

demion

• Newb
« Reply #395 on: <10-03-16/0445:45> »
I dont't think there will ever be an official errata other then the ultra-mini-version that already exists. The errors in SR5 are huge and would need serious rework - what will never happen. So you can only stick to houseruling all the problematic stuff.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #396 on: <10-03-16/1124:58> »
You realize there is an entire Errata team now, right demion?  Patrick here has been a saint (definitely not a SINner) and helped organize it and get it greenlit by Catalyst.

That said, we've been working on the Errata properly for only about a month now, so there isn't a lot we've gotten nailed down and approved. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

demion

• Newb
« Reply #397 on: <10-03-16/1417:17> »
My apologies! I didn't notice that and really appreciate your efforts. I wish you good luck and it's a pity that it's way too late for our group (we've already houseruled a loooot because its just necessary;)

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #398 on: <10-03-16/2229:10> »
Don;t know if any one else has asked this already but will anything in the core rule book be errataed to bring them in line with supplments? For example in Rigger 5.0 drones are only able to run autosofts with a rating equal to or less then their pilot rating. that might be something to add to the core book(along with the costs for autosofts)

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #399 on: <10-13-16/1243:45> »
Patrick, something just occurred to me:  it says all cyberlimbs start with agi and str of 3. Shouldn't that be metatype dependent?  It's particularly weird in the case of Trolls, who can't even be str 3 normally. Not really trying to open a whole can of worms (obviously, different meta types would usually have different capacities, and I get why it's better to ignore that), just it seems particularly weird in the troll case. (It's a huge arm, it would be stronger without getting fancy). Even if there was a rule mandating that tolls buy the stats up to minimums I think that would solve it. (Troll arms that are twice as big are more expensive, naturally)

I always kinda figured there'd be an "advanced" rule section on cyberlimbs. Clear some things up, give a purpose to cyber torsos (like have them affect limits) all that. It never came. 

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #400 on: <10-13-16/1337:57> »
I don't know about others, but I definitely intend on bringing up cyberlimbs as a whole. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #401 on: <10-13-16/1500:14> »

I don't know about others, but I definitely intend on bringing up cyberlimbs as a whole.

That's good to hear.  The system currently works but it's weird. 

Thought about it a little more.  Was thinking about how it feels like metatypes have to pay more for them.  ANd then, how when I'm building a relatively high stat character, it feels like cyberarms often start at a disadvantage, like I have to at least "buy them up to" what the characters stats are, and then of course you might as well max them,  It's a weird process.  In practice when I want a guy with a cyberlimb for thematic reasons -- cyberarms are cool, they put the "cyber" in cyber punk.  They're places to store cool shit, etc. -- I wind up actually lowering the main physical stats.  So I don't get "ripped off".  Which is weird, but I have a suspicion I'm one among many.

Why don't cyberlimbs just start at your normal (unaugmented) stats?  I Imagine if that were the case, a lot more people would get them and leave them un-boosted, too, so you'd have fewer questions of "what str and agi can I use for this test, again?".  WHen you can use the agi 9 for most things it feels cheesy and when you can't it feels like a rip off cuz your normal stats ain't great.  Complicated, too.  Less of that would be good, I think. 

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #402 on: <10-13-16/1750:58> »
I've seen this argument come up before, although oddly never during 4th edition's reign (which used a nearly identical system, except not all limbs were customizable, some just stayed 3/3).

The way I see it, cyberlimbs are machines. They are made up of motors and gyros (to simplify). The motors affect Str, and the gyros Agi. If you want stronger motors (more Str) it costs more money. Likewise, if you want more precise gyros (more Agi) it also costs more money.

Why wold a Str 5 / Agi 5 arm cost different amounts for different people? It is the same equipment, so everyone pays the same price. Yes, this can mean it might not be as advantageous for characters that already have high attributes. But there are still other reasons to have good Physical Stats (like Limits), so those characters who are just trying to shortcut with cyberlimbs don't get everything.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #403 on: <10-13-16/1816:38> »
Why wold a Str 5 / Agi 5 arm cost different amounts for different people? It is the same equipment
Is it, though? In-setting, cyber limbs obviously differ between metatypes. If you doubt that, then I'd like to see your list of troll characters with dwarf cyberlimbs, or vice versa.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #404 on: <10-13-16/1831:57> »
I've seen this argument come up before, although oddly never during 4th edition's reign (which used a nearly identical system, except not all limbs were customizable, some just stayed 3/3).

The way I see it, cyberlimbs are machines. They are made up of motors and gyros (to simplify). The motors affect Str, and the gyros Agi. If you want stronger motors (more Str) it costs more money. Likewise, if you want more precise gyros (more Agi) it also costs more money.

Why wold a Str 5 / Agi 5 arm cost different amounts for different people? It is the same equipment, so everyone pays the same price. Yes, this can mean it might not be as advantageous for characters that already have high attributes. But there are still other reasons to have good Physical Stats (like Limits), so those characters who are just trying to shortcut with cyberlimbs don't get everything.

Well part of what you are paying for is just the customization (or at least that should be part of the cost) so having more than one base limb to choose from that have different base attributes should be a standard thing.  Otherwise they should be having just one base gun, one base deck, one base car, etc. and make the customer pay to customize it from there.  Instead we get lots of base models and still get to customize all that stuff to a greater or lesser extent.  That's my two cents.