NEWS

[SR6] Edge gain

• 13 Replies

jacx7

• Newb
« on: <10-23-19/1042:06> »
I skimmed through the Edge Section again.

CRB p.45
No player may gain more than two bonus points of Edge in a combat round. Edge can also be gained in social situations, based on the attitudes the different participants have toward each other, their bearing, and other factors.

Am I reading this correct, that in fact only in combat your possible edge gain is reduced to 2 edge/combat round?

So if my ally allready gained 2 edge in a combat round my 2-Edge Boost "Give ally 1 Edge" would be wasted?
But if he and I were in a non-combat situation I would be able to Boost him with another edge after he allready gained 2 edge?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-23-19/1043:43> »
If the scene isn't being measured in combat rounds, then you can't be limited to a gain of 2 per combat round now can you :)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

jacx7

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-23-19/1109:42> »
This example is really dumb but lets try:

My Streetsam just blew all his Edge to kill some foes.

We sneak forward, tie up the next guard we encounter and I interrogate him which gains me 4 edge because of qualities etc.
My edgepool is over its limit of 2, 2 edge would decay. I "Give ally 1 Edge" 2 times.

Need more Information - Further interrogation.
My edgepool has reached its limit. I "Give ally 1 Edge" 2 times.

Further interrogation.
I "Give ally 1 Edge" 2 times.

Streetsam is back at his max edge.

Is this considered edge abuse?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-23-19/1112:29> »
Of course if you're not in combat, chances are you're not giving excess edge away, so it's expensive. And if you somehow try to do something that would give you 4 Edge in 1 action, I'd probably start frowning as GM. But yeah, sounds like the limits aren't that strict when you're not doing things 3 seconds at a time.

@jacx: Yeah, that sounds like it might become Edge abuse if the interrogation isn't actually necessary.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

jacx7

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-23-19/1122:48> »
4 Edge is seriously not that hard in this situation

1. Talker is clearly more physically powerful than listener
2. Listener has no easy ways to leave
3. Talker’s appearance is perfectly suited for their role
4,5. First Impression Quality

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <10-23-19/1257:18> »
First Impression only gives you 2 Edge for the meeting, not 2 Edge on every roll, though.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-23-19/1310:20> »
First Impression only gives you 2 Edge for the meeting, not 2 Edge on every roll, though.

First Impression is arguably not going to work on someone you've captured, as the interrogation is no longer the "first meeting": the combat where you captured him was.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-23-19/1318:31> »
I don't know why a GM would give edge away three separate times here instead of once.  It's one interrogation that you're breaking into three parts.

But, assuming the GM is ok with that, I definitely don't think that's edge abuse as you laid it out, since you said further interrogation was necessary.  It is a great example of why I personally don't like the "give ally edge" idea, though.

jacx7

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-23-19/1604:21> »

First Impression is arguably not going to work on someone you've captured, as the interrogation is no longer the "first meeting": the combat where you captured him was.

How is the first encounter defined?
How long is it?
Is the first meeting if I see someone across the street?
or is it the first time I speak to them?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-23-19/1632:16> »

How is the first encounter defined?
How long is it?
Is the first meeting if I see someone across the street?
or is it the first time I speak to them?

The same way it was in 5e:

Complete and total reliance on GM discretion.

Is fighting a guard a different scene than interrogating him afterwards?  Maybe yes.  Maybe no.  Completely up to the GM.

jacx7

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-23-19/1730:52> »
Perfect :)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-23-19/1959:08> »
Yeah a strict RAW interpretation of First Impression makes it totally crazy.  5 Goons?  10 Edge!  Here comes an intimidate check you won't believe!

Walking into the meet at a crowded restaurant, wow, here I come Mr. J with more Edge than I can ever spend.

The GM will have to make some calls that work for the table. 

jacx7

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <10-24-19/1229:38> »
Yeah a strict RAW interpretation of First Impression makes it totally crazy.  5 Goons?  10 Edge!  Here comes an intimidate check you won't believe!

Walking into the meet at a crowded restaurant, wow, here I come Mr. J with more Edge than I can ever spend.

The GM will have to make some calls that work for the table.

Johnson: "Are you ready for this run?"

Face: "I'll tell you how this will go. yOu GieV alL tHEm mOnEYz."

Johnson: "Fine, you convinced me."

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-24-19/1301:36> »
The answer to “is this edge abuse?” is “ask your GM”, otherwise this is good advice :)