NEWS

5E, Data-Trails. The Black Trenchcoat Sleaze Special.

• 86 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <06-16-15/0654:43> »
So then how does slaving your device to the groups decker work?
« Last Edit: <06-16-15/0739:33> by Senko »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <06-16-15/0721:07> »
So then how does slaving your device to the groups decker work?
Technically, it doesn't, and for two reasons.

1. A persona can't be the master in a slave (which is why Technomancers can't slave devices to their Living Persona under RAW).
2. A device can only be slaved by the owner.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <06-16-15/0725:54> »
I have been misinformed then I thought you could slave your comlink to the decker's deck for better security. So going by this on page 235 . . .

Personas are the “people” of the Matrix. Some personas are actually people, users and hackers who are connected to and using the Matrix. When a person uses a device to connect to the Matrix, the device’s icon is subsumed by the persona’s icon, so it’s basically gone from the Matrix until the persona jacks out. You can only run one persona at a time; switching requires you to reboot both the device you’re currently on and the device to which you want to shift your persona.
Some personas are agents, performing tasks on behalf of their owners. Agents running alone on a device replace the device icon the same way a living user does.
If you’re running an agent along with your persona, it appears with its own separate persona, even though you’re using the same device. Each IC program has its own persona.

If you put an agent in a commlink it transforms from a device to a persona and can't be slaved rather annoying.
« Last Edit: <06-16-15/0740:41> by Senko »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-16-15/0741:56> »
People normally slave their own devices to their own commlink.

But if you trust your decker enough you could always make him the legit matrix owner of your device (such as you bike) and then let him slave it to his own ccommlink.....

Your right our persona can only be on one device at the time but an agent is a persona so why can slaving work?
You can't slave an agent either. You can only slave devices.

A slaved device might use master ratings when defending.
An agent cannot be a slave and cannot use master ratings when defending.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-16-15/0747:11> »
I have to say a lot of these cool new options start to become utterly useless when you actually look at the rules governing them :-\ .

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <06-16-15/0926:27> »
Thats cause 5th edition matrix rules are a disjointed mess

That persona icons cannot be slaves in a PAN or WAN is mentioned on several locations.
SR5 p. 216 pan, slave, wan...
SR5 p. 233 PANs and WANs
SR5 p. 251 Living Persona

Your commlink, cyberdeck or RCC is the master device in your PAN.

You are the matrix owner of devices in your personal area network.
You know what? you really need to site your sources,

If you want extra protection for some of your devices,
you can slave them to your commlink or deck

guess what? commlinks and cyber decks are devices too which make them eligable to be slaved to, you guessed it other commlinks or cyberdecks

Oh wait so what you are saying is a RCC cant even be a slaved Device in a PAN there by making Riggers absolutely USESLESS cause they cant do anything while being hacked except defend oh
« Last Edit: <06-16-15/0942:16> by Rooks »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-16-15/0950:19> »
I am saying a persona cannot be a slave in a PAN or WAN, only a device can be a slave in a PAN or WAN.

You cannot slave an agent, sprite, device based persona or living persona to a master device or host. Only a device.

A RCC is a device so it can be the master device for a rigger. Drones are devices. The rigger can slave his drones to his RCC. His drones may then use the firewall of his RCC for defence.

A rigger that base his persona on his RCC use matrix attributes provided by the RCC. The persona cannot be slaved   to a host to use the firewall of the host if attacked or to the deckers cyberdeck for sleaze attribute to make it harder to spot. The persona will always use the firewall of the device it is formed on.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <06-16-15/0954:16> »
I am saying a persona cannot be a slave in a PAN or WAN, only a device can be a slave in a PAN or WAN.

You cannot slave an agent, sprite, device based persona or living persona to a master device or host. Only a device.

A RCC is a device so it can be the master device for a rigger. Drones are devices. The rigger can slave his drones to his RCC. His drones may then use the firewall of his RCC for defence.

