NEWS

SR5 Persona Question

• 15 Replies

Hanzo

• Newb
« on: <09-16-20/0237:14> »
Hi, fellow chummers!

I have quite a weird question. What kind of device do I need to run a Persona?

The CRB says that USUALLY I need a comm, a deck, a RCC. But does that mean that in emergency situation I can use my ... say ... Helmet with integrated Smartlink mod to get to the Matrix to make the Send Message or the Matrix Search Actions as the Hemet has wireless capabilities and has Data Processing and even Firewall options?

If you don't like my Helmep pls use my Gas Mask))) It has wireless capabilities for sure))))

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-20/0300:57> »
What kind of device do I need to run a Persona?
Commlink, Cyberdeck, RCC.

If you are a rigger you can also jump directly into a vehicle via your Control Rig (it comes with a SIM module) - without first accessing the matrix with your RCC. In that special case you use matrix attributes provided by the vehicle (which are typically rather low, unless perhaps you are jumped into a space ship).

There are also more advanced rules (there is a persona firmware device modification in data trails that let you access the matrix from any device really, like your helmet or a toaster etc).

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-20/0309:43> »
Thanks a lot !

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-16-20/0318:04> »
Frag there's survival knives you can use to make commcalls with. But you can't form a persona with it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-16-20/0337:25> »
Frag there's survival knives you can use to make commcalls with. But you can't form a persona with it.
(perhaps they are assumed to have the persona firmware installed)

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #5 on: <09-16-20/0517:53> »
I guess, per 6e- personas are the specific type of icon that a person has.

The combat knife, under normal circumstances, has a little knife icon. If someone is using it to make a call (Perhaps with trodes hooked up, or perhaps that's not necessary), then the person using the knife has a persona- so the knife's icon is replaced with a persona.

It would probably be a crappy persona- there are rules for if a device lacks attributes.

So, unless you're using the knife as your commlink, it doesn't have one. But if you are, then it does have one.

I could also be completely off per fiction

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-16-20/0528:14> »
It would probably be a crappy persona- there are rules for if a device lacks attributes.

What kind of Attributes are you talking about? Literraly everything in Shadowrun has Data Processing and Firewall. Attack and Sleaze are complementary))) In onther words I can make a call using my pants)) I know it's only a tag, but with the help of trodes it can become a commlink))

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <09-16-20/0629:24> »
I disagree with being able to form a persona through any device. A camera has a device rating, ergo data processing and firewall, but that doesn't mean it's capable of letting me surf the matrix. But with the Survival Knife, the question would be: Does it let you be in the Matrix? I'd argue no, it's just an interface device, you're not actually in the Matrix wandering about, just doing videocalls. A video doorbell doesn't give me a persona, nor does a camera observing me and having me projected as a hologram elsewhere. If it lets you freely access the Matrix, then sure.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-16-20/0733:51> »
The Send Message Matrix Action (which I assume is being used when making a call over the matrix) require that you access the matrix and that your matrix persona (that you get from the device you use to access the matrix with) have a Data Processing matrix attribute.

All which is true if you treat the survival knife as a wireless device that have a persona firmware device modification.

If it doesn't have a persona firmware device modification then you EITHER:
- need to first connect to the matrix via another device (like a commlink, RCC or cyberdeck)...otherwise you can't press that virtual doorbell ARO wireless over the matrix or get the video from the camera projected into your cybereyes wireless over the matrix or making that call over the matrix with your survival knife

OR
- you need to use the device without using it over the matrix (like physically pressing the physical doorbell next to the door or physically looking at the screen of the camera like people used cameras back in 2020 or communicating in a way that does not involve the matrix - like using a wireless disabled subvocal microphone that is paired with another subvocal microphone within range).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <09-16-20/0848:27> »
Under that logic, how does a wireless camera work?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-16-20/1512:46> »
What do you mean?

Just like all wireless devices it will have a device icon in the matrix that the owner can manipulate. If the owner have a matrix persona that is (is accessing the matrix via a commlink, cyberdeck, RCC or a living persona).

If the owner have a matrix persona then the owner can for example use the Send Message action to open a live feed to one or more recipients, using any digital recording devices you have. (where a camera is a recording device).

Personas take matrix actions. Not devices...

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-17-20/0301:56> »
BTW, can ordinary camera "see" and recond only "meatworld"? Or can it "see" and feed both "meatworld" and AR objects?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-17-20/0641:46> »
BTW, can ordinary camera "see" and recond only "meatworld"? Or can it "see" and feed both "meatworld" and AR objects?

I would rule it as yes, you can set it to record AR aswell. Or choose not to, if thats what you want.

Today you can take pictures rhat includes your AR pokemon for example.
« Last Edit: <09-17-20/0729:38> by DigitalZombie »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-17-20/0809:35> »
To think about it the book doesn't actually say... Default I think cameras are only recording the meat world....?

But I guess you could always house rule that recording AR thingies could for example be a wireless bonus functionality of cameras (that if the camera is wireless enabled then it can record both meat world objects and also virtual objects like AROs and other matrix-related objects).

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-17-20/1017:19> »
Yes, I agree a camera that is wireless-enabled (so... basically every camera) is going to be able to perceive AROs.

However, what's good for the goose is good for the gander: the camera still can't record any AROs that aren't 1) being publicly broadcast for any and all observing devices or 2) being broadcast specifically to the camera.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.