NEWS

Shadow Forum business.

• 13 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« on: <11-05-18/2215:10> »
Ok so it's been lively couple days in the forums. It's something I think we might want to discuss, in calm rational way. I take ISP's statement seriously, and I do think it is important to strive to be kind to newbies. We all want more people playing SR, it's a major part of the whole point of the community. Now that is certainly somewhat at odds with recent events. That said I did feel like I violated at the very least the spirit of the rules when I called our latest troll, like I told Reaver in a PM, I tried to softball it and be cute about it but doesn't that really change the facts. To be clear I don't regret doing it, and I would do it again, I believe in the community and I'm happy to support it. I am happy to eat a ban period or face another consequence as the mods deem appropriate.

To me the important questions are:
What could I have done better? Could this situation have been resolved another way?
Would it have been better to stomp hard on the troll at first site, and not have beaten around the bush for two threads?
I know it's mods job to police the forum, but it's our community and I feel it's important to protect it, the other side to that is if I act to protect it, am I as bad as the trolls?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-18/0016:11> »
I won't be commenting publicly on this as I am directly linked to many of the events... and The folks here can follow the chain of events pretty clearly.

I will say that I have been in contact with Fastjack to discuss my involvement and behavior, and accept my responsibility in the issues as laid out by FJ as well as the consequences as FJ dictates.   
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-18/0101:07> »
Honestly, I think stomping hard on the troll from the get-go WOULD give off an impression of newbie-bashing. Me, I gave up on the guy after 13 posts, but I'm hardly representative and in this case I just tossed on an ignore and walked away. Going at them hard would have been provocative from my side, so I went at them mediocre and bowed out. But people tried to fairly reason with them, so asides from a few people getting frustrated and growing hostile, in general the way that was acted was fine. (Not 100% sure about my own post at that point, though I did try to be rather polite in my phrasings.)

And I think that asides from blind agreements, nothing could have been done here. Obviously whoever they were, they were frustrated with the system and facing a language barrier on top, then decided to grow hostile. That's a move THEY made. Reaver and a few others might have made it worse, but any reasonable person wouldn't have stepped to passive-agressive fight-picking after mod intervention and after someone else got in trouble for harassing them. Some people simply cannot be reasoned with. Especially not people who think DSA is a clear system.

So no, no stomping the trolls. If the person is obviously beyond reason, namecalling won't help, and that definitely won't help with the newbie-impressions. Sometimes you got to just turn away and let someone dig their own grave, sometimes you got to ask a mod for help. Would things have changed if a moderator had quietly talked to them? Given the agressive responses to Jayde Moon in public, I highly doubt it. But it's not up to US to make that decision. The whole idea of 'we protect ourselves, we don't ask for moderator help' is the very attitude that we should avoid.

I'd say the biggest problem here is that while we can report posts for clearly stepping out of line, I don't know what to do when the tone of a debate starts spiralling. At what point am I allowed to report, when it explicitly steps out of line, or can I file a citizen concern before then? How am I supposed to ask for help when these cases pop up? Because if we don't report, the mods don't act, but if the mods don't act, we get stuck in the attitude of 'got to defend yourself, can't depend on mods for tone policing' and things spiral.

Well, the second-biggest problem. The biggest problem is posting "you are a cunt" videos. -,-
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-18/0115:44> »
Eh,
I just checked: It's almost exactly 4 years since I started posting here. I have the same cultural background as N. and despite some acidic discussions I never encountered problems of that kind. Getting poked on the net is nothing that's particularly unique to this forum.
Entering a community as the newby carries in my opinion a certain "bringschuld" (I think it's translated as "obligation to deliver to the creditor") of tolerating the behavior of those who've been there a while.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-18/0221:47> »
If there's an impression that the forums aren't "newbie friendly", at least some of that stems from the fact that a lot of the arguments have already been made.

When a new person drags a horse from the grave and tries to hop on, everyone already knows that horse won't trot, but the calvacade of warnings can feel like a coordinated attack.  That's understandable, and I can see where ISP's comments are derived, sometimes it takes a minute to feel out the climate of a place.

