NEWS

Alita: Battle Angel

• 19 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« on: <02-26-19/1010:56> »
I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this movie on the forum here.  If you're a fan of the manga and worried that Hollywood would ruin it (because honestly, that's a very fair concern...) here's a fun youtube review to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfoOkprUaU

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-26-19/1108:06> »
This movie is going to give people an inaccurate idea of what their streetsams can do right out of chargen, isn't it?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-26-19/1130:05> »
Well, there is a thread in the Character Creation forum about her:
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=28957.0

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <02-26-19/1143:08> »
I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this movie on the forum here.  If you're a fan of the manga and worried that Hollywood would ruin it (because honestly, that's a very fair concern...) here's a fun youtube review to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfoOkprUaU

I've yet to see it but everything I have heard says it awesome.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <02-26-19/1528:55> »
Just a frustrating ending... -_- And of course all the speed-love cliches.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #5 on: <02-26-19/1645:54> »
Honestly, I'm not mad at the 'unbelievable pace' at which the two characters created a 'deep' romantic connection.

Because it's a pair of teenagers, for all intents and purposes.  Neither are emotionally equipped to deal responsibly with those sorts of emotions and so in the course of days, they are 'irrevocably in love'.

Just like every teenager is within a week of their new B/GF.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-27-19/2020:00> »
Looking forward to checking this one out...hopefully in the theater ::)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-27-19/2027:51> »
This movie is going to give people an inaccurate idea of what their streetsams can do right out of chargen, isn't it?

Well... so long as they temper their expectations it should still work.

Remember Alita didn't have an URM Berzerker cyborg body right out of chargen... she had to settle for a non minmaxed one to begin with :)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-27-19/2034:46> »
Because it's a pair of teenagers, for all intents and purposes.  Neither are emotionally equipped to deal responsibly with those sorts of emotions and so in the course of days, they are 'irrevocably in love'.

Friar Laurence: (to Romeo, who has just explained his love for Juliet whom he met the previous night and now plans to marry)
Holy Saint Francis, what a change is here!
Is Rosaline, whom thou didst love so dear,
So soon forsaken? Young men's love then lies
Not truly in their hearts, but in their eyes.

Romeo & Juliet, Act II, scene iii.

Teenagers falling in love at the drop of a hat is kind of a staple of fiction. Of course, Shakespeare had enough sense to know that the old trope would probably end up pretty damn badly, which is one of the reasons the full title of his most famous example of the trope is The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet.

But people aren’t buying tickets to Battle Angel for either a realistic romance or a unrealistic-but-fun romantic film style romance. We want to watch cyborgs beat the chrome out of each other.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-27-19/2109:49> »

Teenagers falling in love at the drop of a hat is kind of a staple of fiction.

Teenagers falling in love at the drop of a hat is reality.  And out of love over a single Facebook post, or similarly trivial.  True story.  Parent a few of your own.  Know the joy.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-27-19/2122:55> »

Know the joy.

IF you call it joy....

I call it "An Annoyance to keep track of my kill targets"...

< Hey! I'm a 'Modern Parent'! - I don't believe in Chasity belts. I find cleaning the .44 magnum on the kitchen table gets my point across VERY clearly.>

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-28-19/0807:50> »
Well, there is a thread in the Character Creation forum about her:
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=28957.0
A starting character would have to be a bit lighter than this one as I used Prime rules to make her, but doable with the cash from Stolen Gear, perhaps at 20 rather than 15...
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #12 on: <02-28-19/1533:09> »

Know the joy.

IF you call it joy....

< Hey! I'm a 'Modern Parent'! - I don't believe in Chasity belts. I find cleaning the .44 magnum on the kitchen table gets my point across VERY clearly.>

My personal preference is cleaning the double barrel 12 gauge while sitting in the rocker on the porch. Course, mine are old enough now that I don't get to do that anymore....
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-28-19/1545:25> »
See, you’re both doing it wrong. The father shouldn’t be cleaning his gun when the young lad comes a’courting. No, no... As the man of the house, you should politely answer the door, invite him in, and lead him to the dining room where your teenager is cleaning her AR-15.

I hope to raise my daughters to be independent problem solvers.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-28-19/1641:12> »

Know the joy.

IF you call it joy....

My personal preference is cleaning the double barrel 12 gauge while sitting in the rocker on the porch. Course, mine are old enough now that I don't get to do that anymore....

i have a contract, signed with her foot print.

She's not allowed to date till she's 30.
« Last Edit: <03-01-19/1408:17> by Reaver »