NEWS

Spell Blades and Summoning Limits

• 6 Replies

Mollari

• Newb
« on: <04-24-18/1953:38> »
Hi there guys two questions:

1) Spell blades (Hard Targets p.192) are spells that take the shape of swords and deal damage blades test net hits and the force of the spell.

Can you counterspell spellblades?

2) Summoning limits. I have a player that is saying because edge breaks limits, they can summon spirits beyond the magic*2 limit. Now to me it's pretty simple; edge breaks dice tests allowing them to pass the limit. It doesn't allow you to declare a limit beyond the 'limit' of magic*2. What do you guys think?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-24-18/1958:49> »
1) Yes, they can be counterspelled.

2) You are correct, nothing gets passed M*2 for spirit caps. If the player persists in the argument, you can always give in to your players and have the spirit use edge against the summoning test. Do that a time or two and he'll either learn o roll up a new character.

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-24-18/2020:30> »
Thanks man for the quick response.

Ta

kainite311

• Chummer
  • PC's are just murder hobo's...
« Reply #3 on: <04-24-18/2120:15> »

2) You are correct, nothing gets passed M*2 for spirit caps. If the player persists in the argument, you can always give in to your players and have the spirit use edge against the summoning test. Do that a time or two and he'll either learn o roll up a new character.

Agreeing with you. Per the description-

"Spellcasting: In a pinch, you can spend reagents to
set the limit for Spellcasting. Rather than using the spell’s
Force as the limit, use the number of drams of reagents
spent."

I don't see anywhere in that statement that says you can exceed the natural Force limit of casting (Magic*2), just the dice limit (as in usable hits) of the spell instead of the Force it was cast at.
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

ShadowMaster

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-27-18/2353:20> »

1) Spell blades (Hard Targets p.192) are spells that take the shape of swords and deal damage blades test net hits and the force of the spell.

2) Summoning limits. I have a player that is saying because edge breaks limits, they can summon spirits beyond the magic*2 limit. Now to me it's pretty simple; edge breaks dice tests allowing them to pass the limit. It doesn't allow you to declare a limit beyond the 'limit' of magic*2. What do you guys think?

1) Counterspelling is done at the time the spell is cast and is used to defend against it affecting you. You can definitely dispel it after the fact. I can see an argument to be made that you can use counterspelling to resist the damage,much like you do to resist powerbolt or manabolt. Makes sense. It's a strange set of spells.

2) Edge only breaks the limit on successes on the dice roll.No where does it say in either edge or summoning/binding that use of edge  breaks the magic x 2 maximum.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <04-28-18/1509:08> »

That's crazy town. It's hits not net hits if i recall. That is just a really stupid way kill your character.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-29-18/0956:46> »

1) Counterspelling is done at the time the spell is cast and is used to defend against it affecting you. You can definitely dispel it after the fact. I can see an argument to be made that you can use counterspelling to resist the damage,much like you do to resist powerbolt or manabolt. Makes sense. It's a strange set of spells.

2) Edge only breaks the limit on successes on the dice roll.No where does it say in either edge or summoning/binding that use of edge  breaks the magic x 2 maximum.

When I said counterspelling I meant dispelling. Apologies.