NEWS

Question from a newbie

• 5 Replies

Darthvegeta800

• Newb
  • "Noblesse Obliges"
« on: <05-27-16/1241:36> »
Greetings all, I'm a newcomer on the forum.

Currently I'm playing an Anima campaign but it should end in probably a few months. Probably around october. After that we'll switch to Shadowrun.
I am actually somewhat familiar with the setting but of course I have yet to purchase the current line of rulebooks.

The core rulebook is a given. But I was wondering... I plan to play a sort of ex SWAT type that got discharged and employs equipment similar to those used by SWAT. (Shadowrun variant)
Besides the typicals I was wondering if more exotic or bizarre weapons like a riot shield and perhaps some other tools of the trade are in the core book or if i need to get the equipment book to get that sort of things.

Also I saw there was a general expansion book 'run faster'. How useful is it? How 'necessary'? Are there some things in there that would go well for someone with a background in law enforcement or is the core rulebook good enough?

Thanks for any feedback!

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <05-27-16/1251:57> »
Run & Gun has the actual SWAT armor, some good weapons, and a bunch of called shot and combat rules.  I suggest it.

Run Faster has a bunch of qualities of variable value to you.  It isn't a necessity, but it is still a decent book.

Chrome Flesh has 'ware, although the book's index is unenviable and it makes the entire thing difficult to search through.

Run & Gun and the Core are the only ones you'd need for your build, I think.  Run Faster and Chrome Flesh would be good additions when you find the cash (or buy them as a group to split costs, always helps). 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Darthvegeta800

• Newb
  • "Noblesse Obliges"
« Reply #2 on: <05-27-16/1259:37> »
Many thanks!!!!!

I think i'll just pick up those 2 books. :)

EDIT: apologies extra question: Arsenal does not contain the run and gun stuff? It doesn't have these weapons?
« Last Edit: <05-27-16/1307:06> by Darthvegeta800 »

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #3 on: <05-27-16/1310:51> »
Arsenal is 4th Edition, not 5th. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Darthvegeta800

• Newb
  • "Noblesse Obliges"
« Reply #4 on: <05-27-16/1315:56> »
Thanks for pointing that out.
I never even noticed the previous edition was up too.
Thanks!

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #5 on: <05-27-16/1316:46> »
Ex newb... hopefully. Nice to see someone else with the ex cop concept! I bet mine is much more unusual though. I don't know much about the lore as the others but I know that Run and Gun has Riot armor and a shield. If you want to have a cybered character chrome flesh is good. If your an adept then Street Grimiore has a ton of additional powers and the Adept ways. Core barely scratches the surface of Adepts. Let me know how your character turns out!
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych