NEWS

{SR5} TechnoMancer Child Prodigy Overwatch character, need input.

• 17 Replies

Jhtpo

• Newb
« on: <02-21-17/1259:46> »
Allright, so first SR character and I'm being stupid by diving into a TM. Save your warnings, I'm dealing with it.

My goal with this character is that he is a young Elf TM Prodigy. Poised to become one of the legends around the Matrix, A dark Specter that guides across the data streams like a reaper searching for its next target, a story deckers tell each other to boost their firewalls, and cause Riggers to Perception check their gear twice before taking it off the ground. Commanding a horde of Minions to aid in his bidding, to see him in your host is to consider switching to AR, just incase...

But for right now, he's Barely an adult. Jailed when young for accessing something he shouldn't have, he escaped being shot in some back ally once they realized what he was, mostly thanks to too many witnesses, and dumb luck. He's living with a Criminal SIN while he tries to get himself back on his feet, taking small jobs on the side while appeasing his dirty as fuck case officer. He'll probably have to go dark sooner than later, but for now he'll try his best to live two lives.

I plan on playing him in an Over watch Role. Opening doors, cutting cameras, their eyes and ears from the Van around the corner, if not from across town.
I'm the only Tech(Hack)-focused member of the team.
He's got the Physical stats of a 12 year old girl, I'm adjusting to that.
I'm NOT looking for a Stupidly optimized build, just 'Don't die' ideas or suggestions.
I'm looking for clarification on a few things.

My GM (Also new to SR), and party (Most new to SR) are all working off the SR5 core book, and only that. How vital is it, that I look into Decker and Tech related supplimentals?

If a device is on a host, Can I get direct access to the device Via a Datajack, using it as a makeshift Wireless Access Point, so I can have my Killbot of a Sammi place the datajack on stuff I cant access directly?
 Do I need to have it connected via a Commlink to work properly?
Does that Commlink bottleneck my limits and Complex Forms if its a cheap throwaway box?

Can I use Puppeteer to make a Camera give me three marks, and does that mean I have three marks on the Host the easy way? Does that mean I have three marks on anything attached to the Host?

Sooo many guides are on deckers, so few on effectivly using Complex Forms and Sprites.
Any tips, tricks, or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going with Exceptional Attribute Resonance 7, That is one of the major key points to this character, so just keep that in mind.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-17/1407:56> »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-17/1459:33> »

My GM (Also new to SR), and party (Most new to SR) are all working off the SR5 core book, and only that. How vital is it, that I look into Decker and Tech related supplimentals?

Minimal, there is very little new Technomancer supplements out there right now.  Technomancer book is coming out maybe this year, maybe next.

If a device is on a host, Can I get direct access to the device Via a Datajack, using it as a makeshift Wireless Access Point, so I can have my Killbot of a Sammi place the datajack on stuff I cant access directly?

Up to the GM as to how to Handwaive Direct Access for a Technomancer.  My advice is to just Submerge ASAP and get Skinlink and carry on.

Do I need to have it connected via a Commlink to work properly?

Define "it".  Direct Access?  Up to the GM.  General Technomancy?  A Persona formed from a Device can't perform Resonance Actions (no Complex Forms, Compiling, Registering, Ordering Sprites, ect).  Only a Technomancers Living Persona can perform those actions.

Does that Commlink bottleneck my limits and Complex Forms if its a cheap throwaway box?

See above.

Can I use Puppeteer to make a Camera give me three marks, and does that mean I have three marks on the Host the easy way? Does that mean I have three marks on anything attached to the Host?

Yes, no, no.  Yes you can Puppeteer a Device connected to a Host.  The Device *should* get the Hosts Firewall though, your GM's mileage may vary.  Marks on a slaved device get you marks on the Master, but Marks on a Master do not get you Marks on Slaved Devices.

You've got the link already on my thoughts on "How to Technomancer".  Have fun, feel free to post a build or a partial if you want more detailed feed back!

Jhtpo

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-21-17/1524:55> »
Thanks! I've reread that several times already and its given me great insight on the subject! Yeah, I'm working out a few of the serious details, but I'm arguing with myself over balancing character story reasons for things, and optimization.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-21-17/2115:48> »
Supplements: 
Not much for technos, but arguebly important things. 
In Data Trails, there are the two great echoes for a such an up and coming legendary technomancer: Skinlink and FFF. Skinlink gives you direct connections to devices through touch (as technomancers have no other obviously legal way to direct connection hack things with their living persona). FFF mimics the effects of a Pain Editor (a pricey/difficult to aquire/forbidden bioware) - allowing technomancers to not suffer wound penalties when active, letting them thread complex forms more freely. There is a quality called Otaku to Technomancer that gives +2 Fade Resistance, which can be nice for threading/sprite heavy technos.     
In Chrome Flesh: If using hacking skills (not complex forms), there is a piece of 'ware called Narco which gives +1 to attributes of drugs that give boosts to attributes, as well as a boost to resistance to addiction tests to drugs that you are mildly addicted to. As essence is valuable to technomancers, drugs are often a way to get bonuses, and drugs that affect mental attributes have the dual effect of increasing matrix limits (your mental attributes double as matrix attributes) and skill tests that use them. Ex. Psyche usually gives +1 to Intuition and Logic. With Narco, it gives +2 to to Intuition and Logic. 

