NEWS

Duster + chameleon suit = camo pancho?

• 18 Replies

Wolfeyes

• Newb
« on: <12-15-15/0140:01> »
So I am trying to design some custom gear. Instead of the standard chameleon suit I want him to have something more like a pancho so that he can use it to help conceal equipment. I figured I would see if anyone has any thoughts on this.
"Explosives, the solution to all of life's little problems."

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-15-15/0221:19> »
There's an actual camo poncho in Hard Targets, see Cloak and Ruthenium Polymer Cloak, p. 184.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-15-15/0230:19> »
There's an actual camo poncho in Hard Targets, see Cloak and Ruthenium Polymer Cloak, p. 184.

beat me to it.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-15-15/0256:27> »
Also, you can add RP to a standard poncho and keep 2 points of capacity over for other stuff. Add YNT Softweave and you can add 5 points worth of Thermal dampening.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-15-15/0712:54> »
Or Chameleon Suit with RP coating and Thermal Dampening with YNT weave  :P

Wolfeyes

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-15-15/0728:04> »
Yep, definitely need to look at Hard Targets then. I want the guy I'm working on to be steathy. He is going to be carrying around a sword and possibly a shotgun so it would be nice if he could sneak those by people.
"Explosives, the solution to all of life's little problems."

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-15-15/0830:02> »
@Rooks

possible, but that won't help him smuggle gear with him. You'd need weapon mods to get RP on your weapons too.
talk think matrix

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-15-15/0956:18> »
@Rooks

possible, but that won't help him smuggle gear with him. You'd need weapon mods to get RP on your weapons too.

The poncho has the added benefit of being able to hide things, so a weapon under it need not have RP on it unless of course you plan on sneaking by with it in your hands, than yeah, RP coating on the weapon too.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-15-15/1014:55> »
Yeah, that's what I meant - Poncho>Chameleon Suit for smuggling stuff ;D
talk think matrix

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #9 on: <12-20-15/0548:15> »
Yeah, that's what I meant - Poncho>Chameleon Suit for smuggling stuff ;D

So long as you never have to move ;)

haiiro_okami

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <01-08-16/1210:59> »
So, fairly legitimate question I have to ask now (just found out about all the goodies in Hard Targets; shame the chameleon cloak isn't available at chargen), if you wear the cloak (chameleon or otherwise) over say an armor jacket, do you receive the benefits of the cloak?

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-08-16/1240:28> »
I picture it as fullsuit benefit while standing still(pulling the hood over your head)
but moving, you'll peak out from under the cloak occasionally so -1 to the rating.
Combine it with, say, Sleeping Tiger and I'd say you get the full benefit even moving.
YMMV

haiiro_okami

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-08-16/1247:22> »
Was referring mostly to concealment benefits because I was thinking of using at least the basic model initially to get the "best of both words" between an armor jacket and a lined coat; concealability of items underneath plus quality armor

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-08-16/1324:49> »
@Rooks

character wearing an outfit with active optical
camouflage and carrying a weapon larger than Heavy
Pistol size needs this modification to receive the bonus
of the camouflage

Course you could always get a concealed pocket and chameleon coating under a lined coat with RP for -6  (or more?) :P

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <01-09-16/0503:55> »
@Rooks

character wearing an outfit with active optical
camouflage and carrying a weapon larger than Heavy
Pistol size needs this modification to receive the bonus
of the camouflage

Course you could always get a concealed pocket and chameleon coating under a lined coat with RP for -6  (or more?) :P

Concealed pockets won't fit a sword or shotgun, they do list examples of what would fit.

As for using multiple armors, you only keep the benefits of the best for armor unless they are stacking (have a + sign with their armor value). I recommend that if you are going to wear multiple armors, they should be designed to stack or be concealable. Example: Armor vests are made to be worn under the clothes without any real bulk. No reason you couldn't wear one and a lined coat or perhaps even an armor jacket. Useful for if you get to the front door and they have a coat check, "May I take you jacket, sir?"

I'd suggest you think about the goal of your character. Concealment is for fitting in. You aren't making yourself invisible, but making your illicit goods fade out of sight. A full camel eon suit or RP cloak is meant for you to be entirely unseen. Having to hide your weapon implies that they have seen you, which means you've failed.