A rigger that base his persona on his RCC use matrix attributes provided by the RCC. The persona cannot be slaved   to a host to use the firewall of the host if attacked or to the deckers cyberdeck for sleaze attribute to make it harder to spot. The persona will always use the firewall of the device it is formed on.
ok you know what answer this one question where in the book does it say a persona cannot be a slave in a pan site your proof

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-16-15/1043:53> »
I thought i just gave you several pages where they clearly state that only devices can be slaves in a PAN. I am typing from a smartphone atm so quoting from the book is pretty tricky. Was hoping to avoid that...........

SR5 p. 233 PANs and WANs
Only devices can be slaves, masters, or part of a PAN. In a WAN, the slaves must be devices, and the master must be a host.
« Last Edit: <06-16-15/1046:41> by Xenon »

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <06-16-15/1204:44> »
I still dont understand that logic you should be able to slave a cyberdeck to a commlink or your commlink to a cyber deck or a commlink to another commlink for protection

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #40 on: <06-16-15/1225:45> »
There are three devices that can be used as the Master in a PAN: a Commlink; a Cyberdeck; or a Rigger Command Console (RCC).  None of them can be a Slave in a PAN.  Why?  Put it down to the fact that all three have integrated Firewalls whilst none of the devices that can be slaved to them have one.  Put it down to game balance.  You could even put it down to GOD employing Pixies to sabotage every device that gets made.

The reason doesn't matter.  In Shadowrun 5th Edition that's the way things are.  As Threepio says to Chewbacca "Screaming about it won't help you".
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <06-16-15/1317:19> »
Rooks, you need to make up your mind omae.

SR5 p. 218 The population of the matrix
Every icon in the Matrix is one of six things: a persona, a device, a PAN, a file, a host, or a mark.

Are you talking about persona (that cannot be part of your PAN) or devices (that can be part of your PAN).

Your persona cannot be a slave. Your persona will use the matrix attributes of the device it is formed on...

where does it even say that...
Here we talk about persona, not device.
A persona cannot be part of your PAN.

That persona icons cannot be slaves in a PAN or WAN is mentioned on several locations...
...If you want extra protection for some of your devices, you can slave them to your commlink or deck...
Here I am talking about persona and you start to talk about devices??
A device can be part of your PAN.

I am saying a persona cannot be a slave in a PAN or WAN, only a device can be a slave in a PAN or WAN...
ok you know what answer this one question where in the book does it say a persona cannot be a slave in a pan site your proof
Here we both talk about persona (not device).

I still dont understand that logic you should be able to slave a cyberdeck to a commlink or ...
Now you are back to device...??

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <06-16-15/1333:07> »
There are three devices that can be used as the Master in a PAN: a Commlink; a Cyberdeck; or a Rigger Command Console (RCC).  None of them can be a Slave in a PAN.  Why?  Put it down to the fact that all three have integrated Firewalls whilst none of the devices that can be slaved to them have one. 

Just to clear this one up,

P. 226 Core rule book
"There are four Matrix attributes: Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, and Firewall (abbreviated ASDF). Most devices (including commlinks) have only two Matrix attributes: Data Processing and Firewall. Decks and hosts have all four, including Attack and Sleaze."

Followed by clarification in Data Trails P. 66
"You can’t add a Matrix attribute to a device that already has that attribute. Remember that all devices have Data Processing and Firewall" emphasis mine.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <06-16-15/1341:29> »
You can slave a commlink to your cyberdeck.
The commlink is a device.
The cyberdeck is a device.
Your commlink may use your cyberdeck's matrix attributs when defending (if they are higher).

You can base your persona on your commlink
Your persona based on your commlink will use matrix attributes of your commlink.
Your persona based on your commlink cannot be slaved to the cyberdeck.
Your persona based on your commlink may NOT use your cyberdeck's matrix attributes when defending.

Clear enough...?

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <06-16-15/1753:56> »
Basically I can slave my commlink/cyberdeck to another commlink/cyberdeck unless I'm using it at the time in which case it transforms from a device to a persona which can't be slaved to another device. A condition which is odd and as I said renders a lot of the cool new toy's useless in practice.