NEWS

Apt Pupil reducing initiation time?

• 3 Replies

Asfaloth

• Newb
« on: <07-21-17/0624:19> »
Hi there,

I've got a quick question which may or may not trigger huge discussions xD My GM and me are having different opinions about whether "Apt Pupil" from Forbidden Arcana would reduce the time spent on initiation as well or not.

As far as I read it - and that may be entirely wrong - that it indeed does reduce all training times having anything to do with magical things. Which would include (in my logic) initiation.

Now I'm not sure whether or not to cite the rulebook here on the board so until anyone tells me it's fine I'd rather not do that, but I'd like to get your opinion on the topic - without ranting me if possible ;) As I said to my GM and here: I'm fine with being wrong, I won't fight for this. On the contrary me writing here and putting this up for discussion is my way of not fighting. ;)

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-21-17/0847:28> »
All that studying has finally paid off. All of the magical training times for a character with this quality are reduced by 25 percent.
Now the question is whether Initiation is "Training". That, I don't know. I'd say ask the author, but I reckon you can still do that after a discussion here.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Asfaloth

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-21-17/0855:12> »
That's exactly the point I think.

If initiation is "training", my point would be valid - otherwise it would not be.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <07-22-17/0352:10> »
I'd rule that if you take a class, to get that -10% karma cost, yes, it reduces that; it does not otherwise reduce the amount of time you have to spend on initiating, on whatever is required for your ordeal, on the amount of time your group might require you to spend doing good deeds in their name, whatever.  It's how fast you learn a spell, or gain a level in a skill; that's training.  But because other parts of Initiation are (or at least can be) so vastly different than just 'I study and practice', I would give it an emphatic 'only the class time' ruling.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.