NEWS

Ancient Civilizations and Aliens

• 17 Replies

TennyJaden

• Newb
« on: <09-14-11/0550:07> »
Hey forum!

I was wondering, are there any materials on the ancient dwarven, elven, wtc. civilizations which are said to have existed, or is that a whole in the history I shall fill as I see fit?

The same thing is, is there also any materials about aliens or would you think, that they would have a place inside the world?

Greetz,
TennyJaden

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #1 on: <09-14-11/0728:39> »
Hey forum!

I was wondering, are there any materials on the ancient dwarven, elven, wtc. civilizations which are said to have existed, or is that a whole in the history I shall fill as I see fit?

Back in the day there was a Shadowrun/Earthdawn connection, that some people liked/still us. You could start there.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-14-11/1039:41> »
There is nothing about aliens because that would be awful.

Ancient History

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-14-11/1054:06> »
There is actually some mention of aliens, although almost always in a conspiracy-theory context, particularly in Portfolio of a Dragon and the Missions adventure book and Cyberpirates!). No actual aliens show up, but that material is there if you want to use it in your games. Those books are for SR 2nd Edition and the mechanics would need to be updated, but the regular setting material can be used as-is. Emergence also features an AI hijacking a space vessel and headed toward Alpha Centauri, and the groups tracking its progress.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <09-14-11/1116:29> »
There's also the hunt for Atlantis (Which actually was a city in Earthdawn/The Fourth World) and it's relics which gets quite dirty and requires Shadowrunners to protect people moving such high-ticket items like clay pots and vellum scrolls.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-14-11/1234:18> »
There was also the Shadowland poster Roswell, who really ran with the von Daniken premise.  He/she came across as more out there than Lone Gunman, but within a specific focus - somewhat funny to read in amongst all the other posts.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #6 on: <09-14-11/1314:11> »
There was also the Shadowland poster Roswell, who really ran with the von Daniken premise.  He/she came across as more out there than Lone Gunman, but within a specific focus - somewhat funny to read in amongst all the other posts.

This is the last place on Earth I had expected to run across the name Erich von Däniken.

Allow me to quote Ghostbusters:
"The purpose of science is to serve mankind. You seem to regard science as some kind of dodge, or hustle. Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You...are a poor scientist, Dr. Venkman!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <09-14-11/1704:56> »
Allow me to comment that Ghostbusters will be in theaters this Halloween!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-14-11/2210:19> »
I prefer, "Back off man. I'm a scientist."
« Last Edit: <09-14-11/2218:47> by James Meiers »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <09-14-11/2219:13> »
I am spoiling for a chance to just shout out in someone's face, "We came, we saw, we kicked it's hoop!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #10 on: <09-15-11/1638:17> »
I liked Egon a lot more when I realized that while he might seem like the voice of reason, he's probably the craziest and scariest of the Ghostbusters.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #11 on: <09-15-11/1642:19> »
I liked Egon a lot more when I realized that while he might seem like the voice of reason, he's probably the craziest and scariest of the Ghostbusters.

"Egon, is this like the time you tried to drill a hole through your head?"

"That would have worked, if you hadn't stopped me!!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-15-11/2130:46> »
"It's always the quiet ones."
Never, ever underestimate what an engineer can do.  Especially one that works theoretically.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-15-11/2236:41> »
"Egon, is this like the time you tried to drill a hole through your head?"

"That would have worked, if you hadn't stopped me!!"

The best part is that Ramis ad-libbed his response.

Speaking of which, sort of, there is a neat Vertigo Crime Graphic Novel by Christos Gage and Christ Samnee (before he got all Captain America big time) called Area 10 about a forced trepanning victim.