NEWS

Matrix Programs.

• 7 Replies

Yogi

• Omae
« on: <04-23-12/1444:24> »
Do all matrix programs come registered.   The Chummer program puts registration on each program you purchase.   I know that programs will degrade over time if they aren't registered.  I also know that if they aren't registered it makes it easier to wipe away traced of any matirx work the hacker (me) has to do in a node. 

So is it worth it to go unregistered and have to upkeep your programs or just make them registered?
Thoughts
Speaking
Comlink

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-23-12/1508:28> »
you have to mark them hacked somewhere I think.

As for what you should get registered or not, that's up to you.  I would say all the regular programs (analyse, browse, edit,...) buy them registered.  They're not illegal, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.  As for the hacking programs, it depends.  As the rolls to patch them have an interval of 1 week, you can only patch 4 programs per month yourself.  So if you want to have them all not registered, get a warez group contact so you have help with the patching (each person takes 1 or 2 programs, which should be doable).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-23-12/2153:48> »
By default all programs come with copy potection and registration you have to remove them. (or pay to have them removed.) In play you can search for sorceus of hacked programs, and buy them without it but risk malware.

Phoenix8008

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-13-12/0641:26> »
I see in Chummer you can make a program 'hacked' when you are buying it and get it for 10% of the normal cost (600 nuyen instead of 6,000). Where in the books is this cost savings listed?

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-13-12/0651:33> »
Unwired,

Also there are Open Source Programs so generally you could buy a Browse 6 and search a couple of Hourse for all the Open Source Programs you need.
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-14-12/1456:42> »
One thing to watch out for on open source programs outside of character creation is the chance that the pirated programs can have bugs, defects, or trojans and viruses in them.  If you have pirated programs at chargen it makes it less likely that the GM will slap on negative things on them.

If you really want to keep your commlink clean you can always buy them registered, then remove the copy protection and registration though it costs 90% more nuyen. Or keep a good agent and anti-virus active whenever you download.

As long as you spoofed your datatrail before you entered the node however, being traced can do absolutely nothing to you as long as you are not detected or you jack out and move your meat body before they can move in on your location since trace can only locate you to a 50m radius if you're using the [default] low orbit sattelites, but they can only trace you to a 500m radius if you use geo-stationary sattelites, but that of course halves your response so it's a trade-off.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #6 on: <09-20-12/0121:01> »
I didn't think they had satellite rules for 4th.  That in Spygames or just inferred form 3rd?  Assuming the latter since 50m is the new trace for wifi, and you led with jackpoints.

Anyway, Yogi, you should talk to your GM.  Ask what kind of rules are in play and what kind of emphasis will be used in hacking.  Does your GM want to play with piracy, patching and infection, or do the topics seem like all too much minutia and distraction?  The same GM might be of differing opinions from one campaign to the next, so don't worry about it until you've run it past the guy who's running your game. 

The Matrix is the least codified part of SR.  Best to have a good discussion while preparing your character.

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-20-12/0145:43> »
Shadowrun Unwired Pg. 50 Section Data Transport under Satellite Links.

You get two satellite links and the rules for them in all their vague glory.