NEWS

Traveling by Sea, Working Comfy - Campaign Idea

• 2 Replies

Tech

• Newb
« on: <05-23-18/2234:54> »
Greetings and salutations to all you fellow runners!

I've been developing an idea for a long-lasting campaign for a while now, but my group is in an awkward limbo during one of my campaigns already, so I haven't been able to do anything with it. I suspect that with the coming of summer I'll be able to really dig into it and flesh it out beyond just an idea, but until then, maybe one of you can use it.

Basic idea:
There's a man who enjoys to travel, collect, and expand his horizons, but doesn't like to spend money while doing so. He's what a normal runner would call "holy frag, he's rich!".

Traveling via sea, he has a relatively *cough* -by relatively I mean seriously- *cough* large boat. Ship. Cruiser. Something. Either way, he uses the excess space on his large floating castle to house runners, along with his personal staff. Sounds like a bad idea, I know, but he has a pretty high criterion. He's constructed a large versatility in the way of runners, giving them training, experience, and a sense of discipline. If you go across the line, you're out. No exceptions.

The characters here are going to have to be black trench coat 24/7. They'd have a decent amount of experience from working on runs with him before, and perhaps from when they weren't part of his organization. This gives the players some room to mess around with, seeing as you're supposed to throw them into the situation right away.

Setting:
Basically anywhere you want, but mostly areas that have a place to dock the boat. This doesn't you won't get sent on missions further inward.

The man has a name, but the characters only know him by the title "The Advocate", but the nickname "Addy" falls in and out of favor with the crowd on the boat

Each character will start out with 150 extra Karma, additional to after character creation. This will give the characters the rewards they deserve for being the intended veterans that they are.

As far as gear goes, let the players have a little bit of fun. This guy's got connections, and it's not much of an issue to get something outside of the law.

Contacts:
Like I said, he's got connections. You'll have basically everything you need, and more. If you have an issue, you know a guy who knows a lot of guy.

The character's don't have to pay monthly rent, they pay by doing work. Lifestyle: Middle class

I hope someone here can use this. I don't know if this is a thing here, but please give me at least a little credit for the idea if you end up using it. Thanks!
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"
"I shoot him with my krime gun"

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-24-18/1257:07> »
A whole bunch of questions:

So the idea is that this is a floating safehouse for runners?

What's The Advocate's motivation for housing runners? Because he's rich and bored? Or he likes the influence a boat full of runners give him? Or they're like live-in security?

What happens to the runners when he wants to relocate? Does he just take a boatload of runners with him wherever he goes, injecting dozens of new runners into the local economy wherever he docks?

I can imagine there being some tension between competing runners, as they constantly toe the line of what they can get away with (pranks, fights, etc.) without getting kicked off.

Tech

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-30-18/2117:00> »
A whole bunch of questions:

So the idea is that this is a floating safehouse for runners?

What's The Advocate's motivation for housing runners? Because he's rich and bored? Or he likes the influence a boat full of runners give him? Or they're like live-in security?

What happens to the runners when he wants to relocate? Does he just take a boatload of runners with him wherever he goes, injecting dozens of new runners into the local economy wherever he docks?

I can imagine there being some tension between competing runners, as they constantly toe the line of what they can get away with (pranks, fights, etc.) without getting kicked off.

Not so much of a safe house as a place for people just getting into the biz to be able to work safe. Not safe as in they won't die, but they will know they have accommodations.

Live-in security is probably the best way to describe it, but it has it's ups and downs. Not only does the Advocate have an interest in acquiring things for himself, but he can be a middle man for other people who want something. One of my first ideas I had for this was the leopard run that was published by Ace just a few pages ago, where the team thinks they're breaking into a place to get a big cat, but instead find a Leopard 2A8 Main Battle Tank, a Euro war antique.

When he moves, anyone who is willing moves with him. He's understanding, but doesn't like it when his crew wants to bail on him. However, if you owe him something, he won't let you off very easily at a dock. And when the boat docks, he doesn't just tell everyone to go enjoy themselves - he should have a purpose for being there, unless you want to make missions based around him being contacted and being put out of his comfort zone, maybe being blackmailed, to do something for someone else. If blackmail is the case, then there's a good possibility your group of runners (basically private security) is going to go remedy his issues, mostly because they don't really want there favorite land lord and boss to get slammed with something that will put them all out of business, and there homes.

As far as runners doing stupid stuff, he doesn't tolerate much of it. This isn't so much meant to be a pink Mohawk as it is a black trench coat idea.

Hope this helps!
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"
"I shoot him with my krime gun"