Direct Connections: 
This is still unresolved on shadowrun. If you have a datajack that you pay for with essence, a case can be made that it can be used to direct connect your living persona to a device. (I don't allow it, but many GMs do. However, if you are only using Core and don't have access to skinlink, then I would allow it). You can't directly connect to a device through someone else's datajack. Remember that you might have some explaining to do if folks see you stick your datajack directly into a device to hack it (you might have to lie and say you have an implanted cyberdeck or something).   
So without Skinlink, technomancers do a lot of wireless hacking (which is difficult). For devices that aren't wirelessly active, someone can put a datatap into it in order to give it wireless access. 

Commlinks: 
Technomancers should still carry commlinks, but you cannot form a persona through one and also use your living persona (which you need to make sprites, thread complex forms, and use your mental stats as matrix attributes).  There is an echo in data trails that lets you do limited resonance-y things when forming a persona through a commlink/deck, but if you are not using supplements, I wouldn't worry about it .

Puppeteering Invite Marks: 
I allow this, as it is the only resonance-y way to get access to a host. If a device is slaved to a host, and you puppeteer the device to invite three marks, you would get three marks on the device and on the host. Not everyone allows this, believing only "hacked" marks on slaved devices give you marks on a host (invited marks don't count).  Remember, Puppeteering can be quite difficult, you need two net hits to succeed in this, and the device would be defending with the benefit of being slaved to a host (much more defense dice). My strategy here would be to use registered sprites to aid complex forms (giving your their level in dicepool bonus to your complex form test), and often pre-edge this test at level 1. This will keep the Fade low, add some dice, and get rid of limits. Puppeteering invite marks will likely need hits to exceed your Resonance and you will likely be taking physical fade. Keeping that Fade low keeps you in action with fewer wound penalties (they add up fast for thready technomancers).

I used to think that having marks on a host gives you marks on everything that it is connected to, but I I think I was actually mistaken. Being in a host does give you direct connection to devices attached to that host. So you can't get those three marks on a host, and then just start opening doors, turning off camera, muting security siren/etc. What it does do is let you hack those systems much easier (they defend as if you are directly connected) to get marks on them easier.  Though I think it makes more sense and streamlines the matrix if marks on a host count as marks on all devices slaved to it.   
« Last Edit: <02-21-17/2126:33> by FST_Gemstar »

Jhtpo

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-21-17/2315:32> »
Ok, so I'll get a Datatap to have my Sammi plug into stuff like terminals to get me a Wireless Access Point into a device that I can try and Mark the device (That has the Host security), that'll give me a Host mark, and from there I'm allowed to Enter the Host and have what is effectivly a 'Direct Connection' status to all devices slaved to the Host like cameras, doors, alarm systems, Ect? These will be WITHOUT the host's protection, cause I'm already in, right?

I understand not being able to use the Commlink persona AS my matrix signature (With intent to Resonance), but could I use it as an access point to operate -through-? Like if my Sammi's comlink was Direct attached to a Doorlock that had wireless off, but now has a wireless enabled Commlink, can I Resonance Persona through the Comm's wireless into a direct connection, or am I considered running wireless with all noise penalties, but am I still able to act on the connected device, such as defuse Firewall to make my crack through the Host iteself easier.

Could I order a high level Crack Sprite to sit on the Sammi's comlink, and interface with the Door lock once Direct Connected to place a Mark, meaning there is a mark on the device and now the host from the Sprite, and a second task to make the Sprite Spoof a 'Turn Wireless on' request to give me an Access point that way?

Puppeteer is very powerful in that it Forces a Matrix Action, and that much I've gathered. Jackout, Reboot, check OS score, Ect,
But can Resonance Veil be used in a similar manner to make the device think what's happened was a legitimate request for access, or a legitimate command given? "You have recieved a Reformat request" "you are looking at a Valid SIN" "You have recieved a Valid cash Withdraw Request" "This file has received the correct password"
Possible to Abuse to Hell, but I just wanna see if I'm missing any serious RAW that wouldn't work here.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <02-22-17/0043:03> »
Does Skinlink allow you to bypass a Host's Firewall when you establish a direct connect with a device slaved to it?

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-22-17/0422:05> »
Resonance Veil : Really depends on how your GM sees that CF. One of the GM I had when I tried to play TM said it would only allow you to trigger specific alarms (such as : make someone think there are 3 unauthorized marks on him, or that a device slaved to him as been destroyed, etc.), which really limited the possibilities. But we are talking about the same GM who saw Diagnostic and said "this only works if you are doing a hardware check, else it's just useless", so that's kind of an extreme.
As far as I understand the thing, touching a device with Skinlink has the same effect as if a decker had trodes connected between the devices circuit and his cyberdeck. So yes, in the case of a device slaved in a Pan-Wan, you do bypass the Host/master's firewall and directly hit on the device.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-22-17/0743:26> »
Since you're all new, in case you weren't aware, the "Fading" values for most Complex Forms have been lowered by errata (so you don't pass out after using two of them  ::))
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=24595.msg467945#msg467945

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-22-17/1143:06> »
Does Skinlink allow you to bypass a Host's Firewall when you establish a direct connect with a device slaved to it?