That's just what it is, there is no such forum as the one where someone brand new starts posting and demands things their way and the existing community happily changes everything to accomodate.

But if someone honestly thinks there's some sort of coordinated clique who are favored by the mods trying to somehow deflate a new member's enthusiasm for Shadowrun, they just aren't thinking it through.  They aren't seeing the moderator messages sent to others.  They haven't scoured the various threads to see the times (plural) two supposed buddies have called each other idiots in so many words.

And they aren't thinking about the fact that it is in our best interest to cultivate and grow this community as big as we can get it... and that we all know it.

Questions were asked and sincere responses were offered.  They didn't fit the poster's expectations, so they lashed out.  They accused people of trolling when those people offered views that weren't what they were looking for.

No, these forums are not hostile to new members, especially not in any coordinated sense.

Sure, some individuals are more sarcastic than others, some enjoy contention, some are simply thick-headed... but that's any community.

Anyway, starting to ramble here, I'll close with this:

Any doubts I had about my assessment of the situation, that the single source of the issues was the OP,  evaporated immediately when they circumvented their ban to toss in a few cheap shots...

(Though don't be surprised if Stainless Steel Troll Rats somehow make it into an upcoming Mission...)

That's just like... your opinion, man.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-18/0237:04> »
I do think that was the first time I was ever accused of being a moderator's favorite. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-18/0239:16> »
(Though don't be surprised if Stainless Steel Troll Rats somehow make it into an upcoming Mission...)

Yes please! With tusks and horns! Make them a new KRIME! prototype, because that's definitely something KRIME! would do! ;D

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-18/0242:15> »

Yes please! With tusks and horns! Make them a new KRIME! prototype, because that's definitely something KRIME! would do! ;D

Who ever said something good couldn't come out of a bad situation?

:D

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <11-06-18/0734:44> »
When the original reports came throught, I sent a PM to N and to Reaver, giving both a warning. Reaver accepted it and moved on. Notion doubled-down and worked towards a ban.

I tried to talk with N but, being part of the moderation, I still had to keep the tone firm and authoritarian to make sure the weight of the offense was taken seriously. I don't like when we have to ban people, it lessens the community as a whole.

Ironically, claiming that Michael Chandra is a mod favorite is hilarious when you consider that the bans from a few years back. But I like to think MC learned from that (mostly anyway).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <11-06-18/0739:43> »
My brother will not return to this forum, so I should be fine.

PingGuy

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <11-06-18/1001:44> »
I'm still relatively new around here, but I don't feel like this is a hostile community.  The first time I posted, asking for help to prepare as a GM, I got useful responses right away, even when the intent of my question wasn't clear.  People offered help, and when I attempted to clarify what I was looking for, they engaged with me to try to understand.  I think we were on page two before I got an answer in the direction of what I was looking for.  The difference is in how I responded.  I didn't get upset or chastise those who replied for not giving me the answer I was looking for.  I considered the information that was provided, and continued to pursue my question.  Everything I've asked here has been answered to the best of the ability of the community.

Another area that can be a question on newbie friendliness, is how somebody is dealt with when they chime in with bad info.  As I became more knowledgeable, I tried to engage in threads where I thought I knew the answer.  I wasn't always right, and I wasn't chastised for that.  Corrections and explanations were given, and I learned.  But again, I didn't take offense to those corrections, or those situations could have gone differently, as we've seen over the weekend.

I should also mention that I got a PM (after the first post I mentioned above) from somebody I've never seen post here before.  He said I could message him any time for help with anything.  This community is more than the sum of its forum posts, and I think the recent episode with Firebug shows that.  People who come here looking for help will find it, and those who don't find help probably already had an answer in mind when they arrived, and were just looking for validation.  Or, as we saw the last few days, they don't know how to engage with other grown humans properly.  In this case I think it was a little of both.

adzling

« Reply #11 on: <11-06-18/1050:56> »
"brother"?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <11-06-18/1127:20> »
"brother"?

Not something to be discussed in public.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-06-18/1139:57> »
Hmmm....

2 SSDR's.... one with a post count in the 800s
                  one with a post count of 1