NEWS

Best Assault Rifle

• 139 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« on: <01-03-16/1505:59> »
All the other guns got a thread...

So I'm going with the recently Nerfed Ultimax Rain Forest Carbine now weighing in at 11P - 2 AP and 5 ACC it's basic stats are top of the line for ARs.  Concealability of +4 with the stock folded in.  No additional RC needed to handle Burst Fire mode (well, presuming a 2 Str).  Favorite add on's are Silencer, Electronic Firing, and of course internal Smart link.  With Sub-sonic Ammo you're up to -7 perception test with a threshold of 2 to hear it.  Street Legal with a license and more concealable than other ARs.  Hide it under a long coat and you're practically discreet.  Okay, not really, but still.  My new favorite for jr. commandos, or really anyone with a double digit palming skill. 

Main draw back is lack of full auto, but it's hard to find more discrete gun with equivilant stopping power.  At least one that isn't forbidden or had half the gun sawed off. 

Missions errata on the Rain Forest

https://www.dropbox.com/s/022gpaf8wkohvwy/SRM%20Chicago%20FAQ%20Ver%200.1.pdf?dl=0   First entry of Section 11

Anyway, high stopping power, legal with license, no additional RC needed, more concealable than most ARs or Longarms, and available at char gen.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-03-16/1544:49> »
Electronic firing and silencers are both barrel-mounted accessories.  That combo works for the Ranger Arms, which comes with an integral ("slotless") silencer.  All that aside, it's still a good pick for jobs that require a little discretion.  For a completely different type of job, my merc character has a few different assault rifles, his default being a throwback AK-97 with melee hardening, extreme environmental adaptation 1, and as many slide mounts as it can hold.  He has fancier guns like the requisite Alpha too, but this gun allows him to easily mod an assault rifle for the legality and job at hand and in true AK fashion, it can take a beating.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-03-16/1631:31> »
SRM 06-01 Ten Fifty-Seven has the Ultimax Rain Forest Carbine listed as Acc 5, DV 11P, AP -6 (with APDS), SA only, RC1, with a clip size of 18(c), featuring a retractable stock and an external smartgun system. Is this a specific missions weapon for the Muckrackers only? Because this is different from the Missions FAQ...

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-03-16/1653:54> »
Licenses not withstanding, the Ares Alpha is still the king in that regard. The Rainforest may be a nice and discreet weapon, but the Alpha is at home where the combat is. Unique RC, underbarrel grenade launcher, large magazine... there is a reason it's a classic.

I wonder: If you removed the GL, would the Alpha become a mere restricted item? The AK 97 to AK 98 seems to suggest it.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-03-16/1730:01> »
I wonder: If you removed the GL, would the Alpha become a mere restricted item? The AK 97 to AK 98 seems to suggest it.
As a GM, I would say yes.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-03-16/1823:27> »
Electronic firing and silencers are both barrel-mounted accessories.  That combo works for the Ranger Arms, which comes with an integral ("slotless") silencer. 

Yamaha Raiden says "Hello!"   : )     Just sayin.  Electronic Firing is in the chamber, generally Silencers are at the other end of the barrel.  I guess RAW they don't combine but I can't imagine that a weapon couldn't have both.  The Raiden implies it's possible, or as you point out, any weapon with one or the other integral would be RAW to add the other.  *shrug*  I've never really paid any attention to what clips on to what by RAW, I've always just gone with what makes sense, at least in my own head.

Anyway, the Ares Alpha is certainly the Alpha dog of open war zones.  If it absolutely has to die and you don't care who sees it coming, Alpha.  Sadly, loud and obvious isn't always an option for runners.  As far as restricted or forbidden by removing the GL, I'd go with no.  The GL is integral and the Ares Alpha is on a list in some data base as a no-no.  The AK-97 and AK-98 are technically different weapons.  I think you'd have to house rule an Ares Alpha-Lima or something is a production weapon without the GL.

