NEWS

Equipping Armor in Combat

• 5 Replies

Xelian

• Newb
« on: <09-08-18/1012:54> »
Basically what the topic says? How long does it take? I have the vague feeling I have read something somewhere about that (I may be messing the systems though) but I can't seem to find where

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-18/1037:09> »
I don't recall seeing anything codifying the topic.  Generally given the nature of Shadowrun combats, if you're caught in one and you don't already have armor on about the least effective thing you can do is spending your valuable pass(es) putting armor on.  Instead of doing things that render the need for armor moot (like killing the other guy first, or breaking contact, or etc).

Still, if it's really important.. you can rule of thumb it.  Something like an armored jacket can probably be slipped on in one complex action, if it were very handily hanging somewhere nearby.  Putting on any kind of bodysuit or spirits-forbid heavy armor is probably just flatly going to take too long to be worth attempting mid-combat.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-18/1047:12> »
There are rules in R&G for putting on Securetech PPP:
Putting something on your arms or legs takes 4 Complex Actions, Vitals takes 8 Complex.
From that you can interpolate that getting on your armor jacket will take you about 4 to 5 Complex Actions
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Xelian

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-08-18/1134:05> »
I don't recall seeing anything codifying the topic.  Generally given the nature of Shadowrun combats, if you're caught in one and you don't already have armor on about the least effective thing you can do is spending your valuable pass(es) putting armor on.  Instead of doing things that render the need for armor moot (like killing the other guy first, or breaking contact, or etc).

Still, if it's really important.. you can rule of thumb it.  Something like an armored jacket can probably be slipped on in one complex action, if it were very handily hanging somewhere nearby.  Putting on any kind of bodysuit or spirits-forbid heavy armor is probably just flatly going to take too long to be worth attempting mid-combat.

Well usually this is the case. But the situation I have in mind will give them a few combat turns to prepare before drek hits the fan. And they will inevitably ask how long will it take for them to put the armor on. Maybe some extended action.... Agility+Reaction with a Threshold of Armor/2 and interval of one complex action?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-18/1152:35> »

Well usually this is the case. But the situation I have in mind will give them a few combat turns to prepare before drek hits the fan. And they will inevitably ask how long will it take for them to put the armor on. Maybe some extended action.... Agility+Reaction with a Threshold of Armor/2 and interval of one complex action?

I'd just dispense with attempting a rule and arbitrarily assign times armor by armor, based on how the armor is described in the fluff.  Personally I'd see an Armored Jacket as being about the simplest thing to don, but it has nothing to do with its armor value and everything to do with simply being a jacket.  Securetech PPPs for example need to be strapped/buckled in place, bodysuits (generally) require you to remove existing clothing THEN you laboriously go in one limb at a time, and etc.  You might decide certain heavy/SWAT style armors with very similar armor ratings are actually donned in very different ways, and can take very different amounts of time to get in to.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-18/1332:37> »
As always, whatever works for your group.

But armoured clothing is a great way to get around all this.  You get dressed, and you're armoured!   ;D

My group bought armoured vests for the street gang they took control of, which just slide on, tighten the straps, and secure the cup piece over the groin, done, and can be done even over their leather jackets.  They got the 4XL sized vests because the gang is mostly made up of Trolls.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11