NEWS

From a Fairlight Excalibur to a Fairlight Caliban...

• 10 Replies

Wolfman

• Newb
  • I'm in your commlink, stealing your paydata
« on: <04-07-11/0709:50> »
So I played this decker ever since SR1 back in '92... in SR2, he had this monstrosity of a Fairlight Excalibur... and kept using it until our last run (which was our last SR3 run before going into SR4). Now, we're converting our characters to SR4 and I'm, somehow, having difficulties figuring out stuff this time around. Anyway, the character doesn't have any financial problem (hard to have some when you need to get an extension on your credstick display so it shows the 40'000'000+ ¥).
I did his stats and skills and the first piece of gear I want to get figured out is his new commlink.
So my question is... What is the most bestial, top of the line, most cutting-edgely brutal commlink can we get?

Edit : Topic Title
« Last Edit: <04-07-11/0712:13> by Wolfman »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <04-07-11/0816:12> »
Off the Shelf? Fairlight Caliban with Novatech Navi OS. That will get you a 'link with Response 4, Signal 5, Firewall 3 and System 4. With access to the War! books, the only one you can buy under Availability 12 is the Singularity Battle Buddy Basic 'link with Resp 5/Signal 5 for Avail 8R and 10,000¥.

You may want to check with your GM and see if you can mod the 'link at character creation (if not, then work out what you need to do with him to mod it in-game). Upgrading the Fairlight/Novatech to it's max (Core rules max, that is) brings it up to Response 6 (8,000¥), Signal 6 (3,000¥), Firewall 6 (3,000¥) and System 6 (3,000¥). You could code the Firewall/System yourself using an extended Software Test (Threshold 12, 3 months for Firewall, 6 months for System) and build the Response/Signal with an extended Hardware Test (Threshold 12, 1 day for each). Of course, these levels are all restricted gear for new characters, so you'd have to pick up the Restricted Gear quality from Runner's Companion to get them. Oh, and you can only get that quality 3 times, and there's four pieces to the 'link... ;)

Of course, if the GM allows it, you could get MilSpec 'links and software. But that is with EXPRESS GM APPROVAL. The 'links with Resp/Sig above 6 start at 24F Availability and max out at 48F for the Transys Cybernaut (R9/Sig8) (not even the Restricted Gear quality will all them). And Firewall/System ratings from 7-10 have (Rating x 4)F availability and (Rating x Rating x 500¥) Cost. The utmost max you can go is Rating 10.

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-07-11/0822:45> »
technically we keep it Core... so no milspec stuff :S

And program wise, what would we be looking at?

(funny feeling seeing a thread with Fastjack and Wolfman... feels like sidebar shadowboards posts from VR2.0 :P)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <04-07-11/0825:37> »
The OS in my previous post is just to figure out your 'link's security (Firewall) and ability to run other stuff (System). You'd then have to go out and purchase the Hacking programs yourself. Those are all personal preference to the Hacker, but high-end programs (Rating 4-6) are 1,000¥ per Rating point.

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-07-11/0833:05> »
thanks a lot chummer  :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <04-07-11/1105:19> »
He could put the guts of the Caliban into the Excalibur, and a lot of shock proofing.   :P

Bull would get jealous!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-07-11/1121:36> »
would turn into one hell of a commlink to carry around though :P

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #7 on: <04-07-11/1201:55> »
Add in an Armored Case mod from Unwired, and you have a Commlink/Riot Shield combo. Voilla!
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-07-11/1332:26> »
Put in some melee hardening (Arsenal, pg. 152) and you can use it as a beatstick, as well.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I think about it, with all the reinforcement, you could install a small shaped charge on one side to fire out shrapnel like a claymore while you stand on the other side of it.  Given the size of the old 'deck, you could probably stick, say, three separate charges that you could mentally detonate with your PAN/skinlink.
« Last Edit: <04-07-11/1334:19> by The_Gun_Nut »
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #9 on: <04-07-11/1405:26> »
You could always stick a Ares Executive Protector SMG (the briefcase guun) in  the deck or just treat the deck as a cyberlimb and load it's capacity up.  With a retro look it could be done, maybe?!

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-07-11/1510:46> »
Put in some melee hardening (Arsenal, pg. 152) and you can use it as a beatstick, as well.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I think about it, with all the reinforcement, you could install a small shaped charge on one side to fire out shrapnel like a claymore while you stand on the other side of it.  Given the size of the old 'deck, you could probably stick, say, three separate charges that you could mentally detonate with your PAN/skinlink.

The CommMoreTM New from Ares Weapons World! (A joint NeoNet Venture, may cause maiming and/or death)

THIS IS MY 666TH POST, AWESOME.