NEWS

Hacking cyberware in SR5.

• 4 Replies

dragonslayerclan

• Newb
« on: <04-27-18/0536:17> »
OK. I know some where I found the page that talked about hacking cyberware, but for the life of me I can not find it again. I might not be looking in the right book. I remember it saying something like you have to be with in 3 meter or something. Can some please help me out here what is the book and what page is it on please. I know you can hack a commlink and get to the cyber if they linked it to the commlink but if they have not is what i am looking for.

My GM is saying they have to be in arms reach of you to do it, but i know some where it said some totally different.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-27-18/0755:20> »
I have never seen or heard of such a rule. It also sounds very much like a house rule.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-27-18/0812:22> »
That's most likely a fragment Form SR4, wäre most people reduced signal range of their gear to prevent hacking
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-27-18/1119:47> »
Also keep in mind that it's a free action to turn a single piece of gear Wireless-Off (or a free action to turn EVERYTHING of yours Wireless-Off).

That means a hacker needs to be subtle with his hacking, or game the initiative system so that his victim can't just shut the 'ware wireless off in between hacker's actions.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-27-18/1236:43> »
OK. I know some where I found the page that talked about hacking cyberware, but for the life of me I can not find it again. I might not be looking in the right book. I remember it saying something like you have to be with in 3 meter or something. Can some please help me out here what is the book and what page is it on please. I know you can hack a commlink and get to the cyber if they linked it to the commlink but if they have not is what i am looking for.

My GM is saying they have to be in arms reach of you to do it, but i know some where it said some totally different.
There is no such thing in SR5.

You don’t need to first hack his commlink.
You don’t need to be within a fixed range.

As long as his cyberwear is wireless enabled and connected to the matrix as a whole (which will enable wireless bonuses) it can be hacked (directly without hacking a “router” such as a commlink).