NEWS

Gun H(e)aven 3 is here!

• 122 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <12-17-13/1025:00> »
again, using explosives in tight quarters is asking for trouble, but they should still have the modifier, because someone, somewhere, will try..

Poor math skills and the chunky salsa rule have proven to be modifier enough in my games  ;D
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

frankhlane

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <12-17-13/1052:36> »
[spoiler]
The fact that sniper rifles and carbines are even remotely interchangeable is really weird to me from a fluff standpoint.  If we can add the sporting rifle category, surely we can add a carbine category.  I'd even like to see some sort of die penalty for using a longarm in tight quarters (like a narrow stairwell) to encourage diversity of weapon choice.

I agree. Although having lots of different ranges might be confusing, the die penalty sounds about right.

I think my houserule for this sort of thing will be an Accuracy hit.

Sniper Rifles use as battle rifles will have their accuracy reduced, since much of the accuracy comes from the bracing, lining up a shot, taking time to aim before firing.

I also like the die penalty for tight quarters.  Since size is a big basis, I like the idea of  a penalty based directly on it's Concealability modifier, since that is based somewhat on size also.  Say, a die penalty in tight quarters = 1/2 concealability modifier....
SMGs, Machine Pistols with extended stocks, at -1
Sword, Sawed off Shotgun, bullpup ARs are -2
Katana, Shotgun, ARs, Sport Rifles and Crossbows -3
Sniper rifles, Bows, Grenade Launchers (as if) are -4
and MGs, Assault Cannons (not actually on this list, but can go here), rocket/missile launchers are -5.. 

again, using explosives in tight quarters is asking for trouble, but they should still have the modifier, because someone, somewhere, will try..

[/spoiler]

I am all for penalties to use large ranged weapons in close combat.  All for it!
This is your ICQ number.  This is your AOL Instant Messenger nickname. Your MSN messenger email address. This is your Yahoo! Instant Messenger nickname.

martinchaen

« Reply #62 on: <12-17-13/1257:16> »
Wait, swords and katanas get a dice pool penalty for being used in "tight quarters" in your house rule, Agonar? :-)

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <12-17-13/1335:49> »
I like the idea of penalizing people for trying to use a slashing weapon in a hallway, however, perhaps you could simply state that the weapon's Reach becomes a penalty to the attacker rather than to the defender when using a melee weapon in a confined space.

martinchaen

« Reply #64 on: <12-17-13/1433:11> »
I would question that particular logic. You'd first have to define "confined space". Reach would have to dictate what would be confined, as using a polearm with reach 3 will very much differ from using a katana with reach 1...

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <12-17-13/1439:35> »
Of course, it's all going to be subject to GM fiat, but when the rules encourage everyone to run around with a carbine that evidently fires autocannon rounds, or a burst firing sniper rifle, you have to expect an amount of that, or a playerbase willing to have their characters make equipment choices based on something that has no mechanics.

martinchaen

« Reply #66 on: <12-17-13/1447:04> »
*shrugs*
Of the 8 players I'm running with on a weekly basis, not a single one has an EBR or tries to engage targets at close range with a sniper rifle. Your mileage may vary, of course.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <12-17-13/1456:12> »
Then you have the latter, a group of players who recognize that there are silly things in the rules and treat them with all the scorn they deserve by instead choosing to make use of what they feel is appropriate rather than what the numbers say is "best".  Admittedly, I think it's the attitude everyone should have, but I don't think that ideal justifies a bad mechanic, either.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #68 on: <12-17-13/1519:31> »
I'd rather gun them down before they get within close range myself. And that EBR still cost me 10k nuyen, which is far more than the Alpha, and doesn't have inherent RC, unlike the Alpha, nor a Grenade Launcher. Plus it's harder to get into places. And unlike Automatics users, as Longarms user I do not have Suppressive Fire and Long Bursts as options, so that's yet another advantage the Alpha users have.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <12-17-13/1523:09> »
Best kill is the one from such a distance that they don't know you're there. That is the strength of the sniper rifle. :)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <12-17-13/1526:06> »
Wait, swords and katanas get a dice pool penalty for being used in "tight quarters" in your house rule, Agonar? :-)

a Katana without proper room to actually swing it. . .  ummm, yeah.  I'm not talking about melee combat in open spaces, Tight Quarters..  trying to have a sword fight in a small elevator, where overhead swings hit the ceiling, side slashes hit the side walls..  so yeah, I think that makes perfect sense.

As far as defining it..  just that.  Office Hallways sometimes have lower ceilings, because of the false ceiling to hide the air ducts and AC units.  Any time the GM says "you are moving through somewhat cramped spaces"..  I don't think it needs to be defined exactly "If any surface or object is less than 80cm" or whatever..  since a lot of people rely on mapless descriptions of areas, the GM will tell you if you are in tight quarters or not
« Last Edit: <12-17-13/1530:35> by Agonar »
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #71 on: <12-19-13/0458:59> »
Had some time to look this through, and with every non-flavor weapon I found a Core weapon which was comparable with upsides and downsides to the one listed (aside from the one black sheep, of course), which was nice. Trade in a few bonuses in return for having a Restricted rather than Forbidden weapon, for example. I like it. Heck, even the worthless 300-nuyen gun can be used by providing them to a militia then join in with them and shoot enemies down after draining their dodge pool.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #72 on: <12-19-13/1240:25> »
By the way, anyone want to take bets that Aetherology is the new Street Magic?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #73 on: <12-19-13/1456:54> »
I am sad: No lever action pistols. I would LOVE to see a resurgence of Volcanic Firearms in SR.

I am taking it, though, that we should be seeing the PDF of Run and Gun by the end of the month, since they
said that it would be out "shortly after" the GH3 in the SR5 info in GH3.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #74 on: <12-19-13/1509:32> »
I am sad: No lever action pistols. I would LOVE to see a resurgence of Volcanic Firearms in SR.
Saw down the barrel of a lever action, saw the shoulder brace down to a pistol grip, and boom:  Mare's Leg!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11