NEWS

RFIDs

• 47 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <09-15-12/1401:16> »
Actually, guys, the discussion is kinda moot.

There's already a spell in Street Magic called "Pulse"... and, yes, it's Manipulation... that creates an EMP blast that specifically state it'll short out RFID tags and other non-optical circuits. Just have to beat their Object Resistance.

I would assume Hardening adds to the OR for this, but that's just my interpretation.
Seems the others ran right past this one, JAD.

Ah, well.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <09-15-12/1424:23> »
Right, so running a scanner over several frequencies (Takes maybe a couple hours to go through them, and you don't even have to be present if you got a sprite or agent) and pinging them all that way would EVENTUALLY identify them all and you could get to deprogramming them. Right?
There's a nearly infinite number of possible radio frequencies, and an astronomical number of possible code sequences even if you knew how many digits it was. It could well take you longer than the lifespan of the universe to find the right combination of the two to activate the tags.

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #32 on: <09-15-12/2005:44> »
You can't stop the signal!
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #33 on: <09-16-12/0047:08> »
Guy killed me, Mal. He killed me with a sword. How weird is that?
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #34 on: <09-16-12/0055:09> »
Guy killed me, Mal. He killed me with a sword. How weird is that?
"Not very, the guy was a street samurai.  What did you expect, a Neil The Orc Barbarian Commemorative Axe?"

Sorry, had to bring this back on topic somehow.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <09-16-12/0057:39> »
at least it wasn't a conan replica blade, "now available with REAL ATLANTEAN COMBAT FOCI!!!"
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #36 on: <09-16-12/1232:25> »
at least it wasn't a conan replica blade, "now available with REAL ATLANTEAN COMBAT FOCI!!!"
Actually, that'd be five-kinds of awesome if they're real Foci!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <09-16-12/2323:54> »
at least it wasn't a conan replica blade, "now available with REAL 'ATLANTEAN COMBAT' FOCI!!!"
Actually, that'd be five-kinds of awesome if they're real Foci!

be even better if it came with NO RFID tags!!

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #38 on: <09-16-12/2345:50> »
Important thing to remember: security RFID tags (I'm not sure about stealth tags) are immune to tag erasers.  :3
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #39 on: <09-17-12/0038:19> »
Important thing to remember: security RFID tags (I'm not sure about stealth tags) are immune to tag erasers.  :3

Doesn't say anything about spells.....

(and in my opinion that immunity to Tag erasers is bullshit. RFIDs are retardedly annoying to use in game enough, there's no need to make it worse.)
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <09-17-12/1008:14> »
...and in my opinion that immunity to Tag erasers is bullshit. RFIDs are retardedly annoying to use in game enough, there's no need to make it worse.

Agreed. A secure RFID still has to operate in a challenge/response system. You amp up the signal on the challenge side high enough and you'll burn out the tag.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #41 on: <09-17-12/1154:55> »
...and in my opinion that immunity to Tag erasers is bullshit. RFIDs are retardedly annoying to use in game enough, there's no need to make it worse.

Agreed. A secure RFID still has to operate in a challenge/response system. You amp up the signal on the challenge side high enough and you'll burn out the tag.

Ditto on the agreement.

Personally, I read the fluff of it as a standard Tag Eraser not having enough "juice" to burn out the hardened circuits. A HERF gun, or a strong enough the Pulse spell should get the job done just fine.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <09-17-12/1157:35> »
Personally, I read the fluff of it as a standard Tag Eraser not having enough "juice" to burn out the hardened circuits.

Not a bad approach.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <09-17-12/1301:08> »

Ditto on the agreement.

Personally, I read the fluff of it as a standard Tag Eraser not having enough "juice" to burn out the hardened circuits. A HERF gun, or a strong enough the Pulse spell should get the job done just fine.
If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."