Squirrel

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <01-03-16/1837:10> »

If it is sold without one, yes. If it isnt you need to somehow prove that you dont have that GL anymore...
Also with an AR some law enforcement might ask questions not in step one ;)
Please excuse my English as it is not my first language. Misunderstandings are inevitable and smell peachy enough to be forgiven. Thank you :)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-03-16/1857:18> »
Electronic Firing being a barrel mod has got to be an error; adding recoil compensation and making the weapon more silent seems like it would be a perfect pairing for a silencer and subsonic ammunition...

In any case, you could always add electronic firing to the Internal slot as per Run & Gun and the silencer to the barrel, or vice versa.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-03-16/1934:02> »
I imagine every freelancer has some offbeat project s/he would secretly love to pursue.  I'm not kidding when I say mine is to fix gun mods/slots.

RAW, there's a fair amount about gun mods that doesn't make sense.  I'd certainly let someone stick electronic firing in the Internal slot and I'd guess that Herr Brackhaus is correct and that's what was intended.  In the meantime, we're stuck with double-shock pad rifles ;)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-03-16/2001:19> »
Double-shock pad rifles?

That's not possible under the Run & Gun rules on page 51 (emphasis mine):
In case it needs to be said, you can’t install the same modification or accessory twice and expect to double the benefits. If you really want to, you can install the same modification in two different spots, but you’ll only get the benefit once, so you’ll be wasting a slot.
« Last Edit: <01-03-16/2003:49> by Herr Brackhaus »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-03-16/2115:54> »
Key word there is install.  Accessories that come with guns are integral as opposed to installed and don't consume slots.  So the laser sight on the Enfield AS-7 that's described as "top-mounted" isn't actually in the top slot.  And that's how you end up with double scoped/double shock padded rifles.  Hopefully, any sane GM would point out that Shadowrun doesn't lend itself to pedantic readings and thwack the offending player with the rulebook.  (Although a gun with two scopes is technically possible--Google "most tactical AR-15 ever" for a laugh.)

More concretely, there are mods like electronic firing that don't seem to be in the right slot, slots (like side) that aren't clearly defined (do light pistols have a side mount?), weapons with conflicting mods (Ingram Smartgun), and guns, like the Raiden, with an excess of options that seem to be both integral and internal.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-03-16/2137:51> »
I'd buy Kincaid's Gun Shop.  Just sayin.

And, yeah.  Ingram Smartgun with Silencer and Gas Vents.  Er.  wat?  I love the double padded guns.  That's solid right there.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-03-16/2240:29> »
Hahaha, Kincaid. I'd actually still argue that if a gun comes with a mod you can install (key word) a second one of the same type, but it would still be a wasted slot as you effectively achieve the same thing whether one was installed at the factory and the other by yourself. Pedantry, rejoice!

As for slots, I was under the simple impression that unless specified, all weapons have all slots. Light Pistols therefore have all slots except underbarrel (and stock) as mentioned in the core book, but side, barrel, top, and internal are free game.

And I've seen that tacticool AR before; in fact, I believe I even linked it on here once or twice ;)

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-04-16/0241:52> »
Key word there is install.  Accessories that come with guns are integral as opposed to installed and don't consume slots.  So the laser sight on the Enfield AS-7 that's described as "top-mounted" isn't actually in the top slot.  And that's how you end up with double scoped/double shock padded rifles.  Hopefully, any sane GM would point out that Shadowrun doesn't lend itself to pedantic readings and thwack the offending player with the rulebook.  (Although a gun with two scopes is technically possible--Google "most tactical AR-15 ever" for a laugh.)

More concretely, there are mods like electronic firing that don't seem to be in the right slot, slots (like side) that aren't clearly defined (do light pistols have a side mount?), weapons with conflicting mods (Ingram Smartgun), and guns, like the Raiden, with an excess of options that seem to be both integral and internal.

I have to disagree with you.
Unless an option is stated as integral (and some are) it takes up a slot otherwise there's no reason to buy uns that aren't already modded since by your interpretation I could get the Ares Alpha and install a second underbarrel option- I'll pick flamethrower to go along with that grenade launcher please. And the Ingram has two barrel accessories already so why not add a third?

"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-04-16/0304:46> »
partial to the colt m23 cheap as hell mod from the ground up you can buy several of these for the price of one of the others