Skinlink should give you Direct Access to the device just like a Decker plugging in with a Datajack so, yes it should bypass a hosts firewall.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-22-17/1144:29> »
If there's any air gap (and it sounds like there is one in your sam/datatap plan), you can't use direct connection, hence the importance of getting skinlink asap for a TM.  You're correct about the second part--once you're in a host, you're directly connected to other slaved devices, but you don't get free marks on any of them.  Getting marks is semi-trivial at that point because of the direct connection, but it takes time.  Luckily, TMs are essentially immune to IC, so you have a lot more time to play with vs. a decker.

Ok, so I'll get a Datatap to have my Sammi plug into stuff like terminals to get me a Wireless Access Point into a device that I can try and Mark the device (That has the Host security), that'll give me a Host mark, and from there I'm allowed to Enter the Host and have what is effectivly a 'Direct Connection' status to all devices slaved to the Host like cameras, doors, alarm systems, Ect? These will be WITHOUT the host's protection, cause I'm already in, right?

I understand not being able to use the Commlink persona AS my matrix signature (With intent to Resonance), but could I use it as an access point to operate -through-? Like if my Sammi's comlink was Direct attached to a Doorlock that had wireless off, but now has a wireless enabled Commlink, can I Resonance Persona through the Comm's wireless into a direct connection, or am I considered running wireless with all noise penalties, but am I still able to act on the connected device, such as defuse Firewall to make my crack through the Host iteself easier.

Could I order a high level Crack Sprite to sit on the Sammi's comlink, and interface with the Door lock once Direct Connected to place a Mark, meaning there is a mark on the device and now the host from the Sprite, and a second task to make the Sprite Spoof a 'Turn Wireless on' request to give me an Access point that way?

Puppeteer is very powerful in that it Forces a Matrix Action, and that much I've gathered. Jackout, Reboot, check OS score, Ect,
But can Resonance Veil be used in a similar manner to make the device think what's happened was a legitimate request for access, or a legitimate command given? "You have recieved a Reformat request" "you are looking at a Valid SIN" "You have recieved a Valid cash Withdraw Request" "This file has received the correct password"
Possible to Abuse to Hell, but I just wanna see if I'm missing any serious RAW that wouldn't work here.

Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Jhtpo

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-22-17/1239:16> »
Could you Explain a bit about 'Essentially immune to IC"?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-22-17/1352:52> »
Sprite Power Suppression is step one.  The assorted Complex Forms that remove Overwatch Score is step two.  The fact that a lot of what you're doing as a Technomancer doesn't alert the Target is step three.  Technomancers are like modern day military drones, they just linger at the target for hours.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-22-17/1353:30> »
Could you Explain a bit about 'Essentially immune to IC"?

The basic walk-through (and a few other nifty tricks) is in this thread

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=21487.0
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-24-17/1214:48> »
Datataps: 

If a device has a connection to the wireless matrix (nearly all do), you don't need to put a datatap into it to wireless hack it. A datatap is useful on a closed circuit device (running wireless off) in order to force access. It is also useful to get wireless access to a device from "wires" that may be in less difficult to reach or behind less noise penalties. This is a pretty odd description of use, but, if somehow devices in a building are powered through a generator outside the building, and they are connected to each other, you could perhaps tap the the generator to get wireless access to the device inside. 

Resonance Veil: 
Please don't use Resonance Veil in place of more clearly defined abilities, particularly puppeteer level stuff. Err on the side, if this can be done with something else, it should be done with that and not Resonance Veil. Resonance Veil, to me, is more like an illusion spell that happens on the matrix. It can fool matrixy things (IC, personas of security spiders), mostly it is to fool people (personas are just mostly people interacting on the matrix). In another way, it is not to trick a device into doing something that would require a matrix action, but to trick people who rely on the security/trustworthiness of their equipment by messing with a device or persona. Ex. You are in the barrens and you are trying to bluff your way past a gang, so you threaten them with a drone sniper hidden away that don't actually have. They don't believe you, but you tell them to check. You can Resonance their leader's commlink to show an encroaching icon of sniper drone moving into matrix perceptible perceptible range, before abruptly going silent. This may help you scare them out of your way. Or, you got your mcguffin from a secure facility, but security has been alerted to your team's presence, and doors are locking down on your escape. You can resonance veil some brute force hacking of a maglock on the other side of the building (instead of actually hacking it-avoiding damage) to trick matrix security to send their physical security to that side of the building, giving you a bit more time to do some more sly hacking/lockpicking/puppeteering to open the doors and get out on your side of the building without having to fire bullets (or as many).